FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe calls it - they're bulldozing CC unaltered to the 2015 subscriber goal.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aindreas Gallagher
Adobe calls it - they're bulldozing CC unaltered to the 2015 subscriber goal.
on Jan 16, 2014 at 9:51:30 pm

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/378/6433

that's pretty much telling everyone to go and whistle. they must have done their sums and figure they can brute force it to 3.5/4 million by Q4 2015.

so if you go into CC your work is pretty much guaranteed to be on the rental hook forever.

food for thought, if you work across AE, premiere and PS.
that's a lot of stuff caught up in a technically temperamental subscription that just got industrially hacked, a hack that they didn't speak about for weeks after the fact.

either way, adobe are jettisoning around half their 8 million CS install base, and going like hell to get 50% on working lifetime subscriptions by the end of 2015.

classy bunch of people adobe.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
Re: Adobe calls it - they're bulldozing CC unaltered to the 2015 subscriber goal.
on Jan 16, 2014 at 10:22:58 pm

I completely agree with you on this.

I recently had to go back to an eight year old project (FCP 5) and had to install on a snow leo partition because 7 had problems updating the project. Had I not saved my old install disks and serial numbers I would have been SOL as there was no other way to create an XML so 7 could open it.

I can't imagine why people aren't going bananas over this. The prospect of being unable to open older work does my head in.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
Re: Adobe calls it - they're bulldozing CC unaltered to the 2015 subscriber goal.
on Jan 16, 2014 at 10:53:54 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "food for thought, if you work across AE, premiere and PS.
that's a lot of stuff caught up in a technically temperamental subscription that just got industrially hacked, a hack that they didn't speak about for weeks after the fact."

Considering all the server side code they go their hands on plus access to ubiquitous things like Acrobat and Flash I really don't anyone drooling over messing with someone's Photoshop. ;) Lot more lucrative fish in the Internet's sea.

[Darren Roark] "I recently had to go back to an eight year old project (FCP 5) and had to install on a snow leo partition because 7 had problems updating the project. Had I not saved my old install disks and serial numbers I would have been SOL as there was no other way to create an XML so 7 could open it. "

If 8 years from now you needed to open a PPro 6 project in PPro 6 you should just download it from Adobe for $20 (if you weren't already a CC member). Not really a horrible of a trade off compared to saving every installer/disc and every serial number forever, IMO.

[Darren Roark] "I can't imagine why people aren't going bananas over this. The prospect of being unable to open older work does my head in."

Not everyone is in the same boat. I'm a hired gun and with the projects I typically work on once I'm done, I'm done.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jan 16, 2014 at 11:13:46 pm
Last Edited By Aindreas Gallagher on Jan 16, 2014 at 11:20:29 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Not everyone is in the same boat. I'm a hired gun and with the projects I typically work on once I'm done, I'm done."

me too - but realistically - this is a much bigger issue: every time you boot up the software, you're on their dime.
i wouldn't mind but it looks like they're incompetent managing the service too. and the backend support is two windup woodpeckers tapping the keyboard.

It's not a great situation.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jan 16, 2014 at 11:28:12 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "If 8 years from now you needed to open a PPro 6 project in PPro 6 you should just download it from Adobe for $20 (if you weren't already a CC member). Not really a horrible of a trade off compared to saving every installer/disc and every serial number forever, IMO."

It was a music video I directed that I needed an HD copy of as it was posted in SD but shot in HD. This may sound like anal retentive overkill, but I archived that project with spanned DVDs in Toast with a DMG of FCS and a text doc with the serial. I got in the habit of that after I was burned in a different situation.

Although Adobe does have most older CS versions available to download if needed, there is no plan at the moment to ensure future compatibility with CC for old projects. It is nice to hand off the work and go home, but my reel of personal work has greatly benefited from being able to spruce them up by opening the original projects and making new masters.

If there was a guarantee from Adobe that any version of a CC will work as long as my subscription is current (and I'm on a compatible OS, computer, etc) I would feel better about it. As of now they don't. I'd even be willing to toss them an extra $20 for that.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jan 16, 2014 at 10:46:55 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "classy bunch of people adobe."

Do you mean you can't find the class in one organization posting the following two statements.

"With regards to file access, Adobe completely agrees that customers should have access to their files if they choose to stop their Creative Cloud membership. Our job is to delight our customers with innovation, but there are a number of options open to us here and we expect to have news around this issue shortly."

and then this

"The main reason there hasn't been an update is because we don't have an update. We are continuing to explore solutions around this (as we know the current solutions don't meet the needs of everyone), but we don't expect to make any changes / announcements around this in the near future."

What we need to do here is parse the difference between the phrase "shortly" vs. "the near future." Surely the near future is further into the future than shortly is, isn't it?

I think it's merely a perfect illustration of the old dictum that "a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." In this case the fools being Adobe's customers and, well, we all know who the hobgoblins are.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jan 16, 2014 at 11:10:11 pm

nice herb.

it's just the feeling that they sat and waited to see if they could realistically roll the entire remaining base over.
for a crowd that bleat about listening to their customers like its the only words they ever learnt,
they are about as open an ear on this issue as a loan shark in a bad mood.

also:
Our job is to delight our customers with innovation, but there are a number of options open to us here and we expect to have news around this issue shortly."

sometimes I could barf listening to adobe.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 16, 2014 at 11:31:06 pm

The problem is that if you are a Freelancer whose clients start to use CC, then you will have to subscribe to stay current on the software.

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jan 16, 2014 at 11:44:58 pm

how much CC penetration are you seeing? I'm not seeing that much. at this rate we'll be on CS6 and FCP7 in 2018.

adobe feel to a lot of people like uncommunicative bad faith partners, run by investment shareholders, trying to strong arm their base against their will.

[Steve Connor] "The problem is that if you are a Freelancer whose clients start to use CC, then you will have to subscribe to stay current on the software.
"

the bottom line is that nobody likes adobe for this, and more basically, nobody trusts adobe on this. and with good reason - technically, they look like morons running it, the support is running them five quid a year, and millions of people just had to scratch their credit card because adobe don't know their ass from their elbow when it comes to pulling monthly rent for twenty year old software.

say we all like photoshop and we all like john knoll,
but there is some weird crowd running that shop, making a killing daily on their share sell offs, and, overall, as a bed to get in, it looks like a freaky bed to me.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 17, 2014 at 2:35:45 am

I'm seeing a lot of CC. So much CC that I had to turn on the subscription.

It's not really from video artists (although I just had a project come to me today) but it's mostly from Ai, Ps, and Id files I get for artwork.

It seems the print/web designers have really jumped on board.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Jan 17, 2014 at 1:38:30 pm

Near future can also refer to anytime after now.

Ricardo marty

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 17, 2014 at 2:46:44 pm

[Ricardo Marty] "Near future can also refer to anytime after now."

But what happens then?

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jan 17, 2014 at 2:53:53 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "[Ricardo Marty] "Near future can also refer to anytime after now."

But what happens then?"

And how can you be in two places at once when your not anywhere at all?

(cultural reference -- 2 points for the first correct answer.)

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 17, 2014 at 3:57:19 pm

[Herb Sevush] "(cultural reference -- 2 points for the first correct answer.)"

I am not going to earn any internet points for today, but the question reminds of this:

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jan 17, 2014 at 4:18:48 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I am not going to earn any internet points for today"

Apparently you were not a card carrying pot smoking draft dodging no good long haired hippy commie college agitator in the early 70's.

Too bad.

"As you can see this car comes fully equipped with a complete line of extras that was deigned with your mind in mind."

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 17, 2014 at 4:31:56 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Apparently you were not a card carrying pot smoking draft dodging no good long haired hippy commie college agitator in the early 70's."

Well, no, but I was fabricated directly from the ilk.

So that, at least, must account for something??

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jan 17, 2014 at 5:03:42 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Well, no, but I was fabricated directly from the ilk. So that, at least, must account for something??"

Only if you believe that the sins of the father should be visited upon the son. Otherwise, just listen to a little Firesign Theatre first hand, bong is optional (although recommended.)

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 17, 2014 at 5:33:17 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Only if you believe that the sins of the father should be visited upon the son. "

I guess then we would have to agree how mom got pre go in the first place, and by whom.

It would also depend on your world view of sin.

[Herb Sevush] "Otherwise, just listen to a little Firesign Theatre first hand,"

Will do!

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Jan 18, 2014 at 5:35:20 am

Love FST!

"I Think We're All Bozos on This Bus" is must listening for anyone who wants to truly understand The Future.

Enjoy!

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jan 18, 2014 at 10:09:06 pm

Bozos is their masterpiece.

"Consternation turned to elucidation:
If you push something hard enough it will fall over: Fudd's first law of opposition.
Followed by Testicles Deviant to the first law:
If it goes in, it must come out."

I believe all of western science comes from these first principals.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Jan 16, 2014 at 11:20:54 pm

I bit on early bird pricing his past April. I will not be renewing.

Tim

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jan 16, 2014 at 11:59:13 pm

[Darren Roark] "If there was a guarantee from Adobe that any version of a CC will work as long as my subscription is current (and I'm on a compatible OS, computer, etc) I would feel better about it. As of now they don't. I'd even be willing to toss them an extra $20 for that.
"

Adobe has said that at least 5 previous versions of all software will be available to via CC starting with the CS 6 apps. Of course that only goes as far as you are willing to trust Adobe.

[TImothy Auld] "I bit on early bird pricing his past April. I will not be renewing."

I was in a similar boat this past August. Then a really good gig came up in Oct. that required CC so I turned my subscription back on.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jan 17, 2014 at 12:56:42 am

I can still see Adobe's thinking on this, their apps must have been some of the most pirated out there. Though whether they've been able to change this with CC I don't know, I think I've heard of people who've got pirated CC apps.

But Adobe must realize they've opened themselves up to a competitor swooping in to scoop up the section of the market that just DOES NOT want a subscription service. Be it Pixelmator or Acorn or whoever.

I pay the full price but I use so little of the suite. If a decent alternative comes along, I'd definitely consider it.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jan 17, 2014 at 3:18:24 am

[Marcus Moore] "I can still see Adobe's thinking on this, their apps must have been some of the most pirated out there. Though whether they've been able to change this with CC I don't know, I think I've heard of people who've got pirated CC apps."

Yes, you can pirate those CC apps...which I guess mean's that they are heroic patriots of the human race, right? I mean, if Adobe is slavery, indentured servitude, Feudal lordery, or whatever nonsense is the current flavor of the day, then those pirating those apps should be seen as nothing less than heroic figures in the fight for consumer freedom, no?

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jan 17, 2014 at 4:10:18 am

Ultimately it's up to Adobe to decide what to charge for their software, and the consequences are twofold:

1. Some people are going to pirate them- but in truth some people are just cheap and don't want to pay for anything and those people make me sick.

2. Some people are going to look for alternatives to the Adobe's products.

As long as I use their software I'll continue to pay for it. Everyone should, and especially anyone who's making money off it's back.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jan 18, 2014 at 5:11:54 pm

[Marcus Moore] "As long as I use their software I'll continue to pay for it. Everyone should, and especially anyone who's making money off it's back."

But if Adobe is indentured slavery and monopoly and feudal lordship, why should they? Shouldn't you pirate it and strike a blow for freedom?

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 18, 2014 at 5:16:42 pm

[Gary Huff] "But if Adobe is indentured slavery and monopoly and feudal lordship, why should they? Shouldn't you pirate it and strike a blow for freedom?"

Has anyone suggested that?

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jan 19, 2014 at 3:09:31 pm

I don't think you can draw any kind of realistic parallel between curtailing someone's personal freedoms and a company's business model.

If you're making a living wage off Adobe's products, $50 a month for your core software shouldn't be breaking anyone's bank- especially if you're heavily invested in the Adobe ecosystem.

For someone like me, who primarily uses FCPX and Motion, but who does use Photoshop, and to a very limited extent AE, Illustrator, and Acrobat- the value proposition is a little dodgier; and I've told Adobe reps this. I'd like to see more flexible pricing, but I'm not sure it's worthwhile for them.

I see Adobe's new model as akin to Cable providers- It works good if you only use ONE application (and can just pay $19.99), and works great if you're a company that uses products across the entire CC lineup in all the different disciplines, but for those that just use a couple- Adobe is basically selling you a bundle of stuff you're probably not going to use.

I can justify it- but the monthly cost WILL keep me looking at where products like Pixelmator are at, and what sort of value they can provide.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]