FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lightworks (for Mac) continues ...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Franz Bieberkopf
Lightworks (for Mac) continues ...
on Jan 11, 2014 at 8:27:13 pm

Lightworks for Mac was announced almost 3 years ago, with work to begin on the Mac version originally slated for late 2011.

Editshare demoed the mac version at NAB 2013, with a public beta programme expected last summer and Linux and Mac versions expected "by the end of 2013".
http://www.redsharknews.com/technology/item/648-lightworks-for-mac-revealed...
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/lightworks-for-mac/

A public beta of 11.5 for Windows and Linux was announced last month, but the Mac version is still an unknown.
http://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=19&id=58923...

Current discussion on the forums seems optimistic and vague:
"There is an announcement on Facebook from December saying: "Yes, EditShare is planning to release an alpha version of Lightworks for Mac by February or sooner. […] I'm not speaking for Editshare, it's just what they put up on Facebook.They're talking about the release version of 11.5 happening around the end of this month, so it might be a good idea to check daily as that time approaches." (User: bryandris)
http://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=29&id=58953...

Franz.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Lightworks (for Mac) continues ...
on Jan 12, 2014 at 4:46:25 pm

This might have been one company that was more cautious than optimistic with Apple hardware.

Autodesk seems to have known something.

Adobe was going to support whatever happened.

Avid had to keep the Mac in play.

Final Cut Pro was most likely going to release a Windows version (kidding).

In all seriousness, Lightworks has the least incentive to develop for Mac amidst all the uncertainty two years ago, no?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 12, 2014 at 5:32:19 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Autodesk seems to have known something."

What do you mean?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 12, 2014 at 6:05:05 pm

Autodesk went forward with SMAC when the newest Mac to date was an iMac.

Sure, when you factor in development time, perhaps it was a coincidence, but they pushed forward when the newest MacPro was a paltry refresh of the old one.

It just seems like they might have known something the general public did not.

/Speculation

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 13, 2014 at 7:22:34 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Autodesk went forward with SMAC when the newest Mac to date was an iMac. Sure, when you factor in development time, perhaps it was a coincidence, but they pushed forward when the newest MacPro was a paltry refresh of the old one. It just seems like they might have known something the general public did not."

Gotcha.

Here's my counter-speculation.

I think the timing is coincidence. I think they introduced Smoke for Mac because they wanted to get onto the desktop, and because it was easier to port from Linux to Mac than it would have been to port from Linux to Windows.

The Mac Pro has never been an amazing host for Smoke, because it's kind of new that Macs have decent graphics cards. CPU is not enormously important for Smoke, which does a lot of processing via OpenGL on a single GPU and which stores uncompressed (or lightly compressed) frames on disk.

Smoke doesn't support multiple GPUs, and it doesn't even support Mavericks yet -- something about changes in how textures are loaded onto the GPU in 10.9. If they knew in any detail what what was coming, I think they have a pretty funny way of showing it.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 13, 2014 at 7:34:02 pm

[Walter Soyka] "If they knew in any detail what what was coming, I think they have a pretty funny way of showing it."

And it's much less fun. :(

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 13, 2014 at 8:19:11 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "And it's much less fun. :("

Sorry for wet-blanketing the thread!

Is Mavericks fun? I'm not upgrading to 10.9 (and thus FCPX 10.1 to see firsthand what all the media management fuss is about) until Autodesk supports it.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 13, 2014 at 8:31:23 pm

I like Tags.

I think the new OS feels really good, even on older hardware. On new hardware, everything feels very smooth and the OS seems pretty highly tuned.

I am pleased, overall, with most everything so far, especially if you use most of the Apple ecosystem. All disparate Apple devices have never felt like one big device as much as they do now. It really is quite remarkable.

There's some weird AV Foundation hang ups, but I will continue to be an eternal optimist.

I had to wait for Mavericks support on the SAN, so I know how you feel.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 13, 2014 at 9:32:11 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I like Tags."

Looking forward to trying them. How can you actually use tags metadata?

Be had metadata in the filesystem right a way back when, and no one has really gotten around to implementing it so brilliantly.

This is Haiku, but BeOS did this decades ago:
https://vimeo.com/26683171

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 13, 2014 at 9:53:33 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Looking forward to trying them. How can you actually use tags metadata?"

I think it's still early days, but I use them as all knowing 'folders' without the bankers box to store them.

I'm also able to pull multiple files I need without having to dig in to multiple folders. As along as I have tagged the files, I can click on the tag and grab files and move (or upload) them from anywhere.

It has the metadata advantage where physical location isn't the concern.

Unfortunately, Tags don't show up in spotlight, and there's not a lot of integration between FCPX and OS Tags yet but it seems like there could be, and you can't ripple a Tag down a folder structure.

But even so, I like them, and I like the possibilites.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Jan 14, 2014 at 6:14:01 pm

Jeremy, what are you tagging and with what? Client names? Deliverables as (deliverable)?
thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 14, 2014 at 6:31:55 pm

[Richard Herd] "Jeremy, what are you tagging and with what? Client names? Deliverables as (deliverable)?
thanks!"

A mixture.

Mostly, it's by job but sometimes it will be a generic something like "JobName_ArtWork" so that no matter where in the Finder the files are, I can access all of the artwork for that piece and subsequently select them all and drag them to another location if need be, like a portable drive, LTO archive, or upload site.

It helps when I have separate but related jobs in different Finder folders. The Tags supercede that hierarchy without duplication.

Of course, files can have more than one Tag so they can also be in multiple "groups" without the duplication.

I am just getting on with it, but so far, it saves a lot of manually searching around and having multiple Finder windows (and now tabs) open.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]