FORUMS: list search recent posts

at least they're consistent

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
at least they're consistent
on Jan 9, 2014 at 2:34:59 am

"Projects in Aperture are called Events in iPhoto. Likewise, Events in iPhoto are called Projects in Aperture"

I haven't tried the new iMovie but I would assume

that since Projects are stored in events in FC, that events would be stored in projects in iMovie.

That woulds be great since when they rewrite FC again they could steal from iMovie and call a project a project and then call the library the Project folder. And just to make things confusing to anyone who grew up using FCP X, they could call the timeline a timeline because the name Project would now mean the container for events and timelines.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: at least they're consistent
on Jan 9, 2014 at 3:07:48 am

Nope. Aperture is the odd man out. iMovie and FCP are the same code.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jan 10, 2014 at 1:53:22 am

Heh.

The hierarchy should probably be named something like Library -> Collection -> Sequence instead of Library -> Event -> Project.

I don't think using the term 'project' for either sequences, events or libraries really makes sense. There is no organizational unit in FCP X that neatly matches what is colloquially meant by 'project' (all the elements associated with one particular job) because its database structure allows for more flexibility than that. A library isn't a project because it can contain elements from multiple jobs, an event isn't a project because a single job can use elements from multiple events, and a 'project' isn't a project because most jobs will involve the creation of more than once sequence.

I understand why Apple didn't want to rename 'projects' and 'events' from 10.0.x to 10.1, but it really would have made more sense if they had.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 10, 2014 at 5:26:05 am

I was, in OP, just kidding cause

"Projects in Aperture are called Events in iPhoto. Likewise, Events in iPhoto are called Projects in Aperture"

is pretty Alice in Wonderland for two Apps that have been married at the hip.

Bottom line: these are just folders and sub-folders that can be named whatever you like. What's in the library? Media. It's a media folder, just like we have media drives.

Libraries have been the database name for a collection of stored data in the finder for a long time. Many Apps can only open one library at a time. FC and Aperture can open many. So the libraries become Master folders or collections of data that you wish to open when you work on a given "project." To me that makes them FC Project folders even if they contain more than one related project.

The purpose of the library was so end users who didn't know what they were doing wouldn't start moving files out of them. Leave that for the app.

BTW many apps are databases. In spreadsheets, I don't see anyone renaming columns rows and cells. And each use of the spreadsheet app produces a document. A spreadsheet document. Or perhaps an Excel document or a Numbers document. That's the spreadsheet version of a timeline.

And these are stored in folders on my hard drive as I wish depending on my needs. I have master folders and sub-folders.

I like having each library be one project or perhaps several related projects (three performances by the same band). That becomes crystal to me when I name it. I don't mind knowing that the actual container is a database 'library' under the hood. But a timeline is a timeline and its a beautiful name for it. It's linear in a nonlinear world.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]