FORUMS: list search recent posts

2014, New Year Resolute: FORUM NAME CHANGE

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Franz Bieberkopf
2014, New Year Resolute: FORUM NAME CHANGE
on Jan 8, 2014 at 7:53:34 pm
Last Edited By Franz Bieberkopf on Jan 8, 2014 at 9:03:17 pm

It's 2014. I'll again attempt to push the forum beyond "yea" and "nay", as I feel the potential of this forum is slowly slipping away.

I'm not sure who thinks the debate over X is the best catalyst of discussion over current editing tech, workflow, and theory (though it may once have been), but I'm willing to speculate it's a minority of participants here.

Observations:

- Aside from the recent buzz around Mac Pro and X 10.1, the most interesting posts are "OT"; a broader moniker might encourage more.

- The forum generally suffers from a lack of new points of view (ie attracting new participants). The lack of women is a particularly glaring manifestation of this. A recent unnamed participant, since booted, is another. A shift in label (ie. forum name) might suggest a more welcoming atmosphere as well as a broader interest.

Forums live or die by their participants. Some change might expand the horizons.

Franz.

(Upvotes and downvotes would be one way to express your opinion if you have no further comment.)

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
Other Forums
on Jan 8, 2014 at 7:54:30 pm
Last Edited By Franz Bieberkopf on Jan 8, 2014 at 8:18:56 pm

As I hold little hope the above will effect change, I'm wondering what forums people are finding the most dynamic currently (in terms of tech, workflow, theory.)

In particular, I'd be interested in hearing where Chris H., Walter S., David L., Herb, and Aindreas are finding the most valued participations, links, and digressions.

... but I'm interested in hearing about good forums from anyone.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
Re: Other Forums
on Jan 9, 2014 at 2:43:11 am

[Franz Bieberkopf] " I'd be interested in hearing where Chris H., Walter S., David L., Herb, and Aindreas are finding the most valued participations, links, and digressions."

This is still the most interesting forum for me. I drop in on the Legacy and PPro forums to see if anything's broken, the CC or Not Forum when I want to feel superior to the band of madmen muttering to themselves, and the SAN forum when I want to feel stupid. I'm fine with the name of this forum as it is because it is the exact question I am pondering while legacy is rendering (which is fairly often.)Any forum title that contains the word "lounge" will draw no traffic. As for attracting women, my whole life is testimony to the fact that I have nothing intelligent to say on that subject.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 12, 2014 at 6:32:06 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "As I hold little hope the above will effect change, I'm wondering what forums people are finding the most dynamic currently (in terms of tech, workflow, theory.) In particular, I'd be interested in hearing where Chris H., Walter S., David L., Herb, and Aindreas are finding the most valued participations, links, and digressions."

On naming: very difficult question. I see your point about continuing to encourage new participation, but "general interest" forums rarely foster the same passionate contributions we've seen here. Like Jeremy said, this forum started in the FCP Legend forum because of an event, and it was named for its content. Changing the name may not get the results you are seeking; the name was never the source of the value here.

I wonder if dual-naming would be viable: two forum links here that share content. That'll keep the FCPX or Not thing going, while providing a new entry point for people with less product-specific interests.

This is very Apple- and editorial-centric and thus ebbs and flows considerably with product announcements that affect Apple-using editors -- a description that hasn't really fit me for years. I like Jeremy's idea of being the change we want to see. We could all be more proactive in expanding the conversation here to other areas. If it takes on a life of its own as the original debate did, maybe the naming question will become easier to answer.

On other resources: this forum is my virtual water cooler, and I haven't found another place quite like this one.

I'm on the flame-news list and follow Autodesk's Smoke forum, and while these occasionally have interesting diversions, they are almost always product specific, not general interest. I read CML to geek out on color science.

Twitter has some pretty vibrant discussions, too, but 140 characters is tough for thorough (read: long-winded) folks like me.

What specifically are you interested in discussing? Is it something we can make happen here?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Jan 12, 2014 at 8:02:45 pm

[Walter Soyka] ""general interest" forums rarely foster the same passionate contributions we've seen here. Like Jeremy said, this forum started in the FCP Legend forum because of an event, and it was named for its content. Changing the name may not get the results you are seeking; the name was never the source of the value here."

Walter,

You're probably right in terms of "general interest", but I think that participation and breadth of subject matter has started to atrophy here - it's been more far ranging (and chaotic) in the past. At some point "FCP X or not" is not the draw it once may have been (and I'd argue that largely we're past that point - and I'll speculate that forum numbers would show this.)

On the other hand, the window that the debate opened (onto the larger landscape) is more relevant than ever - I think it demonstrated a real need for a dynamic forum to meet the churn of post production (and specifically editing).

It might be put more provocatively: The discussion needs to move to where the puck will be.

[Walter Soyka] "This is very Apple- and editorial-centric and thus ebbs and flows considerably with product announcements that affect Apple-using editors -- a description that hasn't really fit me for years."

The FCP X or Not heading will do little to encourage change in that sense, and much to retrench that idea.

[Walter Soyka] "I wonder if dual-naming would be viable: two forum links here that share content."

This is, typical of your contributions, a genius idea. I hope Tim will seriously consider it.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 13, 2014 at 4:47:33 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "[Walter Soyka] "I wonder if dual-naming would be viable: two forum links here that share content."

This is, typical of your contributions, a genius idea. I hope Tim will seriously consider it."

The Cow already has a function like this on some forums.

Head over here: http://forums.creativecow.net/canonmarkii

See those checkboxes at the top? Those check boxes aggregate any and all information that has those tagged words from all forums, not just the Canon MkII forum. If you hang around, you'll see that sometimes people get confused saying, "hey, i didn't post in this forum, yet I got a response from you in this forum. What happened?"

I have suggested to Tim, not too long ago, that Cow users should have more control as to what they see on every page when they sign in to the Cow. Right now, the Cow is pretty much divided up by forum. This makes a lot of sense for many reasons, but it also keeps things in conversation "buckets" (and advertising buckets). I think that all your preferences should be on every page you visit, not just a per user home page.

In order to throw topics in to a larger pool for more viewing, some sort of search/sort/aggregation/preference mechanism needs to be employed, but that means that I might not see the same things as you Franz, or you Walter.

I think there's a lot of lurkers here, Franz. Keep posting cool topics, and perhaps you will get the virtual peers you are looking for to respond.

I do not think there's a magic button to curate the content you'd like to see more of, otherwise it would have been completed already.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Jan 14, 2014 at 3:49:03 pm

Anyone know of a desktop cinegram plugin for PPRO. FCPX or PPRO? I know the Flixel app is only available for iphone and ipad presently with a cinegram pro desktop releasing in the near future. Didn't know if any 3rd party companies had a similar pluggin solution as of yet.

Telly Award Winning Editor, Motion Gfx Artist, Colorist
MotionFoundry, Inc. Post: Verizon, GM, Kohl's, 3 Doors Down, L'Oreal, IKEA, Kelloggs, Toyota

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 14, 2014 at 4:08:44 pm

It seems like you'd be able to do this easily within the editing program with still frames and transform tools if this is what you mean?

http://cinemagram.tumblr.com

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Jan 14, 2014 at 4:12:30 pm

Well I know at CES (I wasn't there) last week Panasonic showcased a collaborative work with Flixel. I don't know if it's just going to be an app in the camera or something that you can import footage into. It's not released yet. But I guess that style is on the cusp of trending now. Americas Top Model, Macy's etc are using the effect. I thought it might be cool to use the app and have access to its parameters rather than try to re-invent the wheel in AE so-to-speak.

MotionFoundry, Inc. Post: Verizon, GM, Kohl's, 3 Doors Down, L'Oreal, IKEA, Kelloggs, Toyota

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 14, 2014 at 4:24:20 pm

Flixel seems t be something different.

Are you talking cinegram, or cinemagraph? There's a difference.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Jan 14, 2014 at 4:25:43 pm

I'm sorry. Cinemagraph

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 14, 2014 at 4:30:46 pm

I am unsure of any plugins that are in use directly for this. You can knock them out in Ae pretty quickly, and you can even do them in Photoshop.

If I were to try and create a cinemagraph in FCPX, I'd use SliceX and maybe TrackX if needed.

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Jan 14, 2014 at 4:31:28 pm

thanks!

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
Re: Other Forums, Or This One
on Jan 12, 2014 at 8:08:39 pm
Last Edited By Franz Bieberkopf on Jan 12, 2014 at 8:12:55 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "That being said, I would encourage you to post more insights on theory, post more new points of view. Basically, start more discussions about the subjects you care about and make it more of what you want it to be."

[Walter Soyka] "What specifically are you interested in discussing? Is it something we can make happen here?"

At the risk of sounding like I'm proposing an orthodoxy, I'll throw out a general breakdown of my own interests - the things I'm generally on the look-out for in terms of information, links, new ideas and deeper understanding:

Technology:
- camera sensors, format, codec technology
- I/O hardware
- colour and monitoring (theory and technology)
- computer hardware and processing (i.e. Windows vs. Mac; GPGPU, etc.)

Workflow:
- format, codec workflow
- editing prep
- metadata and organizational questions
- masters, delivery, and distribution
- archive and long term problems

Theory:
- comparisons of NLEs (performance questions, but also paradigmatic questions)
- comparisons of workflow and how technology shapes, informs, or limits workflow
- approaches to editing problems
- approaches to structure (and narrative) in editing
- everything else

I think the only value of such (an incomplete) list is to open the doors a bit, and encourage posts and the idea of a broader focus.

And perhaps these posts are more of a question - whether others share the perspective I'm expressing.

Franz.

Return to posts index

tony west
Re: 2014, New Year Resolute: FORUM NAME CHANGE
on Jan 8, 2014 at 8:36:41 pm

You bring up some very interesting points Franz.

Any thoughts on what you would like to see it changed to?

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Jan 8, 2014 at 8:43:41 pm

Tony,

"The Editor's Lounge" is the right flavour, I think - it suggests the right thing, anyway. But I believe it was Chris H. who pointed out it's taken (sort of):

http://editorslounge.com/

However, I think with the current collection of minds, a new forum name would not be difficult to come up with. (Well, it would be difficult, torturous, and controversial, but worthwhile.)

Franz.

Return to posts index

tony west
on Jan 8, 2014 at 8:48:47 pm

too bad it's taken, that's a cool name and seems more like what goes on here.

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Jan 8, 2014 at 9:01:22 pm
Last Edited By Franz Bieberkopf on Jan 8, 2014 at 9:01:43 pm

[tony west] "too bad it's taken"

Tony,

... "taken" probably overstates it; they don't have an online forum (and in fact they have links to cow forums posted).

But "The COW Editing Forum" would do fine too (though somewhat bland).

Franz.

Return to posts index

willy pimentel
on Jan 8, 2014 at 8:41:50 pm
Last Edited By willy pimentel on Jan 8, 2014 at 8:42:36 pm

I am very annoyed about the fact that this forum is still named "Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate Forum”. After 2 years of use and dependent on fcpx, i think that the cow needs to stop disrespecting and change the moniker name of the forum. Is not relevant anymore as more and more are learning x…
we got to change the moniker and keep up with the times!!! :(

Willy Pimentel
Motion Graphics Editor/VIz Artist/Trio/Camera Director -
Macbook Pro 2011 thunderbolt/ TBolt Display/ 2 SSD Hds /Lacie Tbolt

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jan 8, 2014 at 9:08:05 pm
Last Edited By Jeff Kirkland on Jan 8, 2014 at 9:09:43 pm

I agree. I participate in the FCPX Techniques forum from time to time but rarely visit here as I have zero interest in debating the merits of the software I've used (and love using) day in, day out for the last two years. The need for debate is long gone.

You won't find me on the Premiere Pro or Avid forum constantly telling users why their NLEs suck and I often wonder what drives people to come here and argue the point about software they neither like or nor use. Surely that effort would be much better spent conversing with users of whatever NLE they do work with?

I do appreciate that the FCPX Techniques forum is there for those who want constructive conversation and this forum is valuable in keeping a lot of noise out of that forum but surely this forum could be 'General Discussion' rather 'Or Not: The Debate'?

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Jan 8, 2014 at 9:11:39 pm

"The NLE Fan Boys Forum"
A cage match for all NLEs

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 8, 2014 at 9:16:53 pm

"My NLE Is Better Than Your NLE!"

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jan 8, 2014 at 9:53:18 pm

I think a good name would be Lounge X, for me it has a certain zing to the name. Just a thought and nothing more.

Return to posts index

tony west
on Jan 8, 2014 at 9:59:31 pm

[David Mathis] " Lounge X"

I second this hahaha

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Jan 8, 2014 at 10:01:48 pm

"NLE DEATH-MATCH!!"

Shawn

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Jan 8, 2014 at 10:05:29 pm

"X-IT"

- No Parking Production -

Adobe CC, 3 x MacPro, 3 x MbP, Ethernet File Server w. Areca ThunderRaid 8.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

Dan Stewart
on Jan 8, 2014 at 10:06:47 pm

FCP: the Debris

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jan 8, 2014 at 10:33:35 pm

How about:

"Apple - Adobe - Avid. FIGHT"

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Jan 8, 2014 at 11:00:03 pm

The NLE debate

- No Parking Production -

Adobe CC, 3 x MacPro, 3 x MbP, Ethernet File Server w. Areca ThunderRaid 8.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Jan 8, 2014 at 11:15:37 pm

"The NLE Games"

I volunteer as tribute.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 8, 2014 at 11:40:38 pm

[Shawn Miller] ""The NLE Games"

I volunteer as tribute."

Nice!

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jan 9, 2014 at 12:24:33 am

In addition to Lounge X we could have a Club X, second one even has more zing to it. At least that is my opinion.

For some reason I love you X, you entice me, tease me, thrill me and never a disappointment. Adobe, on the other hand, leaves me frightened very much.

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Jan 9, 2014 at 12:13:20 am

there IS a FCP X techniques forum....so there's no disrespect for FCP X users...perhaps a better name for this forum is simple NLE Debate....so people with different views can debate the pros and cons of all NLE's

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jan 8, 2014 at 10:42:38 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "The forum generally suffers from a lack of new points of view (ie attracting new participants)."

If you think this place is bad you should try the creative cloud debate forum. There are fifteen of us playing cribbage at the minute. It got terrifically exciting there recently when Oliver Peters and Walter Soyka got going on a CC cancellation thread. We tried to offer them buns and tea, but they were all like "we left something on the stove". It was quite awkward.

The argument for a name change feels itunes or something. The name is probably just the name at this point.
Brand value Bieberkopf, you've got to consider the inherent brand value.

Also, who is actually conducting meta X conversations here is a bit of a question. There was pretty wide ranging stuff on the library recently that feels unlikely to happen in the techniques forum - you could argue that this forum lately belongs as much to an internal dissection and discussion of X as anything else.

And that's quite readable stuff for people who have no intention of putting the time in.

out of all the editing systems, X feels easily the one most likely to deliver a genuine surprise. Apple are capable of anything at this point. he said agnostically.

If, that is, they ever get their ass in gear.
Given they are now basically advertising 4-10,000 dollar hardware with X as the poster boy, you might think they could possibly try another year of seriously accelerated growth. We could get a triangular colour wheel. Anything could happen.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Jan 8, 2014 at 11:42:28 pm
Last Edited By Franz Bieberkopf on Jan 8, 2014 at 11:44:02 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "The argument for a name change feels itunes or something."

Aindreas, don't get me started on iTunes.

[Aindreas Gallagher] "you could argue that this forum lately belongs as much to an internal dissection and discussion of X as anything else."

Recent posts on the 10.1 "restructuring" release and the Mac Pro have been interesting - I find the library vs. event question of particular interest (I think of it as another "symptom", but I was holding my tongue on that.)

[Aindreas Gallagher] "If you think this place is bad you should try the creative cloud debate forum [...] you've got to consider the inherent brand value."

I was going to do one of my archival digs, but I'll throw out this opinion unsupported instead: the range and dynamics of discussion has been better here (in this forum) in the past.

I think the forum is, and will be increasingly, "ghettoized" in terms of contributions. The "brand" of "FCPX or Not" will yield diminishing returns.

It may well be that the future of this forum is as an additional conversation for those using X - I'm just saying that I see (or saw) potential for something more.

The CC Debate forum is a corollary example - I keep it in view, but my own opinion on that subject (shared, I think, by those who contribute there) is that Adobe has utterly failed to engage with the issue (in clear violation of public statements), and the only factors that weigh on their decision-making will be revenue streams, sales targets, and maybe executive retirements. So there's not much to say until the waiting game plays out (as David Lawrence occasionally reminds us).

But those issues are part of the larger landscape of questions and answers facing editors and others in post - they're part of a larger conversation - and this forum has, at times, felt a bit more freely engaged with many, many such issues, occasionally in glorious pandemonium (such as can be achieved in type).

I think that conversation might already be lost here, except in fits and starts, but I do try for optimism.

[Aindreas Gallagher] "X feels easily the one most likely to deliver a genuine surprise."

The surprise factor ... I'm not sure that's a virtue (for editing software). But you never know.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Jan 9, 2014 at 4:03:14 am

I would call the CC Debate Forum corollary to this one for sure with "when are they going to bring back perpetual licensing!" akin to "when are they going to bring back tracks!". The CC Debate Forum is only like 8 months old. Not too different than how this one's first year went. This one's gotten much more interesting/informative over the years as I suppose that one will too.

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Jan 9, 2014 at 2:36:41 am

"NLE debate" is good.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Jan 9, 2014 at 10:06:13 am

I still like the title of this forum although I feel the heat went out of the stew a while back.

Originally, with the huge controversy over the lack of professional features in FCPX, it covered the debate of where to go from FCP7 and with a few exceptions it was really a Premiere Pro vs FCPX debate. But the CC subscription model really placed a fork on the road.

Maybe the title could be ' After 10.1, is FCPX finally a contender?'

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Jan 9, 2014 at 1:41:32 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "The forum generally suffers from a lack of new points of view (ie attracting new participants)."

I'm probably adding to this problem. Daily lurker, rarely a poster. I don't use FCPX, yet I still visit this forum daily. I know exactly all the same people who are going to say that FCPX is awesome, those who will say it sucks, and those who will write witty banter poking fun at the whole thing. It's my daily distraction when I'm sending something out to playback.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jan 9, 2014 at 5:06:37 pm

I'm with Daniel. But I WANT to use it....I just need to feel that my investment in time and resources is well spent for the uncertain future.

Not there yet, according to this forum.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Jan 9, 2014 at 5:43:03 pm

Here, I'm waiting for Aindreas to start his own blog.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jan 9, 2014 at 8:55:19 pm

I did do one. something of a one off though really.

http://adobe2014.tumblr.com/

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 9, 2014 at 7:25:13 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "Forums live or die by their participants. Some change might expand the horizons."

At the risk of yet another analogy, of which their usefulness was put in to question at some point on this forum, I am going to use an analogy, or really, an allegory.

Context is everything.

If there should be one true name and really the raison d'être for this forum, it is, The Death of Final Cut Studio 3.

A bit of a warning, this may get a bit morbid:

The death of FCS3 was similar to a sudden and unexpected death of a close friend. In these situations, you are left wondering why. Why did this happen? What was the root cause, and is there anything that I could have done to change the outcome?

You go to the funeral, and at first, you talk about the deceased. You remember and share in the way the deceased family needs to grieve following any cultural belief systems and frameworks.

Then, as more time passes, and the focus shifts away from the memorial, you get together and talk with people you haven't seen a while, and then the conversations turn to what is happening in each other's lives.

You ask how they've been, what they've been up to, you share stories, anecdotes, catch up, laugh, cry, and enjoy the time that is spent being in the same place with all of these people.

Perhaps you talk with people that you've never met, and come to find you had a mutual friend and you share stories.

But the reason we are there is because of the death of a friend. It is the context of all of these wonderful discussions you've been having. This group of people will never meet under the exact same circumstances again.

So, while we could change the name of the forum, we can't change what happened and we certainly can't change the reason why we are all here.

I enjoy the conversations about theory, art, networking, and all the other topics that come up form time to time. Sure, it is less conversation than what was before, but it's still here. Certainly, a lot of us have moved on and are done grieving.

I also disagree with some of what you said. There have been new avatars and names. New view points and stories, new applications and uses.

Recently, I have also talked about new aspects of FCPX that I find that I don't want to discuss in the Techniques forum even though I like and participate in the Techniques forum. The techniques forum is really starting to become what the Final Cut Pro Legend forum was (and still is), which is a place to find really insightful help and information about using (mostly) one piece of software.

I also think that having a discussion that is removed from the techniques with the smart and dissenting people that are in this forum helps ME to figure out what I want to do, or how I want to submit feedback to Apple about FCPX. And I hope, because I know there are some people paying attention, that some people will submit feedback as well. Right now, it is the only way I know of to make the software better.

I think that if we changed the name of the forum, we change the context, and I think the context of this forum is very important to this forum. We won't be able to recreate these circumstances again.

That being said, I would encourage you to post more insights on theory, post more new points of view. Basically, start more discussions about the subjects you care about and make it more of what you want it to be.

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Jan 9, 2014 at 8:47:59 pm

nicely said and truly morbid. :-) I am an FCP7 widower but have found my new love on Adobe Mingle .com .

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jan 9, 2014 at 9:37:09 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "The death of FCS3 was similar to a sudden and unexpected death of a close friend. "

Lovely and dark, although perhaps a little too emotionally intense.

How about a group of friends meeting in a bar after a pal's divorce - they all get to dis the new babe who broke up the family. Some can't help but remark that wife #1 has let herself go a bit, can you blame the guy for leaving. Others opine that the new girl is an air head and she won't last a season. Someone else tries to match him up with their cousin, she's been around the block but can still get the job done. Next they talk baseball and somebody orders a round and the next thing you know two guys are fighting and one guy is puking. Tomorrow they plan on getting together again because they had such a good time. Maybe it's a sitcom.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 9, 2014 at 11:32:33 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Maybe it's a sitcom."

Also lovely, dark, and emotionally intense? ;)

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Jan 10, 2014 at 12:52:17 am
Last Edited By Shawn Miller on Jan 10, 2014 at 12:53:16 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "[Herb Sevush] "Maybe it's a sitcom."

Also lovely, dark, and emotionally intense? ;)"

lol - you should write for the LA times, Jeremy. You just have to work "gripping" in there somewhere:-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 11, 2014 at 5:55:50 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Lovely and dark, although perhaps a little too emotionally intense.

How about a group of friends meeting in a bar after a pal's divorce - they all get to dis the new babe who broke up the family. Some can't help but remark that wife #1 has let herself go a bit, can you blame the guy for leaving. Others opine that the new girl is an air head and she won't last a season. Someone else tries to match him up with their cousin, she's been around the block but can still get the job done. Next they talk baseball and somebody orders a round and the next thing you know two guys are fighting and one guy is puking. Tomorrow they plan on getting together again because they had such a good time. Maybe it's a sitcom.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions"

I'd completely watch this.

But it requires Jennifer Lawrence as the girlfriend.

And discovering that in Act Three Ms Lawrence's character is actually brilliant and wins a Nobel Prize for theoretical physics and accepts it in a bikini because right before the award ceremony her Swiss best friend from another subplot needed her to show up for her lifesaving class to portray a drowning victim...

Yep, I'd completely watch that.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jan 10, 2014 at 11:35:10 pm

heartfelt there garchow. Personally, I've learnt a fair ton from the discussions on here. They can get to a high pitch sometimes.

Piops jeremy for god's sake - PIOPs. I can't believe I bulls*tted to the degree I did on that. I barely knew what I was talking about.
Although, I would like everyone to remember and formally acknowledge that I mocked up a decent alternative keyframing apparatus for X.
I am just saying. God knows it needs it.

that said - I'm surprised more people don't take advantage of the actually quite nice, cheap seat bleachers in here.

Return to posts index

Mark Snow
on Jan 15, 2014 at 2:16:52 pm

Where is that mock-up?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 15, 2014 at 2:58:33 pm

[Mark Snow] "Where is that mock-up?"

I think he's talking about this:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/335/43284#43315

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Mark Snow
on Jan 15, 2014 at 12:36:07 pm

Well, this thread is still FCPX for sceptics and for the debate...

Now with the 10.1, I would say FCPX is slowly raising my eyebrows again.
If I can make peace with the timeline and the UI/Shortcuts, I might even reconsider using it for some work, or even all, IF really everything is back what was possible with fcp7. And I am still looking at YOU, Speed-Keyframes!!! :D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]