FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anybody selling a "legacy" MacPro?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Figgiani
Anybody selling a "legacy" MacPro?
on Jan 4, 2014 at 11:40:35 pm

Bob Zelin has me thinking ...

Anybody selling a (legacy) MacPro tower? Yup, I realize eBay is flooded with them. I thought I'd check here and see what's available.

I'd be interested in something from 2010 or later. Obviously need it to run Mavericks and X 10.1. I have an older MacPro with a higher end video card and 4 healthy drives that I can use if necessary. From what I've seen I *think* I can get something useful for around $1200.

Anyway, if you are a seller, ping me.

thx.

-paul.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Anybody selling a "legacy" MacPro?
on Jan 4, 2014 at 11:44:46 pm

2010 was the last legacy Mac Pro. Unless you count the 2012 mini-speed bump.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 5, 2014 at 12:46:59 am

you can use a 2008 3,1 or a 2009 4,1 (which was a great computer). Both of these "oldies" will run Mavericks and FCP X without issue, in full 64 bit. Nothing wrong with these computers. And they are cheap.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
on Jan 5, 2014 at 1:09:14 am

[Bob Zelin] "you can use a 2008 3,1 or a 2009 4,1 (which was a great computer). Both of these "oldies" will run Mavericks and FCP X without issue, in full 64 bit. Nothing wrong with these computers. And they are cheap. "

Thanks, Bob. I read your advise in a previous post. I'd be willing to spend upwards of $1200 for something as "new" as possible. I'm waiting to hear from any potential sellers here on the Cow. If not I'll see what I can find on eBay. I am ready to buy something …

-paul.

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
Re: Anybody selling a
on Jan 5, 2014 at 7:43:01 am

Hey Paul,

Have you ever checked out http://www.lowendmac.com?
They compile some pretty good deals from a handful of reputable places selling used Macs across many vintages. I like their tech spec details/reviews on all the individual models for comparison amongst all the serial numbers. I have purchased a few computers from some of the companies they list and have been very satisfied getting healthy machines inside as well as cosmetically cared for on the outside.

Maybe see if anything from the companies in their Mac Pro "deals" listing is of worthwhile before eBay if you haven't already.

-chad
(still have your aspect ratio calculator on a number of computers - always a handy tool)

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
on Jan 5, 2014 at 1:56:01 pm

[Chad Brewer] "Maybe see if anything from the companies in their Mac Pro "deals" listing is of worthwhile before eBay if you haven't already.

-chad
(still have your aspect ratio calculator on a number of computers - always a handy tool)"

Hi, Chad.

Thanks allot for this. I wasn't aware of it. I'll check it out.

Glad you find aspectRatio useful! Are you running the updated version that's in the app store?

Thanks again.

-paul.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 5, 2014 at 2:16:28 pm

Powermax.com is another resource.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
on Jan 5, 2014 at 2:26:36 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Powermax.com is another resource."

Thanks, Oliver. I'll check it out as well.

-paul.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jan 5, 2014 at 4:18:44 pm

A strategy suggestion is to wait a couple weeks till more of the new photon torpedoes ship and check craigslist. (or whatever your country has) A lot of the time people just want it out of their hair with minimal hassle.

That way you know it works, can check it for dust rhinos and don't have to pay for shipping.

I agree with Bob about ebay about the insanely low dollar to muscle price ratio right now. I bet once the dust settles, the more recent 'older' mac pros will go back up in price.

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
on Jan 5, 2014 at 4:35:59 pm

[Darren Roark] "A strategy suggestion is to wait a couple weeks till more of the new photon torpedoes ship and check craigslist. (or whatever your country has) A lot of the time people just want it out of their hair with minimal hassle.

That way you know it works, can check it for dust rhinos and don't have to pay for shipping.

I agree with Bob about ebay about the insanely low dollar to muscle price ratio right now. I bet once the dust settles, the more recent 'older' mac pros will go back up in price."

Thanks, Darren.

Here's what I'm looking at:

5,1 MP - Xeon Quad, 2.8 GHz (2010?)

This particular machine (there's 2 available) comes with a small amount of RAM. Not a problem because I can bump it up for relatively cheap. OWC's prices are reasonable for RAM for this machine.

I think this particular MP has an ATI Radeon HD 5770. If not it's not a big deal because I have one here ready to swap in. Same with hard drives. I have plenty here ready to go.

The two places that have these appear to be pretty reliable, although closed on the weekends. I'm going to call them first thing Monday morning and feel them out. Shipping would be another $50.

And yeah - I should check craigslist.

Thanks again.

-paul.

Return to posts index

Richard Jacana
on Jan 5, 2014 at 4:52:13 pm

Can anyone with one of these machine confirm that they actually work as well as an i7 with a large number of clips, 500 or so. I've yet to this question answered. How is the redraw and scrolling through the clips in the event library? My 256Mb AMD card in my mini seems to handle it Ok but would like a little more speed.

Return to posts index

Larry Asbell
on Jan 6, 2014 at 1:26:11 am
Last Edited By Larry Asbell on Jan 6, 2014 at 1:27:11 am

Sorry but I don't see your email to ping you directly. Would you be interested in a Mac Pro 4,1 3.32 GHz with 8 gigs? Could include a Sonnet 2 port SATA card and a firewire card.

Larry at LAEditing dot com

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
on Jan 6, 2014 at 4:37:26 am

[Larry Asbell] "Sorry but I don't see your email to ping you directly. Would you be interested in a Mac Pro 4,1 3.32 GHz with 8 gigs? Could include a Sonnet 2 port SATA card and a firewire card."

Thanks. Just pinged you …

-paul.

Return to posts index

Greg Jones
on Jan 6, 2014 at 10:07:34 pm

Yeah Bob. I'm running a 2008 Mac Pro with 16gig of Ram. 8 core, and a Nvidia GTX680 Card and the computer is very very fast. I'm sure not as fast as a 12 Core, but still works great. I saw a site called "GainSaver' that sells really really cheap computers, but I'm not sure how reputable they are. I haven't heard of anyone actually buying a computer from them. I got mine on ebay about a year ago.

On another note, I have 2 Mac Pro 1,1 Qaud Core's I'd be interested in selling if anyone is interested.

Greg Jones
D7,Inc.
Orlando,FL.

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
on Jan 7, 2014 at 5:17:38 pm

Just pulled the trigger:

2010 (5,1) 2.80 GHz Quad

1 TB HD, 8 gigs of RAM

ATI Radeon HD 5770

I'll pick up some more RAM from OWC. It's pretty cheap.

Fell right in line with budget …

-paul.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]