FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor 4.1 and MyCometG3 x264

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Keith Pratt
Compressor 4.1 and MyCometG3 x264
on Jan 4, 2014 at 3:06:04 am

This should probably go in the Compression Techniques forum, but I expect it'll get more views here...

Has anyone been using (or found themselves unable to use) the MyCometG3 QuickTime Plugin with Compressor 4.1?

And while we're on the subject of Compressor 4.1, what's new? I'm still running 3.5.3, having not found 4.0 compelling enough to upgrade.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Compressor 4.1 and MyCometG3 x264
on Jan 4, 2014 at 7:44:55 am

Compressor 4.1 now does High Profile CABAC H.264 encoding although apparently limited to signal pass.

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jan 4, 2014 at 10:33:26 am

and no more DVD-presets!

Return to posts index

Russ Haskell
on Jan 4, 2014 at 3:40:28 pm

And much faster single pass mov and mp4 h.264 encoding.

http://www.larryjordan.biz/compressor-4-1-hardware-acceleration/

Russ

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 4, 2014 at 4:07:37 pm

Huh.

Compressor looks to have received a little attention. Nice!

I'm also wondering what is going to happen with the new export API.

Will this mean I can connect to Episode straight from FCPX?

That'd be cool.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 4, 2014 at 4:31:42 pm

and following on that article is this one.
http://www.larryjordan.biz/mac-pro-performance-report-video-compression/

Note that single pass hardware accelerated H.264 encoding is specific to i5 and i7 processors as they have Intel's "QuickSync." The New Mac Pro Xeons do NOT.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Jan 4, 2014 at 7:19:40 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Note that single pass hardware accelerated H.264 encoding is specific to i5 and i7 processors as they have Intel's "QuickSync.""

Craig,

Would only apply to H.264 or also x264? I'm on a i7 17" MBP and faster encodes would give me a legit reason to move from 3.5.3 to 4.1.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 4, 2014 at 7:30:33 pm

I'm not sure about MyComet x264 since it's a Quicktime Component and Apple has moved to CoreMedia. I certainly wouldn't make MyComet a major factor in a decision. More important may be comparing Apple's High Profile CABAC encode (single pass only) compared to that x264 in both speed and quality.

My own guess is that when Apple does the next OS upgrade later this year (they are supposedly on a yearly schedule now), Quicktime Components won't work at all.

Return to posts index

Keith Pratt
on Jan 5, 2014 at 10:59:11 pm

Reading StreamingMedia's Compressor 4.1 First Look has put me off... If this is accurate I can't feel confident of getting consistent results. Surely that's fundamental to any encoding software?!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 6, 2014 at 12:26:04 am

Reading through it, this is what I glean.

Generally Single Pass High Profile CABAC encoding will give you near (but not quite) x264 quality. Most notable on high motion clips. On low motion clips Multi Pass CAVLC encoding may yield better quality. I'd also note that Jan tested on a computer which did not have hardware acceleration (only on i5 and i7, not Xeon… this is probably due to Intel's "QuickSync" technology). So we're not sure if hardware acceleration has a negative impact on quality. He also mentions that in general the quality is better in 4.1 than in 4 (probably due to adding High Profile and CABAC entropy but maybe other tweaks to the encoder).

The "illogics" are:
No CABAC encoding on multi pass.
Not clear why single pass is often better than multi pass encoding.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]