FORUMS: list search recent posts

When you get your Mac Pro, you might think about upgrading it... later...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Keith Koby
When you get your Mac Pro, you might think about upgrading it... later...
on Jan 3, 2014 at 10:48:34 pm

Confirmed upgradeable mac pro processor...

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
Re: When you get your Mac Pro, you might think about upgrading it... later...
on Jan 3, 2014 at 11:22:06 pm

Apple's tower's have had replaceable CPUs as far back as I can remember but it never seemed like many users ever upgraded them. Kinda reminds me of all the people that bought XL1's because you could swap out the lens but never actually swapped out the lens.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jan 3, 2014 at 11:48:50 pm

Agreed. While it's nice to know this is possible for repairability. I think the likelihood is that by the time there's an affordable, worthwhile bump in processor speeds (3 years) there's likely to be other reasons people that interested in performance will want to move to whatever the 2016 year version of the MP is. Mostly likely the next major revision to Thunderbolt.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jan 4, 2014 at 6:33:00 pm

In the OP article, the OWC upgrade is the 3.3GHz 8-core but the processor costs about $2,000! At that price is becomes obvious why Apple didn't select that higher clocked processor for their 8-core choice. Margins would suffer. When you look at the cost of a 12-core processor, there may be some who order the 4-core machine and immediately upgrade it to 12-core since they would save about $1,000 less the charges if any to do the upgrade.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Scott Williams
on Jan 4, 2014 at 8:47:15 pm

Is it just a margins issue or is there a heat issue as well. Won't 8 or 12 core CPU running at higher clock speeds than the Apple cards have a potential heat issue?

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jan 4, 2014 at 11:02:38 pm

[Scott Williams] "Is it just a margins issue or is there a heat issue as well. Won't 8 or 12 core CPU running at higher clock speeds than the Apple cards have a potential heat issue?"

Good question, Scott. You may be right in that the chip will get hotter faster.

The E5-2667v2 8-core processor, base clock 3.3 GHz, Turbo Boost up to 4 GHz, 25 MB L3 cache, still has a maximum TDP of 130 watts. So it should be manageable in the Mac Pro as the other processors’ TDP are all 130 watts. I think the price of $2,057 gave Apple pause as that is a very large step up from the 6-core processor they selected.

Apple presumably could have selected the E5-2643v2 6-core processor, base clock 3.5 GHz, Turbo Boost up to 3.8 GHz, 25 MB L3 cache, 130 watt TDP but it costs $1,552. Again that would have been a big jump from the 1600 series 4-core option. Apple appears to have wanted to stay in the 1600 series for all processors except the 2600 series for their 12-core processor.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]