FORUMS: list search recent posts

I want my "scratch" disk back.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Sanders
I want my "scratch" disk back.
on Jan 3, 2014 at 2:55:52 pm

I think I have worked out my biggest problem with FCP X.

Apple are trying to make the programme too "intelligent" - so clever that anyone can use it without having to think about media management. But I would argue its too simple, whilst it might be fine for some users, others like me want control over where things go. And the fact is, part of a professional editors job is media management so let us do it in a way it makes sense to us.

Personally I would like a way where render files, transcoded media etc could go on my fast RAID (where they need to be) - and not in the project file. The project file would then be nice and small and could live on the system drive and get backed up with other small files like motion projects, image files etc.

At the same time it would be really cool if you could select where Proxy files could go. Why not have a option box to direct where they are saved (e.g. your system drive), then you could unplug the main drive and just take the laptop to the coffee shop and carry on where you left off.

Can't be that hard.. Maybe its a preference option: "where do render files go: with project or with rushes or
other folder"

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
Re: I want my "scratch" disk back.
on Jan 3, 2014 at 3:23:59 pm

[Michael Sanders] "Personally I would like a way where render files, transcoded media etc could go on my fast RAID (where they need to be) - and not in the project file. The project file would then be nice and small and could live on the system drive and get backed up with other small files like motion projects, image files etc.
"

if they end up back at the FCP7 project media split architecture 4-5 years into X, that is going to be genuinely hilarious.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jan 3, 2014 at 5:22:22 pm

I really don't care for the file structure either. I prefer having my projects on a separate drive along with my system drive. Everything else goes onto a fast drive. The file structure is somewhat confusing and needs to be fixed. Why must a capable piece of software have fundamental flaws? Perhaps letting Apple politely know might get things fixed in the next update.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 3, 2014 at 5:33:26 pm

[David Mathis] "The file structure is somewhat confusing and needs to be fixed"

No more confusing than FCP classic scratch disks, some of us LIKE the new file structure

[David Mathis] "Why must a capable piece of software have fundamental flaws?"

It's not a flaw in my opinion!

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jan 3, 2014 at 6:01:34 pm

....it´s not a bug, it´s a feature! ;)

Return to posts index

alban egger
on Jan 3, 2014 at 6:29:36 pm

[Michael Sanders] "Personally I would like a way where render files, transcoded media etc could go on my fast RAID (where they need to be) - and not in the project file. The project file would then be nice and small and could live on the system drive and get backed up with other small files like motion projects, image files etc."

You can tell FCPX where to store the Project-Library and where the media. You can have media on a big fast RAID-5 and the Library on a fast SSD if you want. I use both ways with media either being contained within the Library or being sym-linked to an external drive/RAID/SAN. It really depends on the job and if I work with others or not or how long the media will be needed online.

The fact that render files end up in the Library pretty much tells us that Apple expects all pros to have fast and big drives for their libraries. In the worst cases you can always switch to proxy-mode to have smaller library-sizes.

What you call a FLAW is a great feature set. I really liked the Event/Project structure as it kept everything in place. Now with libraries this is elevated to another level of flexibility, if you know when to use which method.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jan 3, 2014 at 6:57:37 pm

This is exactly how I have mine set up - Libraries on seperate SSD and all media on a RAID - nothing on the system drive. I can't believe how much faster this is than the previous version - the Library thing is still confusing but much better/faster than Project/Event mess.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 3, 2014 at 7:24:24 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Jan 4, 2014 at 3:00:41 am

I like the Library system.

I wish you could consolidate Optimized and Proxy media out of the Library.

This way, you could have one set of media for everyone to see, and then more people can draw from that pool of media.

Apple would like there to be one set of original media, and everyone makes their own optimized and proxies at their own station.

It doesn't seem to make sense, especially with optimized media which is most likely going to be the bigger of the files.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jan 3, 2014 at 9:27:49 pm

[alban egger] "
What you call a FLAW is a great feature set. I really liked the Event/Project structure as it kept everything in place. Now with libraries this is elevated to another level of flexibility, if you know when to use which method."

I agree and stand corrected. I got used to the old way of doing things and guess I am somewhat of a control freak. Perhaps additional training for me will be in order. Please accept my apologies in advance.

Return to posts index

Chriss Williams
on Jan 3, 2014 at 8:36:32 pm

It's funny, I was a long time AVID editor, so the idea of calling something important, "Scratch" never made sense to me. I learned to ignore sense when dealing with these things-- the idea of a "bin" on a computer being the most obvious. And don't get me started with the dumb Canvas/Browser & Source/Record windows.

However now, so far- I kinda like the "new" 10.1 media management. (I also NEVER put real project stuff on my system drive- it has enough to do.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]