FORUMS: list search recent posts

Old Mac Pro 1.1 with 2 x Radeon HD 5770 vs i7 mac mini?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Jacana
Old Mac Pro 1.1 with 2 x Radeon HD 5770 vs i7 mac mini?
on Jan 3, 2014 at 6:35:28 am

So my i7 mac mini still works great with FCPx 10.1 and the whole library thing seems to work great - even when I have all of my libraries 7 or so with 3000+ clips in them enabled - I think it somehow disables the libraries temporarily when you don't have highlighted as I don't see a slowdown.

My mini though does have a wimpy AMD Radeon HD 6630M with only 256Mb of ram (BTO option non longer offered) , ( yes a miracle that is works as well as it does (I have one library that has over 1000 clips and I can scroll through them all, not even using proxy - shite!) I was reading some folks here who did the BruceXrender test with old Mac Pro 1.1s with two 5770 were getting good render results BUT I wonder how these old machines work compared to say my i7? Can they still handle lots of clips in an event / library and can you scroll through them OK? If you look at the Geekbench scores an i7 is 10x faster than an Xenon no?

Just wondering if I should ditch my mini for a piece of history!

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
Re: Old Mac Pro 1.1 with 2 x Radeon HD 5770 vs i7 mac mini?
on Jan 3, 2014 at 10:13:31 am

I would not invest in old technology. Perhaps you can get good results with this version, but at some point newer versions of X might not work.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 3, 2014 at 1:05:12 pm

buying a 1,1 machine makes no sense. You can go to ebay and get a 3,1 machine fro $700 from countless people, and this 3,1 will support a 64 bit operating system, OS X Mavericks, and all the modern PCIe cards on the market. If you find a 1,1 for $500 - are you really trying to prove that "I saved 200 bucks, and look - it still works" - what the hell does that mean ? Spend the extra $200 bucks, buy a 3,1, and do everything without excuses. The 3,1 works fine for everything, and supports everything, and it is readily available on ebay.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jan 3, 2014 at 3:37:16 pm

even mac os mountain lion (10.8.) wont work on the machine as it has 32bit EFI.

10.8. require 64bit EFI, so you would ge stucked at MAC OS 10.7.x.

danny

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Jan 4, 2014 at 12:46:06 am

A Mac Pro 1,1 machine cannot be upgraded beyond 10.7.X. You should make sure the older machine you are interested in can run 10.9 first.

Return to posts index

Richard Jacana
on Jan 4, 2014 at 5:05:31 pm

You are incorrect, a 1.1 machine can be upgraded with this - oemden.com/?page_id=585

Secondly I'm asking what the performance is like, not looking at spending more that $300 on the machine sans GPU so perhaps this is not as dumb as many of you suggest and sure I'll take a $3k machine if you're buying :)

I know this is old tech but just curious.

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Jan 5, 2014 at 3:41:12 am

[Richard Jacana] "You are incorrect, a 1.1 machine can be upgraded with this - oemden.com/?page_id=585

Interesting. How well tested is this with apps like FCPX?

Secondly I'm asking what the performance is like,"

My 1,1 with a 5770 graphics card works pretty well. I'm definitely ready to upgrade to the new macpro. Personally, I would buy a new iMac over something like a 1,1 or a 3,1 for FCPX.

Return to posts index

Michael Drummond
on Apr 8, 2014 at 1:12:52 pm

Hello Everyone, I know this won't be a recommended practice, but it does work, and I have been pleasantly surprised by the performance and reliablity. But you can turn your Mac Pro 1,1 into a HackPro that will run 10.8 and 10.9. I have an old Mac Pro 1,1 and after much research I made the step to install the Chameleon boot loader and was able to successfully install Mavericks. I did upgrade my Video card from the 8800 to a Radeon 5770 and an Nvidia gfx 620. Also I went from 4 gigs of ram to 16. I am currently able to run the newest version of Final Cut Pro 10.1.1 and have no problems with HD or 4K video. I am currently waiting for my new Mac Pro (Late 2013) to arrive, still 4 weeks out. But when it arrives, I will use the old mac pro as a rendering bay and storage facility for my new Mac Pro. No reason to trash the old beast, if it still can serve a purpose then by all means use it. I do agree if you can afford the newest and best, by all means. But if you are in a situation where you can't then by all means Upgrade. You can contact me if you need help. I will do my best to help you remotely.

Return to posts index

Nara Hamidi
on Apr 11, 2014 at 10:42:51 am

Thank you so much for your post Michael! I also have an old Mac Pro1.1 and trying to keep it working. Can you also run Adobe Premiere Pro CC on yours? Or would you know which configuration/graphic card would be needed or if it would work at all? Thank you!

Return to posts index

Michael Drummond
on Apr 11, 2014 at 2:01:24 pm

So far I have been able to use all the Creative cloud software applications. I will admit that the PCIE bays are the v.1.0 and so the Radeon 5770 is slower than what it should be but it gets the job done. I am running Nvidia and Radeon in my computer. Some say that is a No No, but I needed a card that would fit in the 4 slot. I have other PCIE cards that must stay in the computer. I have been running Mavericks with this machine since October of last year without fail. I just got my first GoPro Hero +3 black edition, and I havent show much 4k video yet, but the little clips I have done have been ok and rendered just fine, I would say its about 3.5 minutes of render to 1 minute of footage when it comes down to it. Hope this answers your question, or at least helps. Let me know if you need anything else.

Return to posts index

Alessio Fantinato
on Nov 22, 2014 at 7:08:38 am

Hello ! I purchased a few days a mac pro 1.1 the same as yours , but mine is a 3 ghz . Now I have a video card geforce 7300 256 mb , a 2tb hdd and ram is 5 gb ....... I just ordered a video card radeon 5770 to put on mac 1.1 ( hoping that it works ) .
Then I would like to extend the ram , and I would put a ssd ....
you think it's worth it to spend some money on this mac ???
I would use for FCPX and I hope that after the changes work well !!!!!!
why try to " original " does not work at all well with FCPX !!!!!!
Tips ?
thanks
Alessio

Return to posts index

Michael Drummond
on Nov 22, 2014 at 4:01:25 pm

I think it is totally worth investing the money in the old machine. My son now uses my old mac pro and it currently is running Mac OS 10.10.1 Yosemite. He is only running the radeon 5770 in it now but it is more than enough. He is learning to edit his phone videos in Final Cut Pro X. He played with iMovie and saw how much better FCP looked when I was done with a project. As long as the old machine can work...keep it going!

Return to posts index

Nick Folkmann
on Jan 28, 2015 at 9:35:38 pm

I just did some work on a Mac Pro 1,1. I took the old x1900 and put in a pc flashed Radeon HD 5770. I have a Samsung 4k Monitor that will do 3840 x 2160 at 60z. The graphics card I got has two dvi outputs,hdmi, and display port. Does anyone know what I need to do, to get this to drive the 4k monitor at 3840 x 2160 at least at 30hz? How do I have to connect the monitor up to get 4k resolutions? I have switch res x and have been messing with it a little but no luck. The monitor will come on by using the hdmi port on the back of the card to the hdmi on the monitor. When I plug in display port to display port it will try and turn on the monitor and shows a black screen but then eventually turns off again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]