FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compress or not?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
Compress or not?
on Jan 2, 2014 at 8:06:21 pm

Greetings!

I have been putting off buying Compressor due to some rather unpleasant reviews it has received. I want to upload videos to YouTube but in the process I wish to have a master file at high quality and then another version to upload. Should I go ahead and jump in with Compressor or would another alternative be better? Looking for a low cost option, if possible.

Remember kids that X marks the spot!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Compress or not?
on Jan 2, 2014 at 8:34:48 pm

What's wrong with compressor? Haven't heard anything bad, and the new interface is nice. But you can do what you want right from X. Share master file and share YouTube.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jan 2, 2014 at 8:37:38 pm

Nothing that I am aware of. Just was reading the reviews in the App store. I apologize for having gone off the deep end.

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Jan 2, 2014 at 9:11:25 pm

The interface did use to be unpleasant. Haven't tried the new version, since I'm now going with Adobe instead...

- No Parking Production -

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x Prod. bundle CS6, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Ethernet File Server w. X-Raid.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 2, 2014 at 9:18:34 pm

Nothing wrong with Compressor for web encoding, it's not the fastest out there and there are better encoders for mpeg2 though.

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Jan 2, 2014 at 9:26:12 pm

One reason alone that Compressor is worth the $50 is that it is the only way to get custom settings into the Share window in FCP X. I also find I use it to make one-off DVDs when I don't want to do it through FCP X.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jan 2, 2014 at 10:04:58 pm

Guess it is time for me to jump in with both feet. Only wish that Apple would bundle X, Motion and Compressor together for a slightly lower price. I find Motion as a great value, too.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Jan 2, 2014 at 10:32:36 pm

While I think Compressor is a worthwhile tool to have in your belt for $50 (same goes for Motion), I currently don't use it for the type of operation you're doing.

I export FCP X as a master file (ProRes) for higher quality. Then I drop that file in Turbo.264 software edition (also $50 I believe) to create a compressed MP4 file for uploading. It's much faster and does a better job of making a small file size while retaining quality. Apple's H.264 encoder really only works at high bit rates, which means longer upload times.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Jan 2, 2014 at 10:56:11 pm

[Brett Sherman] "Then I drop that file in Turbo.264 software edition (also $50 I believe) to create a compressed MP4 file for uploading."

Is Turbo using the x264 codec? I'm still on Compressor 3, but I use the x264 codec and I get great results. I'm still not sure where we're at with H.265.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Jan 3, 2014 at 4:07:54 am

I use compressor prior to uploading to either Youtube or Vimeo and like to be able to set bit rate. Still uncertain what the best choices are, because it is hard to tell what happens after Youtube works it over and different users have wildly different internet download speeds.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Jan 3, 2014 at 10:33:11 am

No it doesn't. But I did a few tests with a trial version of Episode with x264 and found that x264 took longer but didn't produce noticeably better results. But this is all subjective of course. I do think Turbo.264 hit the nail on the head for quality:speed:bit-rate balance.

I haven't tried x264 on Compressor. Didn't know it was there. Is it an add-on? I have no doubt it beats Apple's H.264 implementation which has always been rather crappy.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Jan 4, 2014 at 6:02:41 am

[Brett Sherman] "I haven't tried x264 on Compressor. Didn't know it was there. Is it an add-on? I have no doubt it beats Apple's H.264 implementation which has always been rather crappy."

Yes, you would need to download the codec and install it. It very much beats out the default H.264. Here's a couple of links if they are still good:
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/24173/x264encoder
Developers website- http://www003.upp.so-net.ne.jp/mycometg3/

My most recent problem is that it appears the Apple versions of H.264 and even x264 when exported as a standard .mp4 from Compressor (or QT 7 or FCPX) don't work with the newer versions of Android devices. They used to work fine with Android, Flash Players, and iDevices, but no longer. All my video streams from a proprietary Flash Player on my websites with HTML5 fall back, so this is an issue for me. I will likely need to re-export about 75 40-minute projects from FCPX and then re-encode them as .mp4 in a non-Apple app. I did find that using MPEG Streamclip and the x264 encoder played nicely with the newer Android devices. I haven't taken the time yet to figure out why MPEG Streamclip worked or re-do the 75 videos, but I suppose I will need to do it soon as I had another complaint this morning. This likely wouldn't affect you or most people here at the Cow, but I thought I'd mention it since it was fresh on my mind.

Dave

Return to posts index

nick ring
on Jan 4, 2014 at 6:40:44 am

What do you prefer to use for MPEG2 encoding? In my limited experience, I've tended towards Adobe Media Encoder over Compressor (5.0-6, haven't tried CC). Still working with MPEG2 on a regular basis, so a potential improvement could be nice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]