FORUMS: list search recent posts

new mac pro and OSX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Sefton
new mac pro and OSX
on Jan 2, 2014 at 7:52:41 pm

Just ordered our first new MacPro.

Does anyone know if.... CS6 has an update which recognises both GPU's, and if not, does CC work well with the D700s? Looking forward to cutting our first edit with FCPX, but want to know if our Adobe projects will make the most of the upgrades.

And....as we will be using OSX, do Red Giant plugins work OK now?

Wish we had ordered 2 weeks ago - delivery is now listed as February!

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
Re: new mac pro and OSX
on Jan 2, 2014 at 9:49:51 pm

Don't feel too bad, anyone who's order went in after the first few hours was listed as "February". Because I had to go thru the legwork of a lease, my order didn't go in until the 26th.

I'm hoping that Apple is being conservative with it's ship estimates, AND/OR that those estimates depend on which configuration options you choose. And most hopefully, that my configuration is not in as high demand. But we'll see.

THE VERGE's review noted a discrepancy in performance with RED files between FCPX and Premier. Initially I thought that perhaps the Verge's video crew wasn't running the latest update you mention, but after reading thru the comments in that article, The Verge claims that they were running the most recent version. So it may be that there's a ways to go before Adobe is getting comparable OpenCL performance with CUDA.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 2, 2014 at 9:56:55 pm

[Marcus Moore] "So it may be that there's a ways to go before Adobe is getting comparable OpenCL performance with CUDA."

Adobe aren't being very forthcoming with details of how their products perform on the new MP yet.

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
on Jan 2, 2014 at 11:07:23 pm

We got the 6 core d500 today Steve. I can test cs6 and cc on Monday or Tuesday maybe. We are busy re-outfitting a few rooms and testing 10.1 with mavericks on Xsan though...

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 2, 2014 at 11:23:57 pm

[Keith Koby] "We got the 6 core d500 today Steve"

I'd be curious to hear what sort of work and formats you are doing with this. Although the 8-core keeps getting mentioned as the "sweet spot", it also has a slower clock rate. For HD output and ProRes, it sounds like your machine might be more than sufficient.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jan 3, 2014 at 12:16:35 am

Apparently in turbo boost, the 8-core gets to pretty much the same speeds as the 6-core.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 3, 2014 at 12:34:47 am

[Marcus Moore] "Apparently in turbo boost, the 8-core gets to pretty much the same speeds as the 6-core."

I believe all the processors offer a turbo boost, as well as hyper-threading.

It's just that my contention is that the 8-core will be a good buy if you seriously believe you are going to be working with 4K media and output most of the time within the next 3 years. I don't believe that will be the case.

My current 8-core 2009 Mac Pro works well enough with 4K (and above) source media in a 1080 and 2K timeline without too many issues. That's why I challenge the assumption that it needs to be the 8-core or higher. Just a matter of not spending any more than necessary.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jan 3, 2014 at 12:40:50 am

I agree that the 6-core with the D700s will probably be the most popular video workstation for anyone not worried about 4K in the medium term.

I think the 8-core covers those willing to spend the extra $1500 against apps that are more CPU dependant. If you work primarily in FCPX and Motion, I think you'd definitely be better to spend your money on more RAM.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 3, 2014 at 12:50:27 am

[Marcus Moore] "If you work primarily in FCPX and Motion, I think you'd definitely be better to spend your money on more RAM."

I agree, though I'm not even sure the D700 is the way to go. The performance jump from the D500 to the D700 is bigger than from the D300 to the D500, but is it needed? Presumably if you are only doing a few effects, grading and titles, the D500 might be plenty.

A MP configured as: 6-core/D500/32GB RAM/1TB drive/AppleCare is over $5K. Bump that up to the 8-core/D700/64GB RAM/1TB/AC and you are over $8K.

Considering that you'll have to add adapters, docks and MAYBE new storage and monitors, it gets pretty pricey. So, no need to spend more than is absolutely necessary. Just stream-of-consciousness thoughts for now.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jan 3, 2014 at 1:06:25 am

My last MacPro was a maxed out G5 QUAD. Unfortunately prematurely dead-ended by the Intel switch.

Since I had to let that one go (but still got $800 dollars for it!) I've been able to run on laptops and now this iMac for the past 4 years, waiting for this release. I'm hoping a well endowed MP will last me 3 years, so I'm happy to spend more now for a system that's got some headroom. The only thing that may outdate the system prematurely would be Thunderbolt3, whenever that comes along (if past is prologue, 2 years from now). But depending on what that jump is (another doubling or straight to Intel's goal of Optical 100Gb/s) and how formats have evolved, it may or may not be a must have.

I've already ordered mine, and went with 8-core, 1TB SSD, 64GB RAM and D700s.

While everyone might not need to full horsepower of the D700s now, at $600 is almost an impossibly smart upgrade.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 2, 2014 at 11:48:06 pm

[Keith Koby] "We got the 6 core d500 today Steve. I can test cs6 and cc on Monday or Tuesday maybe. We are busy re-outfitting a few rooms and testing 10.1 with mavericks on Xsan though..."

Looking forward to reading your experiences with it, as will quite a few other people!

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Jan 3, 2014 at 11:37:06 am

Hey Keith,

i'm also very curious how that 6 core performs! I've ordered mine also only with the D700's. how much RAM did you configure?

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
on Jan 3, 2014 at 2:31:08 pm

[Andre van Berlo] "i'm also very curious how that 6 core performs! I've ordered mine also only with the D700's. how much RAM did you configure?
"

Andre-
These 6 cores are the base configs with d500 and 16 GB ram and 256 GB storage. That's one reason why they came so fast (because they were a true base config). I think you'll be happy with the 6 core d700.

As for performance, I haven't tested much yet, but from what I've seen so far I'm super impressed.

I upgraded one san location from earlier in the year. I intentionally grabbed a project that was giving us fits in probably 10.0.8 at the time. We were using maxed out fusion imacs and probably 10.8.4 at that point. The san location (about 78 GB) converted to a library in about 10 seconds. 10.1 gets really busy doing something afterwards, you can see the render meter going crazy, flashing to 100% very quickly. In the meantime, the application was super responsive. Playback was smooth. Renders (selections) were super fast. So from an unscientific, quick first look, I think people will be pleased with performance on the 6 core d500 base machines.

We also ordered several 8 core machines. Those we are waiting for.

[Oliver Peters] "I'd be curious to hear what sort of work and formats you are doing with this. Although the 8-core keeps getting mentioned as the "sweet spot", it also has a slower clock rate. For HD output and ProRes, it sounds like your machine might be more than sufficient."

Once we get the 8 cores, we'll compare. But I hear you, the 6 core d500, from what I saw yesterday, might be plenty for ProRes 1080 formats (that's the bulk of our work). Of course if the 8 core clobbers it, then the price difference is worth it for us because of the time savings over the 3 years or so that we typically keep computers in production. Also the 8 core d700s will be worth it if they handle the red files better etc.

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
on Jan 3, 2014 at 4:33:34 pm

I just did an export of an 8:12 timeline with lots of compositing. First I deleted the projects render files and then exported a master clip. 3:51 seconds, so better than 2x realtime to render and write out the file.

Later today I'll try to get the original project san location open on an imac and do the same test.

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Jan 3, 2014 at 5:59:46 pm

Thanks for posting Keith!

Nice! Is that 1 camera angle or did you have multiple tracks in 1080p stacked?

February can't come soon enough!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]