FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tear off Tab

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Loren Risker
Tear off Tab
on Dec 30, 2013 at 8:25:31 pm

What's the non-functional "tear off tab" I'm seeing in the music/sound browser? Maybe we will be able to customize our interface in a new version?

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, mini-docs.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
Re: Tear off Tab
on Dec 30, 2013 at 8:33:39 pm

ooo. that would be kind of a heartening sign of flexibility on their part.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Dec 30, 2013 at 9:26:27 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "ooo. that would be kind of a heartening sign of flexibility on their part."

Would like to see to adjust the layout to our taste. Now if they would only bring back the "Send To Motion" option. Wait, one more thing: Please bring back the color wheel or at least give us the option to choose between the color wheel or the color board. Otherwise, very pleased with the direction X is going. Very pleased with the last update.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Dec 30, 2013 at 10:41:44 pm

Not that I have a problem with a toggle mode between color wheel and color board, but I just don't understand all the clamoring for a color wheel interface. It's not like the color board is hard to use; it's least as easy to use as the wheel. I for one would rather see other functionality added to color correction than worry about the damn wheel. You know, like keyframeable color changes, or a trackable mask.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on Dec 30, 2013 at 11:08:39 pm

I understand the frustration about not being able to keyframe color controls, but I prefer to use the effects from motion anyway as they are much more flexible (although not as pretty to use).

6940_colortools.zip

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, mini-docs.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Dec 30, 2013 at 11:10:28 pm

the custom GUI possibilities with the new fcpx plug stuff kind of side steps this though right? other people can step in? with tear off tabs apparently?

I should boot it up - but is it easy currently to do push pull changes within the shadows and highlights in FCPX for cooler shadows and warmer highlights?
does FCPX easily allow for those kinds of experimentation? if not, what was gained by the removal of the colour wheel space?

do you find there are unique advantages to the collapsed square grid apple colour science layout?
out of curiosity - has anyone tried that before? Painter had a circle triangle thing - and photoshop had a rectangular mini color picker back in the day - but did apple come up with this thing out of the blue?

I prefer a circle me.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Dec 30, 2013 at 11:23:30 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "but is it easy currently to do push pull changes within the shadows and highlights in FCPX for cooler shadows and warmer highlights?"

It's very easy. Pretty much the same workflow as the color wheel.

[Aindreas Gallagher] "do you find there are unique advantages to the collapsed square grid apple colour science layout?"

The only advantage I see is that the color board is bigger in the imposed area you're working from. Because the inspector is rectangular, you'll always have more screen space with the color board than you would with a color wheel confined to the same dimensions.

It may also be easier for those just learning color correction. When they look at a frame and think, "I need to add more blue, or pull blue out," the color board is intuitive to that kind of thinking.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 31, 2013 at 1:20:28 am

"Let me just boost a little skin tone" is a pain in the ass with the Color board as it does not follow a vector scope. So it's a bit of pin the tail on the donkey but with no blindfolds and the ass's ass is moving, and the pin is facing your palm.

It could also be a bit more sensitive. The percentage adjustments are sometimes not subtle enough.

Other than that, it's easy to use and the end quality is great, much better quality than fcp7 and it is really fast and unobtrusive.

Plus, Resolve is pretty great.

Return to posts index

James Sullivan
on Dec 31, 2013 at 4:35:57 pm

I do not miss the wheels too much. I agree that it would be nice to ratchet down the sensitivity for fine tuning. The quality and the real time playback are nice on bigger iron systems. There is too much mousing of course so for long form Resolve is the answer. For quick and dirty though you can do some damage.

I am still a FCPx hater from the editorial side of things but for color correction I think they did a nice job. I need to remap the default paste attributes command because copying grades across the "time line" is messing up my wrist. I use a wacom so all the mousing is dealt with but the default mapping for paste attributes sucks.

What might be nice is some kind of Gallery/Still store function that would let you drag grades into it and onto shots in the timeline. If you had three color boards stacked up they would all drag and drop as one grade into say Memory 1 and display a still. That way grading longer timelines and matching shots would become easier if you are trying to stay inside of FCPx. Also the ability to have grades ripple using metadata that you control would be badass. Tweak one interview grade and have it ripple down the line. Call that you master base grade and then as you adjust further down the line those additional tweaks only stick to the shots you touched. Exposures always change a bit so having both levels of control could be a powerful tool that puts all that metadata to good use while giving the user some speed to tackle longer programs.

Happy new year,

James

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jan 1, 2014 at 12:58:58 am

One thing you can do is add an adjustment layer and apply the grade to that. It does not exist in FCP X but you can create on very easy in Motion, takes only a few seconds to do. Also useful if you want to apply an effect to multiple clips at once.

I agree about having a still store available so you can readily apply a look but as far as I know of no NLE has that feature at the moment. While the color board is nice to use I do find it a bit clumsy. Prefer slider controls over it. Color had them and so does Resolve, really great tool.

Not sure why you don't like X as an editor. Was not very fond of it at first but in many aspects it does speed up the process. Still on the fence if it is a good tool for more complex projects. I think with time it will be a really good alternative. Apple has made several significant improvements and I expect them to continue to do so.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 1, 2014 at 8:47:40 pm

[David Mathis] "I agree about having a still store available so you can readily apply a look but as far as I know of no NLE has that feature at the moment. "

X doesn't have looks per se, but you can save individual color adjustments as presets. It's in the presets pull down at the bottom of the color board window/panel.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jan 2, 2014 at 5:59:32 am

Forgot about that one. The more I use X the more I love it. Not sure why but I do.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 2, 2014 at 4:09:50 pm

[David Mathis] "Forgot about that one. The more I use X the more I love it. Not sure why but I do."

I think that on the first few passes, X seems too simple. With the latest updates, and over the last few years, Apple has shown that FCPX will mature in to a tool that some people might like to use.

If you can get past the initial shock, I also think that the efficiencies built in to the editing methods do help in getting things done more quickly, and probably most importantly, more creatively.

But, a person can't really experience these efficiencies by not using the program, or reading about other people using the program. The only really way to discover these efficiencies is to get in there and get to work, and that includes cursing a lot when it doesn't work like FCP7 or other Avid like NLEs.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jan 2, 2014 at 5:10:20 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "But, a person can't really experience these efficiencies by not using the program, or reading about other people using the program. The only really way to discover these efficiencies is to get in there and get to work, and that includes cursing a lot when it doesn't work like FCP7 or other Avid like NLEs.
"

But I would say that's true of all of the programs. I find, for instance, that when people bash Avid's workflow, its also primarily because of unfamiliarity, and them trying to make it work like something else. I do it myself.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 2, 2014 at 5:32:34 pm

[Chris Harlan] "But I would say that's true of all of the programs. I find, for instance, that when people bash Avid's workflow, its also primarily because of unfamiliarity, and them trying to make it work like something else. I do it myself"

Certainly. But since fcpx came out, there were (and still are) many knee jerk reactions to the unfamiliarity.

All NLEs have thier strengths, unfortunately, FCPX's aren't very apparent.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jan 2, 2014 at 5:38:50 pm

Totally agree. I think Avid gets the same thing though. It has a highly evolved, sophisticated workflow, and gets doinked all the time because people coming from elsewhere--including myself--don't immediately get it. From Legacy, the learning curve is uphill for both.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jan 2, 2014 at 5:48:00 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "If you can get past the initial shock, I also think that the efficiencies built in to the editing methods do help in getting things done more quickly, and probably most importantly, more creatively."

I strongly agree. I really don't think X is getting the credit it deserves or the respect it needs. I have often found I only need to see one viewer in many cases. It gives more room for the scopes and inspector.

The fact now that you can now better adjust the interface to your needs makes it even a more valuable tool.

No longer do I consider X a joke or a toy. I appreciate it for what it is and the fact it makes many editing tasks much more efficient, even fun.

Still there is room for improvement but it really has become a very valuable player. Look forward to the next update and now know that it is heading in the right direction.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]