FORUMS: list search recent posts

Projects (.fcpproject) are now Events (.fcpevent) in 10.1

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Jenkins
Projects (.fcpproject) are now Events (.fcpevent) in 10.1
on Dec 29, 2013 at 5:39:44 pm
Last Edited By Dave Jenkins on Dec 29, 2013 at 5:50:20 pm

I was digging around in the .fcpbundle (package) and noticed that the extension for Projects (.fcpproject) are now Events (.fcpevent) in 10.1

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
MacPro 3.2GHz Quad Core - AJA Kona LHe+
FCS 3 OS X 10.7.4
FCP X, Logic Pro, Squeeze, Filemaker 10.8.3

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Projects (.fcpproject) are now Events (.fcpevent) in 10.1
on Dec 29, 2013 at 6:28:23 pm

I saw that. Very odd.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Dec 29, 2013 at 8:55:23 pm

This reminds me of the crazy updates to iMovie....I don't use it but my nephew and brother do. They were using different versions and I tried helping them...but the two versions were completely different how they handled the media and timeline etc. It all got switched around in just one update.

Apple has that way of abandoning a workflow for another if for some reason it makes more sense to them. Good luck keeping up!

Ironically they did not do that with Final Cut Pro legacy and it just remained and remains a great little editing program.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 30, 2013 at 2:28:57 pm

I'm not sure why this is surprising. It's not that Projects have become Events, but rather that the Project is now a sequence file contained within a new Event. Projects are no longer a separate visible data file. Rather, they are hidden internal files within an Event file, same as master clips, compound clips, etc. The previous bifercated structure has been dropped.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bernhard Grininger
on Dec 30, 2013 at 3:52:52 pm

This is something I don't understand because I don't see the sense behind putting a Project into an Event, since Apple themselves suggest to create separate Events without media data for Projects (white paper).

Wouldn't it had been easier to let the data structure as it was under the hood,
while hiding it inside a Library?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 30, 2013 at 6:49:04 pm

Because for organizational purposes. Events are now essentially an organizational grouping(akin to a legacy "bin") within a library (akin to a legacy "project"). Wouldn't you put your sequences within a bin in legacy or any other nle just for organizational purposes? In reality, keyword collections are closer to bins and you could easily have a keyword collection called projects or sequences but then your projects would be subject to the same keyword searches and smart folders as the media. That might be a cpu nightmare possibly. So keep the sequences(projects) in their own little event within the library and it's more organized and likely less cpu overhead to deal with.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Dec 30, 2013 at 6:17:53 pm

[Oliver Peters] "It's not that Projects have become Events, but rather that the Project is now a sequence file contained within a new Event. Projects are no longer a separate visible data file. Rather, they are hidden internal files within an Event file, same as master clips, compound clips, etc. "

Now all Apple has to do is start calling them "sequences" again and join the rest of the world. ;)

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Dec 30, 2013 at 6:42:05 pm

A "Glossary of Terms for Future Developers" would be a handy tool for the industry to have.

Otherwise don't look at the package contents...it just makes things more confusing.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 30, 2013 at 6:52:17 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Projects are no longer a separate visible data file. Rather, they are hidden internal files within an Event file, same as master clips, compound clips, etc. The previous bifercated structure has been dropped."

But they're not hidden files within an event file. They're just exactly as they always have been, except they're stuck inside the event folder which itself is hidden inside the package called a library. But all you have to do is show package contents of the library and everything is as it was. So the projects seem to have the same data structure as before. They're just folders in the event folder. You can move them around and manipulate them just as before although I wouldn't recommend it. The only change is their extension. In fact, you'll see a backup file with the old extension inside them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]