COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roland Blaser
FCP 7 and Mac Pro 2014?
on Dec 25, 2013 at 6:20:17 pm

Dear colleagues,

some of you will wish me to hell for this question:

Will FCP 7 run on the new Mac Pro?

You may think I'm one of the old guys who can't manage FCPX anymore. No, simply on my Mac Pro 2,1 FCPX didn't run anymore and editing my broadcast stuff on the Retina MacBook Pro 13" didn't make sense to me – I have a nice 30" cinema display on the old 8 core Mac Pro and FCP 7 runs more or less without any problems. Anyway now it's time to replace the stuff, the new Mac Pro is on my list.

I'm looking forward to using FCPX as I see all the advantages. However I don't like Apple's approach in general. Simply it's not the business of a computer company to invent an editing philosophy that kills existing workflows (mostly audio tracks). It is as arrogant as telling them as a broadcaster how to design their OS architecture. Saying this I have to declare myself as an old Apple follower. However it was easier to be a fanboy before Apple Computer became more or less an iCompany...

Tanks for all your valuable posts – I'm sure these open and continuous discussions will influence future FCPX releases – at least I hope so. All the best for 2014 from Switzerland!

Roland

Science journalist, cameraman, video editor. 30 years of science communication for Swiss National TV. Awarded Prix Media by Swiss Academy of Science. Nominee Descartes Prize for Science Communication European Union.
> Mac Pro 8 core, MacBook Pro. AJA ioHD. FCP 7.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: FCP 7 and Mac Pro 2014?
on Dec 25, 2013 at 6:44:00 pm

[Roland Blaser] "Simply it's not the business of a computer company to invent an editing philosophy that kills existing workflows (mostly audio tracks)."

Apple isn't exclusively computer company. They dropped that from their name a few years back.
Apple the Software company offers an alternative to tracks with FCPX (LogicX still uses audio tracks).
PremierePro and Avid both run on Macs and both offer tracks. Apple didn't kill tracks on their Computers. They still run with the software of your choice.

[Roland Blaser] "It is as arrogant as telling them as a broadcaster how to design their OS architecture. "

There's no arrogance at all any more than Microsoft tells broadcaster how to design their OS architecture.
Apple makes and offering and the broadcaster has freedom of choice.

[Roland Blaser] "However it was easier to be a fanboy before Apple Computer became more or less an iCompany..."

The market seems to have a different opinion than you given how well those iOS devices sell and especially given how well FCPX seems to be doing for Apple... and it certainly looks to be gaining inroads into broadcast although it's still early days.

I'd argue that because they are a much broader and larger company they are free to be more innovative. With innovation there's risk (reduced given Apple's diversity) but there can be great leaps forward and that's where I think FCPX is going although it's been a rough ride for some. No one has lost the Avid and PremierePro lifeboats though.

[Roland Blaser] "Will FCP 7 run on the new Mac Pro?"

I'm sure we'll hear install reports. FCP7 certainly won't show much advantage that the new OS and GPUs offer. I still see is as important if one needs to go from 7toX given the old project must be online as I understand it.

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Dec 25, 2013 at 7:08:49 pm

My guess and it's only a guess is it will have trouble. IIRC, FCP suite has issues with dual graphics cards. I might be mistaken on this as I'm recalling from memory.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Reels.html

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Dec 25, 2013 at 8:28:01 pm

I just hope DVD Studio runs on it, despite the call for DVD being dead I use it a lot for my clients.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Dec 26, 2013 at 6:46:57 am

[Warren Eig] "My guess and it's only a guess is it will have trouble. IIRC, FCP suite has issues with dual graphics cards. I might be mistaken on this as I'm recalling from memory."

We ran FCP 7 for quite a while on a 2008 Mac Pro with two graphics cards. Given that FCP 7 seems to work fine on 10.9.1 I'd guess it will probably be OK on the new hardware.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Dec 27, 2013 at 6:45:19 pm

I run FCP 7 on my Resolve system which has two graphics cards. And I know people who run FCP on Resolve systems with 3 Graphics cards too. So, multiple graphic cards don;t seem to bother FCP 7.

I don't think Apple has done anything overt to ensure that FCP 7 cannot be installed or run on newer systems. I have a late 2013 MacBook Pro which shipped with Mavericks. And I could install FCP on it. (Just had to share a DVD drive off my MacPro to run the install DVDs). And now that system runs FCP 7 just fine. Maybe its all the furore over FCP X which made them take the step of not disabling FCP 7 on newer systems.

I use FCP X for some tasks and FCP 7 for others. Both run fine on my systems though not simultaneously. So, just because you get a new cyl-MacPro doesn't mean you have to give up FCP 7 and/or use FCP X.

I think FCP 7 will run just fine on the new MacPro. Not too sure about other apps like Soundtrack Pro, Cinema Tools, DVDSP etc.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Roland Blaser
on Dec 28, 2013 at 4:53:20 pm

Thanks for your points of view. Of course I will do a soft transfer to FCPX on my future Mac Pro. However for my main customer I produced around 80 TV reports with FCP 7. All the title effects, lower thirds and so on will have to be transferred to FCPX too. I guess the old reports will stay on FCP 7 whenever possible (for future encodings or small changes).

More important: I use a typical broadcast workflow with an external audio software (Soundtrack Pro in my case) for audio finishing (music, effects, commentary, final mix). You know: multiple stereo and mono tracks in a specific order...

I'm pretty sure I will like FCPX for its performance, for its features, for its innovative approach. Hard to accept is the trackless philosophy. Future will show whether Apple was right. I know, there are rolls but fact is: it makes working with multiple audio "tracks" more difficult for me.

Science journalist, cameraman, video editor. 30 years of science communication for Swiss National TV. Awarded Prix Media by Swiss Academy of Science. Nominee Descartes Prize for Science Communication European Union.
> Mac Pro 8 core, MacBook Pro. AJA ioHD. FCP 7.

Return to posts index

Wayne Jacobs
on Mar 29, 2014 at 7:49:56 pm

I too am seriously considering a new Mac Pro (trashcan). When the power came back on after an 3 day ice storm, my 2008 Mac Pro had so many files corrupted and permissions screwed up and after 3 weeks of work I have been unable to get this problem solved (even with outside expert help). I'm awaiting word from my insurance company re: how much they will pay me for a new computer - the original was covered at full original price.

I have over 30 HD video projects edited on FCP7 that, like you, I must access from time to time in the future and therefore, it becomes vitally important that FCP 7.0.3 will work on the new Mac Pro.

Have you purchased your new Mac Pro and, if so, does FCP7 actually work on Maverick?

Thanks for your help

Return to posts index

Keith Heard
on Aug 13, 2014 at 2:47:08 pm

I plan on switching to Adobe Premier. They have a FCP interface option for easy conversion. No professional I know is going to X. Apple has shunned the professional community thinking that people will use video editors as they do word processors. Anyone who has ever edited a watchable program will tell you it'll never happen.

Keith Heard

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Aug 13, 2014 at 3:48:26 pm

I don't love X but I do know many editors who have edited many "watchable" - and award winning -programs who do love X. They are not lesser in their craft because they use a tool of which you do not approve.

Tim

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 13, 2014 at 5:25:34 pm

[Keith Heard] "Anyone who has ever edited a watchable program will tell you it'll never happen.
"

***Sound of loud raspberry noise***

Yours sincerely

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Harri Haanpää
on Apr 9, 2014 at 5:42:16 am

I'm just trying to work with FCP7 (yes I don't like the workflow of X and I rather change software that use that) Anyways, new MacPro crashes all the time with more complicated project in it. I felt desperate since Client want's he's project to be done!

Now I tested the same project with my 15" Macbook Pro, there was no difference with the performance, besides I was able to actually open the project and work with it!!!

Now I'm testing the export times, since I didn't see huge difference when I was doing it with new MacPro :(

Using Motion however brought greater difference to previous by providing more real time video performance.

I'm lucky to have both machines, otherwise my project would be disaster.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]