FORUMS: list search recent posts

Steve Jobs needs to apologize to professionals for FCPX.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
daniel leeb
Steve Jobs needs to apologize to professionals for FCPX.
on Jun 26, 2011 at 6:38:19 pm

This makes the Newton or Mobile Me failures look like raving successes.

Apple screwed up here, and i think we all are in the right to blow off steam.

grieving....hmm... i don't think so, Apple cannot dig in their heels on this one, we are not the consumer market who need to be told how to live our digital lifestyle, we are the creative professionals that invested in Apple to give them the market share they now dominate. Steve Jobs needs to pivot and apologize for FCP X which is nothing more than imovie on steroids. He and his team cannot dictate a watered down creative process after we have all developed a process that works and does not need overhaul.

-64 bit processing-great

-revolutionary organizational methodology-great (as long as we can still import old projects and use our bins)

-no external monitor support...retarded, (clearly imovie programmers and development team were taking the lead on this)

Also editors don't need a pretty interface, we need a no BS efficient one that facilitates our creative process, to make a new one and dictate how we do our job is simply not respecting the work we do.

basically Apple is going to need to rewrite a new GUI that emmulates what already works for all of us in FCP7, if steve wants he can call it the "old way GUI" i don't give a damn.

This needs to happen, and we all deserve an apology from apple, we are not consumers, we are the creative professionals that apple "had" built its business on and we deserve to be treated as such.

Return to posts index

James Daugherty
Re: Steve Jobs needs to apologize to professionals for FCPX.
on Jun 26, 2011 at 7:10:00 pm

A lot of people think that being "Different" is better.

In this case we have over 10 years of development
and use that have been thrown out to be "Different".

People need fired.

The secret crap at Apple is what caused this problem.

James Daugherty
President SDFCPUG.com

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jun 26, 2011 at 7:23:04 pm

I've been using both Windows and OSX for years and I really prefer Windows. However.....Apple always had FCP suite. It opened the doors to so many people and businesses. DVDSP was a fantastic tool and it helped me start a thriving DVD design business several years ago.

Now this? As long as premier and adobe can keep up or surpass Apple (which they have) I will never buy another Apple product. Apple is a phone manufacturer and media distribution hub now.

Time to move on!!!

Return to posts index

Rob Dunford
on Jun 26, 2011 at 7:17:53 pm

This whole FCPX debacle could easily be the result of SJ not being in the loop because of his illness. Not a great excuse I know, but maybe this is what happens when a company like Apple has it's boss take a hiatus. If SJ does go eventually, I fear for the company. I think it is becoming clear now that Apple has moved so far into the consumer space that it's "Pro" side is looking more and more on shaky ground.

Return to posts index

Claire Lowry
on Jul 8, 2011 at 3:54:11 pm

It's funny, I worked for Apple for nearly three years, and you'd be surprised how little control there is over the staff. Many more talented and knowledgeable staff members are thrown aside for the more flashy employees. It's easy for Steve to be out of the loop, it's easy for the staff members to feign full knowledge about video editing, I did. I work as a professional editor and digital compositor now and I realise how little I knew of the real world now that I was no longer sucked into the Apple bubble. When you work for Apple, things do 'just work' because you have people and software around you to fix any issues. The outside world is ignored. This is a case of Steve saying yes to something he understood little of. He will now get angry, swear a lot, bluff and demote a whole bunch of people....but if he likes these particular members of staff, he might stubbornly defend the release. I think he will, sadly. I have already written off FCP, and am moving to AVID.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 26, 2011 at 7:24:11 pm

amen frankly.

Did you know when you set in and out points on a clip, after you stamp it to the timeline, when you go back to that clip in the event library, the in and out point markers are gone? I mean - ha ha right? that is a chortling laugh.

I sometime think they must have had a list of all the things they didn't give a shite about in this new release, and shurprise!! they're all pro features. You know like they were going

"Tim, have we coded the vimeo export?

Yes Randy.

And the CNN iReport?

Yes Randy it's in.

And.. let's see.. do our clips in the event library retain their in and out marker points?

Well no Randy, but we figured f**k that - who needs that for the snowboarding video? Amiright? Amiright?

F**king A Tim. In and out point retention is not part of my revolution. Did you know I designed every editing system ever made Tim? I did, all of them, premiere, FCP, I did aperture too Tim. And do you know what Tim?

What Randy?

I am f**king bored of editing systems Tim, I am f**king bored of them, with their tracks and their two up views, I'm bored of it, so we are going to shake that world up and make it anew in my image, I'm going to figure it all out fresh Tim, I'm going to re-figure out what editing is, for everyone, it's all going to change Tim, it's all going to be utterly new, and Tim they will f**king thank me for it.

Randy Ubillos, if I may say so sir, you are a God.

Thanks Tim - also steve wants this thing to use magnetism somehow, so i think we'll just f**king have all the clips glue together or something.

http://bit.ly/jIUH2N

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

J Hussar
on Jun 26, 2011 at 8:13:25 pm

I posted it before and I'll post it again - this may happen as soon as this week - I just hope Steve is up to it.

One interesting story is about Steve Jobs' reaction to the poor MobileMe rollout in 2008 which was marred with slow services and downtime.

In Fortune's story, Lashinsky says Steve Jobs summoned the entire MobileMe team for a meeting at the company's on-campus Town Hall, accusing everyone of "tarnishing Apple's reputation." He told the members of the team they "should hate each other for having let each other down", and went on to name new executives on the spot to run the MobileMe team. A few excerpts from the article.

"Can anyone tell me what MobileMe is supposed to do?" Having received a satisfactory answer, he continues, "So why the f*** doesn't it do that?"

Return to posts index

Kris Charas
on Jun 26, 2011 at 8:03:28 pm

"grieving....hmm... i don't think so, Apple cannot dig in their heels on this one, we are not the consumer market who need to be told how to live our digital lifestyle, we are the creative professionals that invested in Apple to give them the market share they now dominate. Steve Jobs needs to pivot and apologize for FCP X which is nothing more than imovie on steroids. He and his team cannot dictate a watered down creative process after we have all developed a process that works and does not need overhaul."

For an idea of how invested Apple is in the "Pro" space these days, look no further than apple.com/pro. Notice the advertisement for Final Cut Studio at the bottom? (In case they change it, here's a screen cap). Something tells me they aren't too worried about it, since the site hasn't been updated in almost 2 full years.

"This needs to happen, and we all deserve an apology from apple, we are not consumers, we are the creative professionals that apple "had" built its business on and we deserve to be treated as such."

Apple doesn't need to treat anybody nicely. They are in it to make money, which they think they can make more of based off of their experiences with iOS, iPhone, iPad, etc. I don't think the "pro" market is a huge cash cow. When everyone jumps ship to Avid or Premiere or whatever the next thing in editing is, and they actually start losing money, then they'll apologize by revamping/updating their product.

In the end, FCPX is a tool. If you can make a great product with it, then it's right for you. If you can't, then find a different tool to work with.

Return to posts index

Zeb Chadfield
on Jul 5, 2011 at 6:22:42 am

here is your apology ;)

http://scoopertino.com/steve-jobs-to-video-pros-stop-whining/

Return to posts index

Neil Hurwitz
on Jul 5, 2011 at 3:18:34 pm

I gotta say this whole thread cracks me up.
It should come as NO SURPRISE what Apple thinks about all you
"PRO" FCP users. Hint, THEY DON'T. You are just not a revenue driving force in their minds. I can't wait to see the fall out of all
the posters, boasters & promoters here, who claim that they have
fiqured it all out with their "business models" as they blowviate
about other closed shops and their "outdadted" models.
This is their first real test dealing with change.
And it's not about a wholesale change in technology it's about
one software program. As someone who ran a shop from the days
of grease pencil editing on 1/2" reel to reel all the way up
to Avid & Henry This just CRACKS ME UP
Just why do you think APPLE owes you anything?
Just how PUFFED up are you?
Give me a break, Adapt or Die.
IT'S UP TO YOU, NOT APPLE

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]