FORUMS: list search recent posts

I have an OLD MAC Pro first Generation with FC Pro 7.02 can I run FCX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Cobble
I have an OLD MAC Pro first Generation with FC Pro 7.02 can I run FCX
on Dec 22, 2013 at 10:14:35 pm

I have an old MAC Pro I think the first generation.
Dual Xeon 2.66 dual core 13GB Ram and I am running Lion.
I have Final Cut 7.02 or .04 cant remember, but the latest and last one. I am on my PC and don't have access to my mac at this moment.

Question: if I switched to FCX would is run more or less efficiently than FCP7 or would it even run at all on the my MAC pro?

If it would run at least as efficiently would I need to put the Quadro 4000 for a mac in it, I have the original G-Force 7300 GT card in it?

Thank you for direction! please

PC 1
I7 2.8 Ghz 8GB Ram
Win 7 Pro 64bit OS
PNY Quadro 4000
PC 2
I7 3930K 3.2Ghz
32 GB Ram
Win 7 Pro 64bit OS
PNY Quadro 4000

3-4 TB HD
Vegas 10 64bit & Vegas 11 64Bit & Vegas 12 & Adobe Production Premium CS5.5.2 & Avid Media Composer 5.5

Camera
Sony EX1 shoot in 1920x1080 30P

Return to posts index

Matt Trubac
Re: I have an OLD MAC Pro first Generation with FC Pro 7.02 can I run FCX
on Dec 22, 2013 at 10:30:11 pm

If it is a first gen Mac Pro you won't be able to run FCPX 10.1. Your Mac Pro won't run Mavericks, and I am pretty sure 10.1 requires Mavericks.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Dec 22, 2013 at 11:01:01 pm

[Matt Trubac] " I am pretty sure 10.1 requires Mavericks."

The new version of X does require Mavericks.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 22, 2013 at 11:47:14 pm

this is my opinion.
There is a new invention - ebay.
You can right now purchase a 2008 Mac Pro, that will run OS X Mavericks, on ebay, with countless people selling them right now for about $700

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.X2008+M...

buy a 2008 used Mac Pro, and run Mavericks and FCP X 10.1 (and even your old FCP 7.0.3).

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Dec 22, 2013 at 11:53:14 pm

My only issue with this strategy is that you're potentially buying in again at the very bottom of compatibility going forward. Is it worth the savings if you're machine becomes outmoded with 10.10, or 10.11 in a year or two?

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Dec 23, 2013 at 2:01:02 am

Bob makes a great point. If you want to go the fully supported route that's a great way to go. The 2008s with a good GPU can still be a decent setup. The prices have never been better and those are so easy to work on yourself. Not that I've ever had one of mine ever break down. If you don't care about thunderbolt, it's still a good machine.

That said, an eight core original mp booting from a third party 64 bit kernel and upgraded GPU can run mavericks with a geekbench score of 10500 and decent fcp x performance. Not bad for a nearly eight year old machine. Is it worth the time? Not for me, but it is possible.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 23, 2013 at 5:00:29 am

Hi, Don.

No.

Return to posts index

joe mordecai
on Dec 23, 2013 at 8:05:03 am

why's everyone suggesting a 2008 Mac Pro? if you don't want to splurge on a new one, then look for a damn 2010/2012 model. you're gonna need to spend some cash if you want X to run like a champ, and after whatever tower you buy, you should upgrade the graphics card and most likely upgrade the RAM. don't skimp. and don't be so foolish to spend $700 on a 2008 Mac Pro. it's not a bargain in 2014.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Dec 23, 2013 at 2:34:35 pm

[joe mordecai] "why's everyone suggesting a 2008 Mac Pro? if you don't want to splurge on a new one, then look for a damn 2010/2012 model. you're gonna need to spend some cash if you want X to run like a champ"

If he's primarily working with XDCam-EX footage from the EX1, and not using a lot of layers or heavy FX, then the 2008 Mac Pro would be fine for him. Not everyone needs the latest and greatest.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 23, 2013 at 2:56:24 pm

It's hard to say what's best for someone without a complete picture but if, for example, one is looking at a 2008 MacPro for $700 and maybe the need for an AMD 5770 for $250 for a total of $950, one might compare that to current Quad i7 MacMini although with the need to buy external storage. The Mini is still using the Intel HD4000 GPU as they haven't been upgraded to Haswell chips and Intel Iris GPU. Given the comparison the 2008 MacPro might be a good deal even if it only holds one over for a year or two if an OS/FCPX update obsoletes it.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Dec 23, 2013 at 3:54:58 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Given the comparison the 2008 MacPro might be a good deal even if it only holds one over for a year or two if an OS/FCPX update obsoletes it."

I mean, aren't the GeekBench scores not that super-impressive for the entry-level 4-core Mac Pro over a '08-'10 Mac Pro?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 23, 2013 at 4:06:32 pm

[Gary Huff] "I mean, aren't the GeekBench scores not that super-impressive for the entry-level 4-core Mac Pro over a '08-'10 Mac Pro?"

2013 MacPro vs older models? I suspect the '08 would lag far behind in many functions since it was '09 were the "virtual" cores happened. GeekBench doesn't measure GPU and that's where the New MacPros shine. FCPX will take advantage of the addition GPU resources. Of course it may not make that much of a difference in some routine thingsā€¦ relative the price.

What would be interesting would be if there were an updated quad i7 MacMini with Haswell and Iris. I wouldn't at all be surprised if that was competitive with a 2008 4 core MacPro in many areas.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Dec 23, 2013 at 7:46:25 pm

I would look for a 4,1 (early 2009) or newer Mac Pro. The 3,1 does not have hyper-threading and uses slower, much more expensive RAM.

I'm running a 4,1 dual quad 2.93 with SSD boot drive and off-the-shelf GTX760 and it's pretty darn fast. Good enough til I spring for the new Mac Pro...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Dec 24, 2013 at 10:33:35 am

I'd also recommend buying a more recent Mac Pro to run FCPX but for what it's worth, I'm running FCPX 10.1 and Mavericks on my 2006 Mac Pro 1,1 and while it's slower than my 2012 27" iMac it's still quite useable.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Jason Porthouse
on Dec 24, 2013 at 11:09:47 am

Jeff, I'd be interested in finding out how you made that work on your 1,1. I did post a link to a blog - '64 on 32' - but for some reason I can't fathom it's not been allowed. Can you elaborate on how you did it?

Jason

Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
Then when you do criticise him, you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Dec 24, 2013 at 3:55:44 pm

Apple didn't write it a 64 bit kernel for whatever reason. It's possible that at the time they EOLd it there were no supported GPUs for it that had 64 bit drivers and openCL. I guess "It just works" no longer fit.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Dec 24, 2013 at 6:49:09 pm

"64 on 32" is what did it for me. You need to have a compatible graphics card. I have a Radeon 5770 in mine.

I have other, newer Macs so I'm.not sure why I'm so obsessed with keeping the old Mac Pro going but it now has a new lease of life. Of course it's hard to recommend running a hacked OS on your primary workstation as every software update may be it's last - but so far it seems fine.

I plan to do some benchmarking of all my Macs over my Christmas break (to see if I can justify ordering the new Mac Pro) but performance-wise, it feels somewhere between my 2010 13 " Mac Book and my iMac from the same year.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]