FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere to FCPX. Should i??????

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dale Roberts
Premiere to FCPX. Should i??????
on Dec 22, 2013 at 12:07:36 am

Hi,

I am considering jumping over to FCPX. I can't run the demo software yet as I am in the middle of projects and dont want to mess with upgrading the O.S. so I thought I would ask a few questions here to keep one step ahead of the game.

I shoot on the C100 and do mutlicam with a GH3. How is it using MultCam?

Bluray. This is my main concern as I love Encore. What are people using to Author a Bluray with a custom menu and chapters?

Motion as opposed to After effects... I'm no guru on After effects at all but I like to just make simple title pages with a text animation. I would say Motion would be great for this wouldnt it? I like the thought of using the templates.

Color Correctiom- I love using the RGB curves in PP. Anything similar in FCPX?

How is the general transition to editing in a totally different way?

I want to jump over as I find the monthly fee thing a bit annoying... I feel like I want to OWN my software. And I think that because my 2010 MbPro is underspecced for PP, it looks as if FCPX might be a bit better for me to use.

Anyway, thanks so much for reading I would love your guidance.

Dale

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Premiere to FCPX. Should i??????
on Dec 22, 2013 at 4:08:11 am

[Dale Roberts] "I shoot on the C100 and do mutlicam with a GH3. How is it using MultCam?"

It's probably the best multicam design out there.

[Dale Roberts] "Bluray. This is my main concern as I love Encore. What are people using to Author a Bluray with a custom menu and chapters?"

If you have a Mac (ie: using FCPX), then Encore is pretty much your only option for Blu-rays. You can technically make the files and burn a Blu-ray in Compressor, but your options are very limited.

[Dale Roberts] "Color Correctiom- I love using the RGB curves in PP. Anything similar in FCPX?"

No curves, but now with the FX3 Plug support, some 3rd party might create one. However, I'm happy with the color board as it's very intuitive to use.

[Dale Roberts] "I'm no guru on After effects at all but I like to just make simple title pages with a text animation"

Motion is tailor made for editors who can do some effects but don't need everything that AE has to offer. It's great for doing titles and it's compatibility with FCPX is solid, especially when it comes to making templates.

[Dale Roberts] "How is the general transition to editing in a totally different way? "

That's a difficult question to answer. Some people take to FCPX like a duck to water, and others struggle as they try to make it work the way their previous NLE works. It took me about 3 weeks to become comfortable with it and I actually prefer the workflow to Avid, or FCP7, or Premiere but I still use all those programs. The best piece of advice I can think to give is to try and let go of your preconceptions and take it for how it presents itself. Explore it like you would if you didn't already know track-based editing. You'll fail, but the closer you can get to doing that, the less frustration you'll have learning.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Dale Roberts
on Dec 22, 2013 at 6:26:22 am

Thanks Andy,

Yeah, Blu Ray is important to me.. I am thinking I could look at Roxio, or just pull back on my Adobe subscription to 20 bucks / month and then I can carry on with Encore.

Quite excited about the sound of Motion.

Thanks again for your reply.

Dale

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 22, 2013 at 5:03:38 am

[Dale Roberts] "How is the general transition to editing in a totally different way? "

If you're interested in my babbling, this is my take... :-)

http://fcpxpert.net/2013/11/26/tips-and-stuff-you-need/

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Dale Roberts
on Dec 22, 2013 at 6:41:24 am

That looks like the best babble i have read about FCP. I read stuff until my eyes hurt but noone gets to the nitty gritty like you have. Brilliant. Thanks. It will help me immensely.

The Bluray thing might be the only things that stops me...

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 22, 2013 at 3:19:31 pm

Your list should be a sticky someplace.
It's a great short overview of what you should expect and be aware of when jumping into FCPX for the first time.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Dec 22, 2013 at 5:24:44 am
Last Edited By David Mathis on Dec 24, 2013 at 1:12:27 am

[Dale Roberts] "Color Correctiom- I love using the RGB curves in PP. Anything similar in FCPX?"

I recommend giving Resolve Lite a try. It has everything you need and then some. It is a node based color grading software so there is an initial learning curve but really not that bad.

* Edit to original post *
Motion is a really solid piece of software. Should the project be something more complex you will probably want to consider After Effects as well. Expressions can be a bit intimidating but worth learning as they can save you time.

I use both. Simple stuff, such as lower third, well be done in Motion and saved out for use in FCP X later. More complex stuff is when I go to After Effects, sometimes I will use both. Between the the two, you will get better plug-in support with After Effects though Motion is gaining some ground.

Return to posts index

Dale Roberts
on Dec 22, 2013 at 6:42:04 am

Thanks David.

I will definately have a look at it...

Dale

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Dec 22, 2013 at 11:37:31 am

I would do some reading up on Multicam to Resolve. There is no way to flatten the clip in FCP yet. Of course you can try both for free and see how it works out. I took job on fcp x having never used it. Now that the project structure is back to the way it used to be that should make the transition easier. Watch the tutorials and you should be running in no time.

Return to posts index

Dale Roberts
on Dec 22, 2013 at 6:27:15 am

Thanks alot guys. I think I would like to give it a go.

Tho blu ray is important I am sure there are ways around it for me.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Zimmerman
on Dec 22, 2013 at 10:12:10 am

See if you can find a CS6 license for Encore. I use it to author my FCPX edits and Adobe didn't update it for CC.

FCP X Certified Pro, Level Two

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Dec 22, 2013 at 10:20:31 am
Last Edited By Morten Ranmar on Dec 22, 2013 at 10:24:36 am

FCPX interprets C100 footage wrong. It assumes it is interlaced.

- No Parking Production -

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x Prod. bundle CS6, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Ethernet File Server w. X-Raid.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Dec 22, 2013 at 12:27:58 pm
Last Edited By Ronny Courtens on Dec 22, 2013 at 12:30:09 pm

Some cameras such as the C100 indeed fail to properly flag the recorded video and as a result the field order of the imported clips can get wrongly interpreted by an NLE (not only by FCPX for that matter).

If you have shot progressive video using the C100 and you see that FCPX has interpreted the video as interlaced: select all the clips in the Browser and in the Inspector > Info tab set "Field Dominance Override" to Progressive. Easy as that.

For the rest I concur with everything said above: FCPX is an NLE you definitely should consider.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Nicholas Zimmerman
on Dec 22, 2013 at 6:43:16 pm

I just colored a short film that was shot on a C100 and edited in FCPX without any issues.

FCP X Certified Pro, Level Two

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 22, 2013 at 3:26:50 pm

If you look in the App Store you'll find a number of Blu-Ray authoring programs. They're pretty much along the lines of iDVD though but if you need graphic menus and chapter markers they seem to be there.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Dec 22, 2013 at 7:10:48 pm

...and for fairness sake, you should ask the question of the other side as well. Ask on the Premiere forum. I must recuse myself since I am...

Dennis - Adobe guy.

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Dec 23, 2013 at 3:24:55 am

Can't say I have enough experience with FCP X, but I've made the transition from FCP7 to Premiere CC and find it the easiest move of all the NLE's - it's FCP7 on Steroids with virtually no rendering, accepting any format, with seamless round tripping to Audition, Premiere and Photoshop.

If you like tracks and a automated keyframable mixer - FCP X may not be for you - Premiere's made it a breeze.

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Dec 25, 2013 at 5:05:03 pm

It's definitely a choose your poison. No reason you can't do what you need in either Premiere or FCP X.

For me, the transition to FCP X was a lot easier than the reputation would suggest. The other editor at my organization also had no trouble, and he's not the best at learning new things. By far the hardest transition I made with NLE's was Media 100 to Avid about 12 years ago and I was younger and more nimble then.

But as they say, results may vary. Some people just do not take to the FCP X timeline structure. For me it was not hard.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]