FORUMS: list search recent posts

It's been a little while since I have setup a brand new machine

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Garchow
It's been a little while since I have setup a brand new machine
on Dec 21, 2013 at 3:34:40 am

Sure, I have done reinstalls and updates over the last several years, but this is the first time setting up a brand spanking new machine with the newest "Apple ecosystem" and "next generation" hardware.

It truly is an ecosystem. I am sure I'll be called a fanboi, but Apple has done a really nice job. I have to give them a lot of credit.

I had everything setup in about an hour, including all the updates and ancillary material, emails, contacts, apps, and even had a bonus wireless second monitor while doing so with the AppleTV extended monitor function.

This, of course, does not include iTunes/Pictures/Etc.

I am talking about getting a working editing system up and running, and being able to check emails, and contact people. Basically, I am able to get to work.

And there's this, which is a laptop boot drive:

It's been a long wait for the next step.

I think we may be OK here.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: It's been a little while since I have setup a brand new machine
on Dec 21, 2013 at 4:29:04 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "I think we may be OK here."

Premiere is gonna rock on that machine dude!

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 21, 2013 at 5:59:26 am

[Charlie Austin] "Premiere is gonna rock on that machine dude!"

I hope everything rocks on it, at least as much as a laptop can rock.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 21, 2013 at 6:17:18 am
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Dec 21, 2013 at 6:17:49 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "I hope everything rocks on it, at least as much as a laptop can rock."

It will. :-) Our GFX guy has been running Ps, Pr and AE CC, C4D, Lightroom, and 3 monitors off his, and it's a year old. Great machines. He's really looking forward to the tube though. The MBP does get a little ... clogged up sometimes. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 21, 2013 at 4:32:22 am

what you have learned is that doing a CLEAN INSTALL is wonderful.
What you should have done (and what you should still do ) is get a cheap USB drive, and clone your entire boot drive. This way, 3 years from now, when it takes 10 minutes for your project to open, you can just backup your data, and REFORMAT your boot drive, and boot up off your clone, and have your computer work just as good as it does RIGHT NOW, without having to say "but how am I going to get all this software and plug ins back onto my computer". After several years of screwing around with your computer, it inevidably will start to run slow, and it's EASY to make it run again, just like it does right now - simply by blowing away everything, and starting from scratch, which is very easily done by creating a clone drive, with what you have on the computer right now. This way - 3 - 4 years from now, it will run just as fast as you remember it when you first got your computer, and because you have the clone, it will be no big deal to do this re-install.

But will you do this ? ............................

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Dec 21, 2013 at 5:02:05 am

The problem is that so many people bought into the "conventional wisdom" that only Windows requires this and OSX is bulletproof and never slows down.

Which is not at all the case.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 21, 2013 at 5:30:52 am

But it's not really about the clones. I have clones. It takes hours and hours to clone, and then you have to reinstall anything that didn't make it.

Plus, I can't really clone my systems anymore due to SAN configurations. I mean I could, but it's not the best way to go about it. Clean installs are the best way.

This happened because with several simple passwords and a reasonably fast connection, I can download and install an decent edit and communcation system on a computer that came off the FedEx truck from China an hour ago.

Creative Cloud helped with this, too.

Add a relevant IP address, some SAN software, Join the SAN, restart, and away we go.

The 900MB/sec boot drive and an AirPlay 50" monitor are bonuses.

I didn't need a upgrade hexadecimal key from three years ago, and then a full version key from five years ago, and six install disks.

In one hour, I was able to setup and start editing with no extra cables, discs, software, or hassle.

I have reinstalled plenty of systems from scratch, but this, by far, was the fastest, easiest, and painless process from unbox to edit.

I could clone this disk, but I can even do a clean install from this computer without anything else but the built in recovery disk.

Can't wait to do this again, for the MacPros when they finally arrive next summer, or whenever the back stock is cleared.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Dec 21, 2013 at 12:02:19 pm

what's the spec of the machine?

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Dec 21, 2013 at 12:58:59 pm

At first I thought he had a Tube already!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 21, 2013 at 2:53:50 pm

[Mark Dobson] "what's the spec of the machine?
"

Fully decked 15" rMBP.

I thought I'd miss the 17" real estate, but after scaling the screen to 1920x1200, I don't miss it all and actually enjoy the 15" form factor.

And, the mavericks "remote disc" feature seems like we finally have a viable solution to do disc installs over a network without much hassle, although most of my discs are imaged anyway for quick installs. It's the next best thing to having cloud downloads. ;)

Clever folks over there at Apple.

Return to posts index

Phil Hoppes
on Dec 21, 2013 at 12:12:00 pm

OSX or Windows, I eventually end up doing a clean install about once every 18 months. They all get bit rot. I do a CCC of my OSX machines when I make them new again but that is more for a quick insurance policy. As time marches on and I use a machine I add software, delete software, change configurations so that inevitably to do a clean restore from where I was 18 months ago takes just about as long as it takes me to just do a clean install period. I opt for the clean install every time for, as I mentioned, in the period of time between installs I've modified my workflow, added new things, found that in the past 18 months stuff was incompatible and now with a clean install I can correct things, yada, yada, yada.....

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 21, 2013 at 2:19:31 pm

But what about the 3 years of OS and App updates? That clone would be completely irrelevant after 18 months. After cloning back, then updating all the apps and reinstalling plugins it would be just as fragmented as before.

Jeremy's point is a good one. Having swapped out my iMac a few times in the last couple years, and gotten us a laptop, it's amazing. I simply put in my AppleID and my AdobeID and I can hit the redownload button and walk away and everything is the latest greatest version, without running a bunch of updates or using discs or inputting serial numbers. And for me, I keep iPhoto's on an external and have music match so my iTunes library is just there for the streaming. And now, Adobe even syncs your preferences, so even that doesn't need tweaking. Even my safari bookmarks are automatic. It's all the little extra apps that are the nuisance. The little ones you need that require serial numbers and aren't downloadable from the App Store like fetch for example.

If you're talking about keeping an up to date clone as an emergency boot, then that might be something completely different.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 21, 2013 at 2:49:22 pm

[Bret Williams] "The little ones you need that require serial numbers and aren't downloadable from the App Store like fetch for example."

I broke down and repurchased Fetch from the App Store. It saves some hassle.

Now I just import the shortcuts, but have to re-enter the passwords.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Dec 21, 2013 at 3:06:28 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I broke down and repurchased Fetch from the App Store."

Dude. Transmit. SOOO much better.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 21, 2013 at 3:52:20 pm

[Andrew Richards] "Dude. Transmit. SOOO much better."

Yeah. I hear you.

I've been using Fetch since I was a teenager. I feel a certain bond.

It hasn't been updated in a long time. It's my connection to legacy apps. ;)

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Dec 21, 2013 at 11:58:25 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "It hasn't been updated in a long time. It's my connection to legacy apps. ;)"

The irony! It's killing me!

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Dec 21, 2013 at 3:03:08 pm

[Bret Williams] "But what about the 3 years of OS and App updates? That clone would be completely irrelevant after 18 months. After cloning back, then updating all the apps and reinstalling plugins it would be just as fragmented as before."

Here's how the pros do that (condensed version):
  • Set up a DeployStudio server
  • Create .pkg installers for anything that doesn't ship as one using JAMF Composer
  • Use AutoDMG to create a custom OS X installer images to be used with DeployStudio
  • Annually or biannually or quarterly create an up-to-date deployment image with updates applied
Whenever a clean install is desired, simply reboot the workstation with the N key held down to NetBoot off the DeployStudio server and re-install with the appropriate custom OS X image hosted on the server. Go to lunch and have a freshly installed and configured virgin workstation with all your apps and plugins when you get back. If you have an Open Directory server set up as well, your user folder contents can be stored independently so all your individual user preferences remain intact and get synched down the first time you log in.

Obviously, the effort to set this up and maintain it is going to be overkill for individuals and is a time commitment that only makes sense for a dedicated IT staffer at a facility, but I just wanted to share in case anyone might be interested. The only software in that list that costs any money is JAMF Composer at $99. DeployStudio and AutoDMG are free community-supported tools.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 21, 2013 at 3:06:03 pm

[Bret Williams] "It's all the little extra apps that are the nuisance. The little ones you need that require serial numbers and aren't downloadable from the App Store like fetch for example"

I keep installers for apps like these in a folder on my Dropbox, and I keep their serials in Evernote. I still have to install manually of course, but at least this way everything I need syncs to my computer.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Dec 21, 2013 at 2:32:19 pm

Thanks Bob! I do a clean install every now and then but never thought of doing it this way. I would just format the drive and then use Time Machine...

my Tube will arrive in February (sigh) and your suggestion is exactly what i'll be doing!

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Dec 22, 2013 at 2:42:44 am

[Andre van Berlo] "Thanks Bob! I do a clean install every now and then but never thought of doing it this way. I would just format the drive and then use Time Machine...

my Tube will arrive in February (sigh) and your suggestion is exactly what i'll be doing!"

Time Machine can bring back all of the slowness causing gremlins back.

C.C.Cloner or any of the other options can clone a 256GB SSD in under a half hour if you have a decent USB 3.0 drive. I set mine to update a sparseimage nightly in case of emergency. I've RMA'd two SSD boot drives so far so I also keep a semi current fresh install bootable USB drive.

This has saved my bacon several times when having to deauthorize apps and plugins after a drive failure since doing a fresh install counts as an additional computer. Time Machine is great for set it and forget it backups, but it doesn't always carry over strict licensing activations over.

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Dec 22, 2013 at 5:50:22 am

Thanks! I'll look into cc cloner then. I didn't know doing a fresh install could actually cost me an extra license, ridiculous when you think of it really. I buy the software, shouldn't that be enough?

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Dec 21, 2013 at 6:56:34 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "And there's this, which is a laptop boot drive:"

Sweet, isn't it? I have the same machine and this week I'm setting up four similar ones for my partners in LA. Grinning ear to ear every time I reboot in under 15 seconds. Enjoy your new rocketship and happy holidays! :)

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 21, 2013 at 8:37:46 pm

Thanks so much, David.

Happy Holidays to you, too.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Dec 21, 2013 at 10:37:51 pm

I'm bummed because I'm planning on a new Macbook pro, but Avid and Mavericks don't play well yet. I'm hoping this will change soon, but…. Oh, well. I wish I could install Mountain Lion on it. Maybe I'll run Win 7. Sigh.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 23, 2013 at 5:46:52 pm

[Chris Harlan] "I'm bummed because I'm planning on a new Macbook pro, but Avid and Mavericks don't play well yet. I'm hoping this will change soon, but…. Oh, well. I wish I could install Mountain Lion on it. Maybe I'll run Win 7. Sigh."

It will be worth the wait.

Return to posts index

Jok Daniel
on Dec 23, 2013 at 7:57:01 pm

FYI, Avid released MC 7.0.3 today, with support for Mavericks (10.9 and 10.9.1).

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 23, 2013 at 8:09:27 pm

...and it was a short wait!

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Dec 24, 2013 at 12:32:16 am

[Jok Daniel] "FYI, Avid released MC 7.0.3 today, with support for Mavericks (10.9 and 10.9.1)."

Yahoo!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]