FORUMS: list search recent posts

Have you really learned FCPX?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eli Hollander
Have you really learned FCPX?
on Jun 26, 2011 at 5:58:41 pm

I have been spending the last two (full) days going through an excellent tutorial (Steve Martin's) for FCPX. So far I'm truly impressed with the power of FCPX. At first glance, FCPX seems simple and straight forward, but I have been continuously surprised by how powerful and flexible it truly is, once you learn about the extensive and deep subtleties of the tools and methods. I have been editing for years on many systems (including film on "upright Moviolas and flatbeds), and I am beginning to recognize the revolutionary aspects of FCPX.

Yes, many thing are missing (they have been enumerated on this and other forums), and yes, I do think that Randy U. is aware of them as much as anyone. And, yes, some decisions baffle me (like IN/OUT points not staying with clips after marking them, then returning to that clip), I do have confidence that FCPX will grow into an amazing editing environment.

I encourage you to learn about the deep tools of FCPX before making snap judgements based on initial impressions.

In my opinion, Apple could help its case by publishing deep and thorough interactive tutorials that present FCPX's powerful tools and methods, which are not obvious and easily gleaned through casual use.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
Re: Have you really learned FCPX?
on Jun 26, 2011 at 6:31:20 pm

I'm trying to get a sense of this in general - do you like the gapless timeline behaviour? Or do you sort of just not mind it? I can be a bit of a slob, I'll often keep whole versions of my edit lying around down the timeline and then scavenge them as I go, having every clip glued to the clip next to it is sort of giving me the heebee jeebies.. I know there are slugs you can squeeze in-between the clips, but in my mind that's not really the same thing?

Also, do you like that clips you drop on V2 (I know, second storyline :) auto attach to the clip below?

I'm not trying to rant or say that that behaviour is definitively flawed, I'm just genuinely curious

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 26, 2011 at 6:42:54 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "I'm trying to get a sense of this in general - do you like the gapless timeline behaviour? Or do you sort of just not mind it? I can be a bit of a slob, I'll often keep whole versions of my edit lying around down the timeline and then scavenge them as I go, having every clip glued to the clip next to it is sort of giving me the heebee jeebies.. I know there are slugs you can squeeze in-between the clips, but in my mind that's not really the same thing?"

In FCP 7 gaps behaved... sort of like clips, but not in all respects, and this wasn't obvious because they looked nothing like clips. Basically, the new behavior is just cleaning up this UI inconsistency. Gaps now behave almost exactly like clips, and look like selectable objects.

I'm also a fan of the fact that you can now add named placeholder clips (and even customize the placeholder image with all sorts of customizable parameters.

This beats the hell out of using gaps labeled with markers as placeholders in FCP 7.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 26, 2011 at 7:03:07 pm

Mmm. Placeholders are nice, but a gapless single track magnetic timeline is just crazy town in my head. I'm looking at the FCP 7 timeline right now and what apple have turned it into - I can't take it in - it's just crazy, crazy crazy.

I'm just refusing to accept apple's imposed reality - I'm sticking to the basic argument that editing is a multitrack operation and the software is supposed to respect that fact. That software FCPX has been incontrovertibly simplified for the consumer market. Whatever else we say or feel about it, that is an inescapable truth, apple have taken a professional application and retooled it for consumers. That they could not have realised they were doing that, that what they were doing would impact negatively and directly on countless thousands of professional creatives, the people who are, or at least were once, the heart and soul of the apple brand... Apple did this in full knowledge.

And there, I'm back on my soap box: http://bit.ly/jIUH2N

Famous quote from Neil Armstrong:
"Randy Ubillos, you degenerate low IQ wart, FCP7 wasn't a multitrack editor, editing is a multitrack operation, editing software is intended to be an expression of that truth."

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 26, 2011 at 7:05:34 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "I'm just refusing to accept apple's imposed reality - I'm sticking to the basic argument that editing is a multitrack operation and the software is supposed to respect that fact."

Editing is a mutilayer operation. Tracks are just one way of laying.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
on Jun 28, 2011 at 12:27:11 am

"Thank You For Smoking"

---

http://www.peterdv.com

Return to posts index

Bill Marcellus
on Jun 26, 2011 at 7:11:23 pm

Having not purchased nor experimented with FCP X yet, my knowledge comes only from having read numerous comments on this forum. I AM intrigued by the idea of FCP X's metadata capabilities.

Now that I have seen your screen capture of (I may be wrong- I am assuming here) a window displaying metadata at the clip level, where would I add "Scene 104, A, Take 6"? Is there an additional field available for these type of notations? And would I be able to search by entering "Scene 104" and find all clips affiliated with that scene?

If so, this could be a huge timesaver.

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jun 27, 2011 at 7:03:52 am

Yeah, kind of like putting all those clips in a bin. Maybe someday somebody will think of that. Oh wait...

Chris

Return to posts index

Eddie McFly
on Jul 14, 2011 at 6:28:07 pm

in either list view or in the inspector info extended view, you can add reel, scene, and take. then, make a smart collection that automatically shows whichever clips have this metadata. it updates dynamically as you label more clips, and if you want, clips can appear in multiple collections based on their metadata — a lot faster than duplicating and filing into bins…

Return to posts index

Eli Hollander
on Jun 26, 2011 at 7:24:33 pm

Re gaps... I too use gaps for all sorts of reasons and I find them useful to the process, and the position cursor/tool (keyboard shortcut: "P") allows you to position anything anywhere, in effect, turning off the "magnetic" quality of clips. I don't see this as a problem.

Putting clips above the primary storyline still allows you to move those clips freely in the timeline, but they also have a relationship to the clips below. If you create a secondary storyline, made up of several clips, they can be dealt with as a unit, but they can also be broken up at will.

As expressed earlier, FCPX looks deceptively simple and too "simplified," but one really does need to go through the program with a good and deep tutorial to gain appreciation for FCPX's power, flexibility, and ingenuity.

Eli

Return to posts index

J Hussar
on Jun 26, 2011 at 7:54:09 pm

My issue is the assembly process. My first sequence is always an assembly. Then 'cut 1,' 'cut 2' etc. If I have to refer back to a particular cut I can, and pull something I cut together better before - it might only be 5 clips edited together out hundreds - I don't want to go back to an old cut - I just may want a tiny part of an old cut.

Back to the assembly, I dump a bunch clips in the time line. Then I try and sort them into what makes sense. I keep a bunch sloughed off to the end. I use the space in between each section to keep them nicely separated from one another until I decide how they are going to mesh together. It's like a nice blank slate that I control (i.e. I edit it). I populate the timeline as I wish, where I wish.

I also keep at least one or more old projects open from similar jobs so I can pull some pre-made clip groups that are in them. I like having the other separate projects available, and I don't want them interfering with my current job, I want them in their own project.

Am I going to be screwed over? Will I have a bunch of empty video tracks and empty audio tracks to work with? It doesn't look like that is the case. And that really is a major issue, besides all the others noted here.

Return to posts index

Eli Hollander
on Jun 26, 2011 at 9:16:43 pm

I think that J Hussar makes an excellent point: it would be very nice to have multiple timelines/projects open at the same time in different floating windows (more opportunities for Apple to sell more monitors); I also sometimes use a timeline as a kind of a bin. That said, one can have multiple projects (timelines) but they can't be visible at the same time (but it's very easy to go back and forth between timelines/projects and to cut/paste between them). I find that copying/pasting from one timeline to another is terrific compared to previous versions of FCP--the logical relationships of multiple layers and between image and sound clips are beautifully maintained... no more broken up clips when pasting in the middle of a complex timeline.

As far as keeping material at the end of the timeline as a kind of playpen experimental area,, that's completely doable: an option-W command will open up a space, or selecting material and using the "position" cursor allows you to place that material anywhere downstream in the timeline. Speaking of experimenting, the "Audition" clip tool is totally amazing.

Return to posts index

J Hussar
on Jun 27, 2011 at 12:41:06 am

Thanks Eli, very interesting! Again, if they would just fix some of the limitations, expand the paradigm, I think most of us here wouldn't have a problem. Let us have some extra sequences, better control of bins, multiple monitors, let us control our files how we see fit. It's not much to ask for actually.

And tell us that they definitely are going to fix it - they would get a lot less grumbling!

I saw the feature demo and was very excited actually - I really was. It was just when I discovered the limitations, well, that's when I got cranky.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]