FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lightweight Libraries

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Loren Risker
Lightweight Libraries
on Dec 20, 2013 at 7:27:09 pm

I edit at the office and at home. I used to copy my event and project to my cloud storage so everything would be there when I got home, no need to carry a drive.

Now that we can store libraries anywhere, I was hoping to just keep a lightweight library in my google drive folder so I wouldn't even have to copy anything over. However, I can't figure out a way to move the transcoded media and render files out of the library. Am I missing something? The auto-save feature already does this nicely, but I can't figure out how to trigger it. If I could have more control over that, then I would put my autobackups in the cloud.

I tried to do a symbolic link of both the Transcoded Media folder and the Render Files folder, which kind of works. I can transcode and see it, but FCPX still indicates that the files are offline, even though they play back fine. A symbolic link directly to the Proxy Media folder and High Quality folder does the same. IT seems to render normally, but the orange bar never goes away and that would drive me crazy.

Anyone else have any ideas?

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, mini-docs.

Return to posts index

John Young
Re: Lightweight Libraries
on Dec 20, 2013 at 7:34:20 pm

Can't you just go into the Library package in the finder and do the same thing you did before. It's a little more messy depending on how many events you use, but the structure is still there. You may have to grab the CurrentVersion.flexolibrary too. Not sure, but you could experiment.

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on Dec 20, 2013 at 7:39:12 pm

Absolutely, but it wasn't a great process before and now there's a few more things to keep track of. I'd like to simplify the process so it's automatic. And since the functionality is there with the auto-saves, there's got to be a way to do it.

-------------

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 20, 2013 at 7:50:27 pm

[Loren Risker] "Now that we can store libraries anywhere, I was hoping to just keep a lightweight library in my google drive folder so I wouldn't even have to copy anything over. However, I can't figure out a way to move the transcoded media and render files out of the library. Am I missing something? The auto-save feature already does this nicely, but I can't figure out how to trigger it. If I could have more control over that, then I would put my autobackups in the cloud."

Duplicate the Library to the Google drive.

Render files should not be copied.

Or delete render files before moving.

The Consolidate function is supposed to move managed media out of the Library. I also haven't tested.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on Dec 20, 2013 at 10:57:04 pm

I can't see any function within FCPX to duplicate the library. I could of course manually remove all of the renders and transcoded files, copy the library, then move them back in - but that's tedious. I could also figure out a script, but then when I Get home I'd have to put all of my old renders and transcoded media out of the outdated library into the new library. I wish I could just tell FCPX to render and transcode to a scratch disk or something.

-------------

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 20, 2013 at 11:12:49 pm

I'll have to test this later.

I do wish that render files could be stored elsewhere but there's no "Copy" function?

Generated media still goes in to the Library similar to Events in FCP 10.0.

I hope to get to testing really soon.

This is what I'd like to test from the Media Management white paper:

"Managed and External Media
Media that you import into a specific library is stored inside the library and is referred to as managed media. Media can also be imported or copied to any location on a connected volume and linked to the library as external media. Multiple users can access this external media instantly on shared storage, including a storage area network (SAN) such as Xsan, Appleā€™s SAN file system.
If you want to share access to managed media, you can convert it to external media at any time using the Consolidate command. You can also use the Consolidate command to collect external media as managed media inside the library for easy transport or archiving.

Generated Media
Render files, optimized files, and proxy files are all considered generated media because the system creates them in the background after the original media has been imported. All generated media is managed media and is stored inside the library.
To save disk space, you can remove render files before moving or archiving a library. Copying a project between libraries does not copy render files because render files can be quickly regenerated."

If generated media = managed media, it seems to me you'd be able to move the media out of the Library with Consolidate.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 21, 2013 at 5:41:07 am

[Loren Risker] "I can't see any function within FCPX to duplicate the library."

Yeah, you can't. You can do a Finder duplicate, but that keeps everything. It would be great to have a way to trigger a backup, those libraries are the perfect size for EZ transfer... Feature request! :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 21, 2013 at 5:47:22 am

I am just reading a link Charlie sent earlier and it discusses a Cloud workflow.

http://www.10dot1.co.uk/guides Page 36

It looks like the quote I linked to earlier was a bit misleading.

Generated media is NOT managed media in that you can't consolidate generated media out of the Library.

Generated media always stays in the Library.

So in your case, Lorne, you'd have to have the media external, and either generate media later, or not include the generated media in the upload.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 22, 2013 at 5:09:43 am

Loren, maybe you can try restoring a backup?

The library backup files seem small.

You can set a backup location in prefs.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 22, 2013 at 5:12:51 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "The library backup files seem small."

I think that would be a great solution... The problem is, there needs to be a "backup now" command or something. Otherwise you just sit and wait for the latest one to appear in "20 minutes or so"... which is what I've heard it does...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 22, 2013 at 7:55:27 pm

OK.

After some playing around, I think I might have figured this out at least somewhat, let's call it a starting point.

Pre-Flight, this assumes you have the same "original media" at work and at home.

First, Consolidate the Original Media out of the original Library. This will now create links to your media. If your media is already linked, skip this step.

Select all the Events in the Library you want to transfer.

Choose, File > Copy Events to Library > New Library.

Put this Library in your Google Drive folder and call it Transfer, click save.

You get a warning like this:

Uncheck the boxes for optimized and proxy.

This will create a Library with essentially nothing in it but links to media.

Click the Library, choose "Reveal in Finder" or hit command-option-r. Check the size.

If the size is huge, perhaps you forgot to Consolidate the media out of the Library. If you did, don't worry, simply consolidate the media out of the "transfer" Library and delete it.

Prepare to leave for home. Walk, drive, bike, or public transport safely.

Once home, download the Library, load the "Transfer" library. Or rename it to whatever you want, and then load it.

You can even load it, then rename it in the Finder with FCPX and running, and FCPX will update it.

Relink files.

Libraries are a very significant update to FCPX.

Holy crap.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on Dec 22, 2013 at 7:59:41 pm

That sounds pretty good, then I can just manually move the old transcoded folder into the new one I suppose. Still not as easy as it could be but this will be enough to get me to upgrade at home now.

-------------

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 22, 2013 at 8:05:11 pm

What is the format of your footage?

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on Dec 22, 2013 at 8:18:06 pm

I mostly use h.264 and edit in proxy mode.

-------------

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 22, 2013 at 8:19:35 pm

is it mulitcam, or why the proxy mode?

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on Dec 22, 2013 at 8:22:53 pm

I edit on a 13" macbook pro at home, proxy gives a significant performance boost.

-------------

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 22, 2013 at 8:26:52 pm

I see.

It would be great if we could Consolidate Generated media out of the Libraries.

It would help a lot.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 22, 2013 at 8:28:16 pm

Actually, after you load your "Transfer" Library, you could transfer the Events to your current Library and then Merge it all.

Might not be worth it, though.

More testing.

Return to posts index

Chad Greene
on Dec 21, 2013 at 4:40:40 pm

Could you use another program to sync specific library files/folders to Drive? I use GoodSync all the time at work for syncing. http://www.goodsync.com/

I love the idea of syncing the Proxy folder and the events/project databases this way. Not sure if it would work, but it sounds quite cool.

Chad Greene Mahoney Media Group Minneapolis, Minnesota 2x2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 12GB Ram, OS 10.6 FCP 7, Kona-LHi

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on Dec 22, 2013 at 8:18:47 pm

I'll test that out too.

-------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]