FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Mac Pro + FCPX 10.1 performance

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andre van Berlo
New Mac Pro + FCPX 10.1 performance
on Dec 20, 2013 at 7:01:11 pm

Probably most have already seen this but at FCP.CO they've put one of the first Mac Pro's through its paces with FCPX and a lot of 4K material.

Judging from the video I think the 2 are a match made in heaven. I've no use for 4K myself in the near future but it is comforting to know this machine can eat anything you throw at it...

You can read the post on fcp.co here: http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles/1307-the-first-24-hours-with-apple...

and this is the video:

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
Re: New Mac Pro + FCPX 10.1 performance
on Dec 20, 2013 at 7:10:08 pm

That's ok I guess... but I normally stack at least 24 effects on my 6K Dragon footage so FCPX and the new Mac Pro won't work for me at all.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Dec 20, 2013 at 7:23:33 pm

:-) Maybe you can put in a request if they can try just that.

Though I think what they did was not necessarily the limit for what that tower can do with FCPX and 4K. The video only shows what it can do and up to this point there are no limitations, but how far it can go is something we'll have to find out I guess..

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Dec 20, 2013 at 8:42:21 pm

I'm not sure FCP X actually decodes Red footage at 4K in "better performance" mode. It might just be doing a half-res decode. Still impressive; even a half-res decode decode is very CPU-intensive without a RedRocket.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Dec 20, 2013 at 8:55:00 pm

Yes- Better performance does a half debayer.

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
on Dec 20, 2013 at 8:56:00 pm

[Chris Kenny] "I'm not sure FCP X actually decodes Red footage at 4K in "better performance" mode. It might just be doing a half-res decode. Still impressive; even a half-res decode decode is very CPU-intensive without a RedRocket."

That is amazing processing power. It's getting to the point with RED footage that it is ubiquitous. We've all had a chance to pull our hair out decoding it. To play it back with that many effects without dropping a frame is jaw dropping.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Dec 20, 2013 at 9:14:50 pm

I'm a bit surprised that if the machine can play 1/2 debayer with all those effects that it can't play back at full debayer with none.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Dec 20, 2013 at 11:27:35 pm

I'd imagine FX are processed on the GPUs and the RED debayer is still CPU-based. When the new RED API goes live I think that might change.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Dec 20, 2013 at 11:33:31 pm

Redcine now uses OpenCL which speeds up renders immensely. Maybe the dual 700's are the answer?

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Dec 20, 2013 at 11:59:25 pm

I think both Adobe and Black Magic have stated the GUI-accelerated API's aren't publicly available yet.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Dec 21, 2013 at 1:50:23 am

I believe that machine WAS running the dual D700s. Except for the 12-core processor, it was basically maxed out.

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Dec 21, 2013 at 2:28:40 pm

Exactly Marcus, this machine uses 8core,D700,and 64GB of RAM, the ssd is 1TB but that doesn't really matter as they are using the G-raid to store the media.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]