FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anybody HAPPY?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Wilson
Anybody HAPPY?
on Dec 20, 2013 at 5:35:08 pm

Far be it from me to start a thread that might lead to some positive energy LOL but I'm curious. Is anybody looking at this and saying, "Wow, what a great update," or "This has exactly the features I was waiting for," or, "This update makes me feel better about myself" -- anything like that?

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: Anybody HAPPY?
on Dec 20, 2013 at 5:48:34 pm

Libraries are great. Just lots of new things to learn and workflows to figure out. I didn't get the kitchen sink - but I'm pretty pleased with the update.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Dec 20, 2013 at 5:54:06 pm

It looks nice to me on the general front. About to start a big project in it here in the next day or so, so I feel more comfortable knowing the ins and outs when I'm in the middle of it.

Looking foward to most of the plugins I have been eyeing for a while getting updated to FxPlug3 more than anything.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 20, 2013 at 5:58:46 pm

This will surprise none, but I think it's great. :-) 10.0.x seems old and clunky to me now... lol I still have a list of "wants", but it's shorter, and Libraries are really really nice. 'm also glad they spent all this time on the guts of X, because now they'll attend to the UI stuff. ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 20, 2013 at 6:01:27 pm

I like what I see. I just wish there was more to see and like.
Most disappointed about lack of improvements to Color Board stuff and Roles as well.
The Libraries was badly needed though. I have a hunch that FxPlug 3 is going to be huge step forward for plugin development and UI and that's where we'll see some improved Toys.
There are lots of nice little things… just not 14 months worth of them.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 20, 2013 at 6:04:30 pm

Ironically, this all sounds eerily like the reaction Apple got when they went from FCP 6 to FCP 7.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Dec 20, 2013 at 6:16:31 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Ironically, this all sounds eerily like the reaction Apple got when they went from FCP 6 to FCP 7."

And then they killed it. Is this the end of the road already? ;-)

Libraries are just what was called for - hardly the most imaginative thing but very welcome nonetheless. They've already saved me a lot of time.

For me the most promising thing is how much faster it is, especially in rendering certain third party effects (which shall remain nameless)! A very significant speed hike.

The UI still feels sludgy and swathed in undesirable chrome though - did the dancing dot really have to animate?

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 20, 2013 at 6:20:11 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "And then they killed it. Is this the end of the road already? ;-)"

LOL. I doubt it!

[Simon Ubsdell] "Libraries are just what was called for - hardly the most imaginative thing but very welcome nonetheless. They've already saved me a lot of time."

What I find stunning, is that no one figured out at the design stage that this is how it should have been in the first place. Especially considering that's what they did in Aperture.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Dec 20, 2013 at 6:21:45 pm

[Oliver Peters] "What I find stunning, is that no one figured out at the design stage that this is how it should have been in the first place"

See my point above - it was what is was because the design was entirely lifted from iMovie ...

I don't there was much questioning of the model at that point in time.

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 20, 2013 at 6:29:09 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "I don't there was much questioning of the model at that point in time."

Meaning, internally, the "editors" lost and the "engineers" won. Probably as simple as Steve saying, "Randy, make it so."

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Dec 20, 2013 at 6:31:40 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Meaning, internally, the "editors" lost and the "engineers" won. Probably as simple as Steve saying, "Randy, make it so.""

That interpretation would certainly make the most sense of how it has all panned out.

Design by diktat is sometimes exactly what's needed and sometimes ...

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 20, 2013 at 6:39:22 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "[Oliver Peters] "Meaning, internally, the "editors" lost and the "engineers" won. Probably as simple as Steve saying, "Randy, make it so.""

That interpretation would certainly make the most sense of how it has all panned out.

Design by diktat is sometimes exactly what's needed and sometimes "

Yep. At least now there is some hope that the Editors are ascendant. They just need to turn on the damn playhead to playhead replace function, fulfill the promise of Roles, remove some molasses from the UI, rework the media browser (iMovie's is nice) let you drag the video animation panel past the clip boundaries, and put iMovie style templates in so I don't have to do anything but click on random shots and it edits for me.

Then I'll really be happy. ;-)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 20, 2013 at 6:38:16 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "The UI still feels sludgy and swathed in undesirable chrome though - did the dancing dot really have to animate?"

I wish you could control which layer the ball animates to.

This would bring yet another selection option, a la, Autodesk Smoke.

Great artists steal, etc....

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Dec 20, 2013 at 6:43:14 pm

I've actually found the dancing dot to be a nice feature - apart from the dancing part.

It's odd that the whole flatter UI aesthetic hasn't yet permeated through to getting rid of this type of silly animation chrome.

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 20, 2013 at 6:52:05 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "I've actually found the dancing dot to be a nice feature - apart from the dancing part. "

Me too. I jsut want more! ;) Like option up or down arrow, changes the layer to which the ball dances.

[Simon Ubsdell] "It's odd that the whole flatter UI aesthetic hasn't yet permeated through to getting rid of this type of silly animation chrome."

BUt at least the corners of the thumbnails are all squared off?

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Dec 20, 2013 at 6:58:15 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "[Simon Ubsdell] "I've actually found the dancing dot to be a nice feature - apart from the dancing part. "

Me too. I jsut want more! ;) Like option up or down arrow, changes the layer to which the ball dances."

Yes, I can see that being a really useful thing - feedback time.

[Jeremy Garchow] "[Simon Ubsdell] "It's odd that the whole flatter UI aesthetic hasn't yet permeated through to getting rid of this type of silly animation chrome."

BUt at least the corners of the thumbnails are all squared off?"

Mostly squared off but they just couldn't resist some residual roundness ;-) I can just imagine the battles over that one ...

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Dec 20, 2013 at 7:01:48 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "the battles over that one .."

[Enter a clever Monty Python skit here.]

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 20, 2013 at 6:59:06 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "[Simon Ubsdell] "It's odd that the whole flatter UI aesthetic hasn't yet permeated through to getting rid of this type of silly animation chrome."

BUt at least the corners of the thumbnails are all squared off?"

Yay! OK, here's my guess. A lot of the stuff editors need, was impossible to do with the old P/E split. So they spent all this time figuring out how to correct that "problem". I also think that they needed stuff that's in Mavericks to make it happen. Or maybe they're just lazy and work really slowly. Whatever.

But, it's done. Now the fun can begin! i hope.....

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Dec 20, 2013 at 6:05:59 pm

The Libraries are fine. I didn't really hate the other way, but this is probably better in the long run. I got a lot of things back that we had lost from FCP7, so that's a plus.

Still, after a year, one would like to see some new things added. Adobe isn't standing still, so I think Apple should probably do more.

Hopefully the new MacPro will make it really fly, so we'll have that.

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Dec 20, 2013 at 6:09:04 pm

[Tim Wilson] "Is anybody looking at this and saying, "Wow, what a great update," or "This has exactly the features I was waiting for," or, "This update makes me feel better about myself" -- anything like that?"

Yes, this update definitely made me feel better about myself -- it filled in my bald spot, helped me drop 25 lbs, added 2 inches where it counts the most and whitened and brightened my few remaining teeth. Thank you, Cupertino. Now if only the Yanks could find a starting pitcher in addition to a couple of infielders who could hit their weight, all would be right with the world.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Dec 20, 2013 at 6:21:25 pm

[Herb Sevush] "... it filled in my bald spot, helped me drop 25 lbs, added 2 inches where it counts the most and whitened and brightened my few remaining teeth."

Don't get caught with your drawers down.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Dec 20, 2013 at 6:41:57 pm

"just remember the large print giveth
and the small print taketh away"

Nice.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
on Dec 20, 2013 at 10:27:17 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Now if only the Yanks could find a starting pitcher in addition to a couple of infielders who could hit their weight, all would be right with the world."

I live here... but I root for a team that had a something to celebrate vs. the yanks in duh bronx in 06, 11, and 12. (you can call them duh troit... i don't mind).

I'm not so happy. The 10.1 update is fine. It's free and it has some great features. I was hoping for a few different, more advanced things. But what they did will be very practical and very helpful in my work. I'm going on record here to say I'm not happy with the mac pro launch. It's messy and late for business purposes.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Dec 20, 2013 at 11:04:32 pm

[Keith Koby] "but I root for a team that had a something to celebrate vs. the yanks in duh bronx in 06, 11, and 12. "

I've always liked the Tigers ever since the days of Al Kaline, which I'm guessing is a little bit before your time. 2nd best insignia in baseball -

One of the best sports documentaries I've ever seen was about another Tiger great "The Life and Times of Hank Greenberg." Well worth the watch, it's about more than the game.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
on Dec 20, 2013 at 11:19:18 pm

[Herb Sevush] "ve always liked the Tigers ever since the days of Al Kaline, which I'm guessing is a little bit before your time. 2nd best insignia in baseball -"

HA! Yes! My son keeps getting number 6 on all his baseball teams so I told him why it's a great number to have! He doesn't read the cow, so I can share with you that he's getting a #6 tigers jersey for christmas. He was before my time, but my dad filled me in... One of the first baseball games I watched on tv was tigers vs yanks with the bird fidrich pitching.

I haven't got to see the Hank Greenberg documentary yet. I'm looking forward to watching it. We should connect for Tigers Yankees this year. Connect with me over on linked in...

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Dec 20, 2013 at 11:40:50 pm

I'm the product of a mixed marriage (dad: 4th generation of Yankees fans; mom: Brooklyn Dodgers 4ever, although as the NY NL team, the Mets'll do), and grew up idolizing the whole 50s New York scene. All you need to know about my family dynamics, though, is that the Red Sox became my favorite team.

I still pay respectful attention to both New York teams, and I gotta say, nothing the Sox do this off season will help them win more games than the Yanks trading Cano.

re: Detroit, my first-ever baseball card: Mickey Lolich, 1966! His 1968 World Series is still one of the greatest.

I think we may need a baseball forum in the COW. :-)

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Dec 23, 2013 at 2:23:04 pm

[Tim Wilson] "I'm the product of a mixed marriage (dad: 4th generation of Yankees fans; mom: Brooklyn Dodgers 4ever, although as the NY NL team, the Mets'll do), and grew up idolizing the whole 50s New York scene. All you need to know about my family dynamics, though, is that the Red Sox became my favorite team. "

Contrarian that I am, I grew up in Brooklyn in a household of Dodger fans. My first game was at Ebbets field, but somehow the glory that was Mickey Mantle moved my allegiances further north. It is a testament to my father's love that I was not banished summarily from the house.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Dec 23, 2013 at 6:43:42 pm

[Herb Sevush] "somehow the glory that was Mickey Mantle moved my allegiances further north."

Yeah, Mickey was something special. Not enough to turn my mother to a Yankees fan by any means, but a grudging admiration. Willy Mays, though -- we all turned into Giants fans for those moments we saw him batting or fielding. I was just a hair too young to remember Jackie Robinson's prime, but, history aside, it sounds to me like anybody who laid eyes on him felt that way about him as a ballplayer.

There may only be a couple of players like that in a lifetime, where the love of the game transcends the most passionate fandoms. Rivera was that guy. Maybe Ripken before that -- another guy whose final year was a victory lap in every stadium he visited.

I'm surely missing someone, but between Mickey and Cal, off the top of my head, it was Roberto Clemente and Hank Aaron for me, and that may be it -- not as the GREATEST players, but the guys that made you stop and say, wow, I'm not going to see somebody like that DO something like that for the whole rest of my life.

Still, though, I've been watching the Ken Burns series Baseball again in the past couple of weeks. I think the game today is better on the whole, but New York in the 50s, man, THAT's something we're never going to see again.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Dec 23, 2013 at 7:05:03 pm

[Tim Wilson] "I'm surely missing someone, but between Mickey and Cal, off the top of my head, it was Roberto Clemente and Hank Aaron for me, and that may be it -- not as the GREATEST players, but the guys that made you stop and say, wow, I'm not going to see somebody like that DO something like that for the whole rest of my life."

Agreed on the names you named, but the one other guy that did it for me was Griffey Jr., in his Seattle days. He did everything, he made it look effortless, and then he made you smile as he ran around the bases.

In the '95 playoffs between Seattle and NY he absolutely killed us. I took my 10 year old with me for game 2 and Griffey had another big hit in the middle innings. When Griffey came back out to centerfield The whole stadium was rocking with a chant, and my son and I were trying to make out what it was. Finally we got it, all the "bleacher creatures" were yelling in unison - "F*ck You, Junior" - more as a compliment than anything else. We could see Jr. looking around as he heard it swirling around the stadium and then he just started laughing. My son still has his Griffey uni hanging in his closet.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Dec 23, 2013 at 2:17:03 pm

[Keith Koby] "One of the first baseball games I watched on tv was tigers vs yanks with the bird fidrich pitching."

I was at the stadium when the Bird beat the Yanks (i think it was two zip) in his big year. Amazing, even had the Yankee home crowd rooting for him. One of the saddest things in sports was his early demise.

It would be good to take in a game next year, hopefully when Verlander is pitching. I have a man crush on him.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Glenn Grant
on Dec 20, 2013 at 6:11:40 pm

I am working on a new project now and so far so good.

What I like about it, is it seems like Apple did listen to a lot of feed back. There are some fundamental changes here that, imo show Apple tried something new and it didn't work. So they made the changes that made sense to the people using the application.

There are still features that are missing but I certainly feel Apple is listening.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 20, 2013 at 6:17:31 pm

[Glenn Grant] "There are some fundamental changes here that, imo show Apple tried something new and it didn't work. So they made the changes that made sense to the people using the application"

That's a good thing, but it also goes to the heart of this forum. For over two years, many have complained about poor design choices based on overturning 100 years of editing principles. Apple certainly presented their approach as "trust us, we know better". Maybe Cupertino is a bit more humbled after all of this.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Dec 20, 2013 at 6:19:54 pm

[Oliver Peters] "That's a good thing, but it also goes to the heart of this forum. For over two years, many have complained about poor design choices based on overturning 100 years of editing principles. Apple certainly presented their approach as "trust us, we know better". Maybe Cupertino is a bit more humbled after all of this."

Isn't all they've done here is to finally throw away the crutches of the original iMovie design - which is the reason we had the Events + Projects model in the first place?

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Dec 20, 2013 at 7:04:26 pm

Yeah I don't see any improvements in actual editing - other than performance - Apple still wants us to edit their "newer, better" way.

I still believe it's all a mistake - all we needed was a 64bit update to 7 with some of the sexy charcoalness and I'd be happy. Obviously that's never gonna happen.

I do think FCPX will continue to be a winner with younger editors who "don't know any better" and the old farts like myself will keep using NLE's that make sense to us until we retire or move on.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

John Young
on Dec 20, 2013 at 7:18:17 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "Yeah I don't see any improvements in actual editing - other than performance "

Well, one big editing improvement for me was fixing multicam so you could detach audio and/or cut just video or audio onto a sequence. That's huge if you use multicam. Of course, like with the library revamp, it's hard to get really enthused when they just fix something that was poorly designed to begin with.

Now I hope they turn attention to rethinking the browser. I need multiple windows, or saved states, or at a bare minimum a back button. I spend way too much time browsing, and flipping views around.

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Dec 20, 2013 at 9:52:06 pm

update 7 with 64 bit sexy charcoal-ness? They've already done it - it's called Adobe Premiere CC

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Dec 20, 2013 at 9:55:06 pm

[Andy Field] "update 7 with 64 bit sexy charcoal-ness? They've already done it - it's called Adobe Premiere CC"

Only in my dreams. Reality - not so much.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Dec 20, 2013 at 7:35:32 pm

Like Oliver said, this release is +1 for engineers over editors. Being an engineer I agree. The first step to getting FCPX into a facility is winning over the engineers who have to integrate the damn thing into existing workflows. I think Apple thought FCPX would meander itself into facilities like FCP7 did in Avid environments. The tables are turned now however with a less flexible system (FCPX) trying to gain a foothold over a very flexible system (FCP7).

Apple made big foundational changes. Events have essentially been scrapped and relegated to simple folder like organization. San locations are gone too, so no more locked up media. The multiple "plates in the air" model has been scrapped and unified into a single library. The edges are starting so round meaning less pounding into that round hole.

It was mentioned how Apple could not foresee the dead end their initial course was leading to. Remember, this is the same company that presumably had meetings discussing the plan to not have FCPX open FCP7 projects and at the same time to kill FCP7. How a group of intelligent people could all agree to this is beyond comprehension.

In meetings with Apple I expressed that I saw no way of integrating FCPX in our shared environment and that I had no suggestions on how to tweak the existing Event based system. Apparently neither did Apple, and to their credit scrapped the foundation and built one that has a future. For that reason alone I am happy about the release and hopefully the people at Apple who knew better all along are now laughing at the emperor cowering naked in a corner.

John

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
on Dec 20, 2013 at 11:30:57 pm

[John Heagy] "The edges are starting so round meaning less pounding into that round hole"

Agreed... Even though we (where I work) were already using it and finding it powerful and useful, it needed some intuitive organizational help. Thanks to people like you suggesting things, it is on it's way to becoming more useful to bigger organizations. I appreciate your voice in the discussion John.

[John Heagy] "laughing at the emperor cowering naked in a corner"

oh boy... who lost their clothes?

Return to posts index

Bernhard Grininger
on Dec 21, 2013 at 9:23:28 am
Last Edited By Bernhard Grininger on Dec 21, 2013 at 9:25:19 am

Hoped for a feature update;
e.g. the new pipette for white balance as alternative to automatic CC; or the slightly brighter GUI scheme from iMovie ;-)

But I definitely understand that 10.1 is a big engineering overhaul,
so I would expect feature updates rolling in like in 10.0

Something I still don't understand:

Why Projects still need to be assigned to Events?

Apple suggest in the White Paper to organize Projects into Events separated from the media.

Quotation:
"Tip: To prevent any confusion over current versions of a project, keep media and projects in separate events. This way, the primary editor can control versions of edited sequences in an event dedicated to that purpose. Meanwhile, assistants can transfer media (such as dailies) using media-only events that are separate from the editor’s working projects."
Apple White Paper Managing Media with Final Cut Pro X Libraries, Page 16.

Wouldn't it be easier in general (for all workflows) if Projects would reside directly at the Library-level?

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Dec 20, 2013 at 7:02:49 pm

Other than the missing "Send To Motion" option and color board I am rather well pleased. Glad to see a library has been added. Best part, and a surprise, was the update was free! Perhaps the next few updates will bring the village people the tools they need.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Dec 20, 2013 at 8:58:33 pm

[Tim Wilson] "Far be it from me to start a thread that might lead to some positive energy LOL but I'm curious. Is anybody looking at this and saying, "Wow, what a great update," or "This has exactly the features I was waiting for," or, "This update makes me feel better about myself" -- anything like that?"

Libraries are a big improvement for us. We have several RAID systems with lots of projects on them. All elements related to a project (which can include consolidated footage used by Resolve, reel renders out of Resolve, numerous versions of audio mixes, final master ProRes files, DPX sequences, DCPs, etc.) are stored in a folder for that project. Previously, however, we couldn't store FCP X events/projects in those folders. Libraries let us do that handily — just create one library per project. We might even start actually letting FCP X import the media files (instead of linking to external files) now that this is the case, which will help with file system clutter.

Custom frame sizes are also great. We're working on feature content, which means we often need 'cinema' resolutions — primarily 2048x858 and 1998x1080 (DCI scope and flat). It's a little odd that these aren't just standard choices (since DCI 'full' — 2048x1080 is, but you essentially never actually use that for anything), but now I can just dial them in.

Workflow wise, the three things I'd still really like to see are built-in LUT support, support for image sequence formats (DPX, TIFF, Cinema DNG, maybe Arri Raw while they're at it), and batch exporting. At that point FCP X would be a fairly serious online editing tool.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 20, 2013 at 9:05:11 pm

[Chris Kenny] "At that point FCP X would be a fairly serious online editing tool."

shhh

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Dec 20, 2013 at 9:24:09 pm

The problem I've had the few times FCP X has been a part of my life is stability. Certainly I've read and heard that others have had this problem as well. So in the coming weeks I'd love to know if anyone is experiencing better performance in that regard.

Tim

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Dec 21, 2013 at 1:40:13 am

I'm wicked happy with Libraries.
I say this with the full expectation that Appleites are putting the finishing touches on similar needed/logical advancements to color and audio implementation.

And then there's the, "Please just restore it and we'll pretend it never happened", thing regarding turning our lovely route of commerce between Motion Ave and Final Cut Highway into a one-way goat path.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Dec 21, 2013 at 9:16:37 am

[Tim Wilson] "I'm curious. Is anybody looking at this and saying, "Wow, what a great update," or "This has exactly the features I was waiting for," or, "This update makes me feel better about myself" -- anything like that?"

Yes, ME!

Well. Libraries… don't really care. It's better for many people and I'm glad. I'll just alter my workflow as needed and probably improve it some how. I haven't completely grasped it all yet but I wasn't hurting with separate Events/Projects.

What I'm most excited about is the under the hood performance increase. Being that I don't own a thunderbolt equipped Mac yet (2008 2.8 eight core Mac Pro and 2010 2.66 dual core MBP), FCPX doesn't perform as well as I know it could. My main concerns being realtime effects playback and waiting for thumbnails and waveforms to build.

With the combination of the 10.1 update and moving to Mavericks, I've noticed a significant improvement in performance on the MBP (Mavericks hasn't made it onto the Mac Pro yet). Waveforms and thumbnails build a bit faster and I can get a little more real time playback with effects in better performance mode. Alex4Ds BruceX benchmark showed improvement as well. All things that make my daily life better.

Here is an example of the increased performance on my MBP. With the OS and Apps installed on an evenly-split partitioned SSD, the Media files and Event/Library on a 2TB LaCie D2 Quadra connected with FW800 (because Mavericks won't recognize the eSATA express card). New Timeline with a one hour 1920x1080 Prores clip. Better Performance selected-

FCPX 10.0.9 on Mountain Lion cannot playback without dropping frames with only the Add Noise and 50s TV effects applied (add noise and color correction will play).

FCPX 10.1 on Mavericks can playback without dropping frames with the Add Noise, 50s TV, Aged Film and a color correction with every parameter adjusted at least a little (a second color correction will drop frames after a few seconds). Significant for a Software update to be sure.

I just now did those tests back to back, then repeated each trying to get more effects to play.

BruceX-
FCPX 10.0.9----- 436
FCPX 10.1------- 368

I've also gone as far as to time how long each version takes to build Thumbnails and Waveforms. Starting with an open timeline, hit shift-z to fit, quit FCPX. Then trash the appropriate render files folders and reopen FCPX. As soon as the timeline pops up I start the timer-

10.1------ thumbnails build in 4 seconds---- Waveforms build in 1 min 41 sec
10.0.9--- thumbnails build in 12 seconds--- Waveforms build in 2 min 19 sec

then zooming in the timeline, the thumbnails need to update for each zoom level, 10.1 is snappier.

So, there's all that. Then there is all the actual features to be happy with.

remove through edit
used clip ranges/show unused only
Project Snapshots
AUTOSAVE VAULT!
share notifications (I've been happily using the "FCPX Messages" script app for a while)
Separate audio from Multicam clip
copy/paste multiple keyframes
custom project resolutions
retime/replace improvements
Stabilization/optical flow improvements
audio handles
J/L cut improvements
completely hide browser
FCPX doesn't hold any and every mounted drive hostage
etc.

And lets not forget that we will be getting another update in 2-3 months.

I'm sure not complaining.

Return to posts index

Gary Slickman
on Dec 21, 2013 at 1:51:52 pm

The launch speed and significant performance increase alone makes this a valuable update. Running it on a circa 2009 MBP 2.66 Core 2 Duo 8 GB RAM and VERY happy.

Return to posts index

andrew burke
on Dec 22, 2013 at 1:29:11 am

Yeah, happy so far.
10.0.0 was a good (new) direction.
10.0.9 really had most of what we wanted for everyday use.
10.1 looks and feels nice so far. We're moving from desktop RAIDs to shared storage soon, so that'll be the real test.

Final Cut Pro X's key feature for us has and still is "speed while editing". We routinely shave off 1/3 or more time from our editing vs. FCP7/PPro. If you charge by the hour for editing, you may be bummed. For meeting crushing deadlines it's awesome.

Happy editing,
AB

I'm here because I'm not all there.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Dec 22, 2013 at 4:00:56 pm

As long as it keeps moving forward, I'm happy. We're shooting a lot of 4K so performance is my number 1 criteria and 10.1 is definitely a big improvement

Still doing some work on Premiere CC though, just to hedge my bets though!

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Lillian Young
on Jan 4, 2014 at 5:00:45 pm

So far, I am.

I've been bored with editing lately, and this breathed life back into the craft for me.

I prefer 3D and motion graphics, and while the FCP X plugins are canned, they are fast and have their place. Sometimes people with low budgets want cool stuff, and instead of turning them down because it'll mean having to use my AE/Maya/C4D skills for pennies, I can welcome it, use the canned stuff in X and make a side buck.

As long as I still have FCP 7, I'm good. It doesn't hurt to have options and I am loving FCP X overall.

I can't lie and say it's not a little off-putting that amateurs and non editors use the same software as pros now by using X, BUT the entire industry is changing across all multimedia disciplines.

We now can use $4k composting applications at home that movie studios use due to 'access' to the tools, lessons, etc. We pros just have to stand out via our skillset. It's like pro photographers must have felt when everyone became 'photographers' due to advancements in affordable cameras. I know so many point-n-shoot non-photographers with $2K+ DSLRs now.

And an advantage is being able to have a client work with you in the same application that's not too daunting. The pros will know the shortcuts and work faster. We will know not to use every filter known to man. Our work will still stand out. It's just that things are changing and I'm cool with it.

My only gripe has to do with 10.1 being for Mavericks users only. Huge slap in the face. Most pros have a ton of other software and don't update our OS systems immediately. But I'm going to try it on my second Mac.

Return to posts index

Lillian Young
on Jan 5, 2014 at 1:59:57 am
Last Edited By Lillian Young on Jan 5, 2014 at 3:06:44 am

Delete

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 6, 2014 at 5:09:26 pm

[Lillian Young] "I can't lie and say it's not a little off-putting that amateurs and non editors use the same software as pros now by using X, BUT the entire industry is changing across all multimedia disciplines. "

But you see, this is a reason that FCP Legend became so popular in the first place over the last decade. The industry has already changed a lot.

DPs, Directors, Producers, all non craft editors could not only afford FCS, but they were able to use it.

I am not talking about doing a complete edit and finish but many people from all facets of the production they were able to use it on a cursory enough level to either assemble rough cuts, prepare and do a first pass organization of footage to hand off to an editor, edit their demo reels, capture footage on set or in a studio, whatever.

So, it was a very general purpose tool that also was expandable to higher end work via XML, which in a way, is kind of Apple's ethos.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jan 6, 2014 at 6:22:30 pm
Last Edited By Tim Wilson on Jan 6, 2014 at 6:28:04 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "[Lillian Young] "I can't lie and say it's not a little off-putting that amateurs and non editors use the same software as pros now by using X, BUT the entire industry is changing across all multimedia disciplines. "

But you see, this is a reason that FCP Legend became so popular in the first place over the last decade. The industry has already changed a lot."

Going back a little further, Jeremy, I know you were around to remember people saying that broadcast-quality output from a Media 100 for "only" "as little as" $7500 for the bare card, and the complete NLE, CG (remember when titling was a separate, expensive module, if not a separate product?) and almost-real-time effects for "only" $50,000 in today's dollars was going to bring the industry crashing to the ground.

Even the words "broadcast quality" were the LAST words that any broadcaster wanted to hear. To them, it sounded like the hoofbeats of the horsemen of the Apocalypse...which is of course exactly what they were. :-)

More than NLEs though, I think it was the Sony UVW-1800 BetaSP deck, which allowed "anyone" to create a final deliverable for a TV station, for the "low, low" price of $15,000 in today's dollars. It changed EVERYTHING, because "everyone" could afford one....despite people with broadcast decks that cost ten times as much saying that this cheap crap like this had no place in professional production.

Heck, in Sony's own parlance, the "U" in UVW stood for "Universal." I don't think even THEY anticipated how easily it replaced their own BVW ("B" for "Broadcast") gear in so many parts of the world.

And After Effects? Fuggedaboutit. No such thing as professional motion graphics for $3500. (Again, in today's dollars.) INSANITY. Can't be done. Nobody with any self-respect would try to pawn themselves off as professionals with nonsense like this. After Effects is a toy, a joke.

Or not. LOL

And no kidding, this really did change everything. A massive part of the industry was built on individuals outputting After Effects via Media 100 to a UVW-1800 deck, and another built on UVW BetaSP gear and the Media 100 NLE. It wasn't until then that the final piece of the inevitability was in place: "anyone" could afford "everything" they needed for crystal-clear, laser-sharp output with, in some cases, capabilities that simply didn't exist in the more expensive "professionals only" products.

Obviously not entirely true, but close enough to true that the door hadn't just been opened. The walls had fallen.

So, the numbers change, but, except at the upper end of the upper end of the market, the apocalyptic hoofbeats keep coming.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 6, 2014 at 6:24:34 pm

Quite true, Tim.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jan 6, 2014 at 6:45:59 pm

[Tim Wilson] "More than NLEs though, I think it was the Sony UVW-1800 BetaSP deck, which allowed "anyone" to create a final deliverable for a TV station, for the "low, low" price of $15,000 in today's dollars. It changed EVERYTHING, because "everyone" could afford one"

It was the game changer for me, the first time I could deliver finished shows for broadcast without having to go to a facility. I still have mine sitting in my edit bay, all patched in but never used anymore. Love the little bugger.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]