FORUMS: list search recent posts

Firewire - Tape Based Cameras

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glenn Grant
Firewire - Tape Based Cameras
on Dec 20, 2013 at 2:35:25 pm

Is this something that has been around for awhile and I missed it or is this new:

From the White Paper:
Importing from FireWire Cameras and Decks
Device control for FireWire capture in Final Cut Pro X is similar to Capture Now in Final Cut Pro 7. You can control the camera or deck and queue the tape to the point where you want to start capturing, and then begin the import. New clips are created at timecode breaks, just as in Final Cut Pro 7.

I usually don't use tape based media, but when I do I use FCP7 on a separate boot drive to capture. With the new option of having the original media stored anywhere I may never go back to 7 again.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Firewire - Tape Based Cameras
on Dec 20, 2013 at 5:10:59 pm

Yes, you could always import fw based tape media. Like DVCam, DV, DVCPro, HDV, etc. Not sure if something changed with the interface or not because I don't use it.

Return to posts index

Glenn Grant
on Dec 20, 2013 at 5:58:56 pm

Thanks Bret. I only need to do this a few times a year, and it's getting less frequent. For some reason I thought you couldn't do it.

Return to posts index

Gerry Fraiberg
on Dec 21, 2013 at 3:32:01 am

I work with HDV tape (Sony Z5U), and have been importing to FCP X since day one. I create a Camera Archive on a third 2TB internal drive in my early 2009 Mac Pro. This gives me a backup of the tape. Skimming through the archive in the Import window is quick, and you can set I&O and multiple ranges prior to bringing your footage into FCP X.

Return to posts index

Tom DeAngelis
on Jan 24, 2014 at 4:18:38 pm

Hi Gary,
You seem to be one of the few of us left who still shoot and capture at times on tape. I , too, am shooting the Z5u and have been working with FCPX since it was released. I've had no issues with capture until the recent upgrade to 10.1
Since the 10.1 upgrade I have lost all search control of my tape decks: a Sony HVR M25U for HDV and a DsR-40 for SD DvCam. The "j" and "L" keys no longer control the decks and the search controls on the import screen are "grayed out".
I purchased new generation Bella keyboards and connected Apple's own keyboard; all to no avail.
Support at Bella has suggested that Apple changed the shortcuts in updating to 10.1. I hoped 10.1.1 would address this problem but it has not. Have you experienced this and if so, have you discovered a fix for it?

Return to posts index

Gerry Fraiberg
on Jan 24, 2014 at 5:39:55 pm

Tom - Apple has just released ProApps QuickTime Codecs Version 1.0.4 - maybe that will be the fix for you. I haven't ingested any HDV video since upgrading to FCP X 10.1, but I will run a test.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1396

Return to posts index

Tom DeAngelis
on Jan 24, 2014 at 6:03:38 pm

Thanks for the tip, Gary. I'll give it a try and let you know. In the meantime, let me know if you are experiencing the same issues with ingesting from your tape decks. I did try ingesting with FCP7 and the keys work just fine which leads me further to believe that this is part of the 10.1 upgrade problem.

Return to posts index

Gerry Fraiberg
on Jan 24, 2014 at 8:39:10 pm

I just ran a test with my Sony HVR-Z5U, and JKL keys are working fine in the Import window.

I'm on an early 2009 Mac Pro running OS 10.9.1, FCP X 10.1.1. I also did the ProApps QuickTime Codecs update to Version 1.0.4. Interestingly enough, the Z5U is connected by Firewire. So is a LaCie external drive, which I just moved from another machine. When I first ran the test, whenever I hit the "L" key, the Import window would drop from the Camera to the LaCie drive in the drive list on the left below the Camera. The J, K and Spacebar kept working. But when I ejected the LaCie drive, the transport control worked as it should.

Return to posts index

Tom DeAngelis
on Jan 24, 2014 at 8:59:14 pm

Very curious. I'm running exactly the same OS and FCPX versions: also with an early 2009 MAC...and also with a 2011 27" iMAC. On each system I use a LaCie for my Time Machine backups. And as you've seen with your system, each of my machines drop to the LaCie in the capture window as soon as I hit the L or J keys. Before I go ahead and download the Pro Apps Quicktime Codecs, I'm going to eject the LaCie drives and see if that ends up being the fix. That will take that 1 step out of the equation and more definitively isolate the LaCie. Very strange. I'll let you know what I find out.

Return to posts index

Gerry Fraiberg
on Jan 24, 2014 at 9:34:45 pm

I wonder if you could rename the LaCie?

Return to posts index

Tom DeAngelis
on Jan 24, 2014 at 9:52:07 pm

It gets even more interesting... or confusing. I ejected the LaCie on the iMAC system that is attached to the DSR 40 Dvcam deck. Like yours, it all worked fine. Terrific
Ejected the LaCie from the TOWER attached to the HVR-M25u: nothing doing. It now dropped down to an external Western Digital that's on the chain.
I ejected that WD, and the keys will seek but not show an image. The search controls on the capture screen are still grayed out.
I swapped out a new firewire cable. Nothing I swapped the 25u as a source for a Sony V1u that I also shoot with: Nothing.
And I did download the ProApps Codecs so that wasn't the problem.
A few other things to try, but everything did work just fine before the upgrade so I'm getting suspicious about there being a bug that Apple may need to address.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]