FORUMS: list search recent posts

Couldn't they have automated the projects/events to libraries process?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Hurtibise
Couldn't they have automated the projects/events to libraries process?
on Dec 20, 2013 at 2:31:28 pm

I'm avoiding upgrading because I don't have a day to spend manually setting up the projects and events conversion to individual libraries, then re-linking the unconnected event files. Why couldn't we have been given the option for automatic creation of a library for each project and it's associated events rather than the just one default library with everything dumped in together? I have a huge project comprised of 20 projects and dozens of events spread across two external drives. I'm scared to death of the tedium that awaits

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
Re: Couldn't they have automated the projects/events to libraries process?
on Dec 20, 2013 at 3:09:14 pm

I think there's WAY to many ways for this to go horribly wrong as automation. Especially with lots of project/event crossover.

Return to posts index

Glenn Grant
on Dec 20, 2013 at 3:28:14 pm

It seems to me that this is a good way of clean up and organizing material. I wouldn't upgrade in the middle of a project anyway. Unless there is some new feature (Or new MacPro) that you just have to have.

I have a few clients that I have ongoing projects, I will update there stuff to a new library and I think the little bit of extra work to update seems well worth it in the long run.

If all your files are online and you only have the events and projects your want combined available, then the process is automatic.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 20, 2013 at 4:49:42 pm

[Ron Hurtibise] "I have a huge project comprised of 20 projects and dozens of events spread across two external drives. I'm scared to death of the tedium that awaits"

You can just make sure your external drives are mounted and choose Update All. It'll make one Library for each Drive, containing the existing Events on the drive, and any projects associated with those Events. You can organize stuff, (If you even need to) after the fact.

Make sure you have good, *working* backups of everything, including a zipped copy of your urgent FCP X 10.0.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Dec 20, 2013 at 4:59:49 pm

Hi Ron,

Ripple Training have a set of three free instructional videos about the switchover. I watched these before I downloaded 10.1

http://www.rippletraining.com/fcpx-features.html

I also followed the advice of Philip Hodgetts - he is even supplying free software to assist people!

http://www.philiphodgetts.com/2013/12/upgrade-your-events-and-project-to-fc...

So It's really not a hassle - you can transfer Events / Projects on a need to basis rather than getting swamped with everything you've ever produced.

Whilst being initially a bit nervous - it all went very smoothly - and that's when the fun starts.

And Alex4d has generously posted a really useful list of FCPX resources

http://alex4d.com/notes

Good luck

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 20, 2013 at 5:14:33 pm

But that's not what you want. If you have multiple events and projects open, then it's going to lop them all into one big library. To open any project, you'll be forced to mount the whole library with all the events and projects within. This completely defeats the purpose of the library.

Apple really should have been more clear. But beyond telling everyone to muck about in the finder or get event manager and admit their own system of managing media was a mess, how could they?

Check out Mark's link above.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 20, 2013 at 5:52:49 pm

[Bret Williams] " then it's going to lop them all into one big library. To open any project, you'll be forced to mount the whole library with all the events and projects within. This completely defeats the purpose of the library."

Yes and no. It makes one big library for each mounted drive, The projects associated with the events on drive A will move to Library A etc. If a Project references media across multiple drives, it will figure that out and copy/move/link to that media. Once it's all updated you can re-organize as you see fit.

If you had Drive A,B, and C mounted you'll end up with Library A,B and C.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 20, 2013 at 10:37:48 pm

Yes, but why on earth would you want libraries based on the events / projects stored on particular drives? Unless just by chance you organized a clients project(s) - not to be confused with sequence projects, by drive. Personally I have a 8tb raid with current projects, and a slower drive for archives.

There's no need to do anything to the archived projects. And it was pretty simple to mount the 3 current projects individually with their corresponding events, and create 3 libraries. Then I was able to put the library into a project folderalong with all the other assets like scripts, psds, AE files, music, camera originals, etc.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 20, 2013 at 5:16:36 pm

There's no way for it to do it automated, unless somehow it knew what projects and events should be lopped together in what library automagically. It could perhaps bring up a screen asking you, which would have been nice, and create multiple libraries from the resulting query. But that wouldn't exactly be automated.

Return to posts index

Ron Hurtibise
on Dec 20, 2013 at 5:29:01 pm

Thanks for the responses. No, I don't want to lop everything in one big library. And Bret, you're right when you say there's no true automated process. What I think would have been nicer would have been a simple option to have FCPX 10.1 create a new library with all connected events for each project in a mounted drive. Some events might be copied into more than one project library, but so what? Using Event Manager X to organize which projects and events are moved into new libraries still requires me to have a prior listing of which events are tied to each project. It doesn't appear that Event Manager X detects which events are tied to each project, or am I missing something?

Return to posts index

Ron Hurtibise
on Dec 20, 2013 at 5:36:19 pm

Why would knowing which events are associated with which project have to be automagical? In 10.0.9, you click on the project in the project library and the properties box lists the events tied to that project. Is this still true in 10.1 when all projects and events are lumped into one big library?

Return to posts index

Ron Hurtibise
on Dec 20, 2013 at 7:08:50 pm

OK guys, I watched the first three videos in the Ripple Training package, plus the Working with Libraries video. And I'm still not wrapping my head around it. (I never worked extensively in Legacy, so I'm not familiar with Bins). In 10.1, I get that we're creating Libraries, ostensibly to serve as holding containers for all elements associated with what we used to call Projects. And we can move those Libraries across drives or store them on network drives to enable shared access. Within those Libraries are Events. Events are created to store distinctive types of clips (Interview A, Interview B, B-roll, Exteriors, Music, Animations, Photos, etc.). Why, then, is it recommended that we locate Projects (or timelines) inside individual Events when Projects typically consist of clips from all of the Events? Why would I want to go into Event folders to access my Projects/Timelines? Shouldn't Projects be renamed Timelines and placed in a Timeline folder inside a Library, separate from the Events? And shouldn't Libraries have been called Projects, so that within each "Project" (Library) folder, we would have Timelines and Events?

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Dec 20, 2013 at 9:56:34 pm

[Ron Hurtibise] "OK guys, I watched the first three videos in the Ripple Training package, plus the Working with Libraries video. And I'm still not wrapping my head around it. (I never worked extensively in Legacy, so I'm not familiar with Bins). In 10.1, I get that we're creating Libraries, ostensibly to serve as holding containers for all elements associated with what we used to call Projects. And we can move those Libraries across drives or store them on network drives to enable shared access. Within those Libraries are Events. Events are created to store distinctive types of clips (Interview A, Interview B, B-roll, Exteriors, Music, Animations, Photos, etc.). Why, then, is it recommended that we locate Projects (or timelines) inside individual Events when Projects typically consist of clips from all of the Events? Why would I want to go into Event folders to access my Projects/Timelines? Shouldn't Projects be renamed Timelines and placed in a Timeline folder inside a Library, separate from the Events? And shouldn't Libraries have been called Projects, so that within each "Project" (Library) folder, we would have Timelines and Events?"

It's not as rigid as this. It's not "one library per project (actual project, not FCP X sequence), it's one library per collection of related footage and sequences, which may or may not belong to a single (actual) project — maybe you often share media across (actual) projects, in which case you'd probably want to put all of that media and all of the related sequences into a single library. This is part of why you might want to put sequences into events — if sequence belong to different (actual) projects you wouldn't just want them all grouped at the top level of the library; it's useful to have an additional level in the hierarchy there. Of course, you could always manually create a 'Projects' event in each library and put all of the projects it contains there — that's what the automatic upgrading does (since it has no way of knowing, really, what else to do).

Basically, FCP X really doesn't have a level in its organizational hierarchy that strictly maps to an (actual) project. It's more flexible than that.

Which means, actually, they should just rename 'projects' to 'sequences' at this point. The fact that I have to keep putting 'actual' in front of 'project' in this post demonstrates that the current naming is awkward. It also seems to that now that sequences ('projects') live in events, compound clips could be converted into sequences and nested sequence support could be added in some future version, which would also simplify things somewhat.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Dec 20, 2013 at 9:21:26 pm

[Ron Hurtibise] "Why would knowing which events are associated with which project have to be automagical? In 10.0.9, you click on the project in the project library and the properties box lists the events tied to that project. Is this still true in 10.1 when all projects and events are lumped into one big library?"

Projects had a 'default event' but they could include clips from other events. FCP X would know this too (it obviously had to keep track of where clips were located), but it still wouldn't necessarily know how you wanted things grouped. Basically, libraries are introducing a new conception level of organization, and computers still aren't very good at 'concepts'....

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]