FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upgraded to Libraries but now I have no projects in my Events!!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Hudgins
Upgraded to Libraries but now I have no projects in my Events!!
on Dec 19, 2013 at 11:15:03 pm

I'm probably missing something simple but I took the option to convert to Libraries and all seemed to go fine. However, when I look in my Events, I see my clips but I don't have any Project to click and open in the timeline.

What am I missing (besides all my projects...)?

Thanks,

Tom

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: Upgraded to Libraries but now I have no projects in my Events!!
on Dec 19, 2013 at 11:28:16 pm

[Tom Hudgins] "What am I missing (besides all my projects...)?
"

If you didn't have an "updated projects" event in your library, it probably means that your 10.0 Projects were not online when you updated. Did you update from your internal drive (P's and E's in your Movies Folder, or from a mounted drive?

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Tom Hudgins
on Dec 19, 2013 at 11:39:20 pm

Okay, I think I see what might have happened and I hope someone can help me straighten this out.

Awhile back, I had an external HD crash and I had to do some restores from backup and I think I may have messed things up then. Before the 10.1 upgrade, I had a Final Cut Projects folder on both my boot disk/home disk and my external drive. I *think* my project definitions were in the folder on the boot disk and the actual clips and events were on the external drive. I know I had to relink media to the projects to get things hooked up after the restore.

When I just did the 10.1 Library upgrade, it moved my old Final Cut Projects folders into the Trash and I can see that my boot disk folder (in the trash) has the project file while the external disk FCP folder (in the trash) does not.

I think I somehow need to re-link the project file with the events but I'm not sure how to do that.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 19, 2013 at 11:55:41 pm

[Tom Hudgins] "I think I somehow need to re-link the project file with the events but I'm not sure how to do that.

Anyone have a suggestion?"

First suggestion... DON"T EMPTY THE TRASH! :-) take that stuff out, and put it in a folder somewhere safe. Next, you say there are no projects in your Library? You're sure right? Is all your media in the library? Not offline, but playable and actually good?

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Dec 20, 2013 at 12:31:29 am
Last Edited By Darren Roark on Dec 20, 2013 at 12:37:50 am

When I first launched 10.1 I didn't convert the projects and events. Then when I had backed them all up and relaunched FCPX, it didn't give me the option again. EDIT. I just found out how to manually do it by going to File, then update projects and events.

I had to do this twice to get the projects converted for some reason.

As a safety, I would at the very least make zip files of all the fcpevent/project files. FCP X also gives the option to save them, which I did.

Return to posts index

Tom Hudgins
on Dec 20, 2013 at 12:39:49 am

What's that? Empty the Trash to free up some disk space? Ok. :-)

Okay, I'm an idiot. I found my projects...

I guess it made two Libraries and I was thinking it was only one. In my "Maverick's" (boot disk) library, there is an Event called Updated Projects. It has a disclosure triangle next to it and I had clicked that and had only seen what I guess are the keywords - I hadn't actually clicked the Updated Projects Event itself. Once I did that, I can see my projects and *all* their clips in the browser. I have no excuse for why I didn't comprehend this initially.

It still seems like I'm kind of messed up because all my projects and their events are in that Updated Projects Event and I'd rather have them organized so that clips are with the project. For example,

In Libraries, I have an "External HD" library and my Mavericks's Library. In the External HD Library, I have an Event called St. Martin Trip. It has all the clips but no project (the cause of my initial post).

In the Mavericks Library, there is the Updated Projects Event which has all my projects and all of my clips (they must be just links to the actual clips in the other Library I suppose).

I'd like to get this organized so that I have separate Events for my projects instead of all together. Can I just drag say, the St. Martin project from the Mavericks Updated Projects Event over to the St. Martin Event in the External HD Library?

Thanks for helping me out of my self-inflicted jam.

Tom

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 20, 2013 at 12:44:17 am

[Tom Hudgins] "I'd like to get this organized so that I have separate Events for my projects instead of all together. Can I just drag say, the St. Martin project from the Mavericks Updated Projects Event over to the St. Martin Event in the External HD Library?"

Yep, easy as that. :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]