FORUMS: list search recent posts

What in the name of Jupiter?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
What in the name of Jupiter?
on Dec 19, 2013 at 8:42:52 pm

Was thinking this would be a paid update and that it would be a better product since its botched release, proven wrong on both points. Was really happy with the things are going but now time to learn media management all over again. Was hoping that some much needed features would be added in and the interface would be refined further. Again, very disappointed. Really not going to complain too much, after all it is a free update. Funny how they say it would be a new version when really it is a just another update. Maybe the next update will address some of our needs and concerns. Until then I am staying at the version I am currently on, not going to upgrade. Wait, should that be downgrade instead?

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
Re: What in the name of Jupiter?
on Dec 19, 2013 at 9:03:39 pm

I'm staying too. Unless, getting a new computer requires me to update or there really is a significant speed advantage. The process of transitioning to the new file system is going to be very painful for me.

My one hope is that the library structure was necessary for future sharing capabilities. In that the structure may keep all the different versions users are working on concurrently contained. But my hopes have been dashed before.

Return to posts index

Scott Williams
on Dec 19, 2013 at 9:09:54 pm

I assume the point of the release was to maximize speed and performance, particularly with the dual fire pros in the mac pro, rather than feature upgrades.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Dec 19, 2013 at 9:46:45 pm

I think Scott has it right.

I believe that when Phil mentioned there will be a new version of FCPX at the end of the Mac Pro Sneak Peek, he described it as "to take advantage of the new Mac Pro and Dual GPUs" or something to that effect. Not the new version of FCPX "will be full of new features and fulfill just about every item on everyone's wish list".

So, IIRC, It was not introduced as a major feature update. Rather a performance update. Apple trickles out new stuff, just a little bit at a time. We should be getting used to it by now.

I'm happy.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 19, 2013 at 10:02:07 pm

I was expecting multiple scopes visible to take advantage of the new GPUs.
Not there.
I still can't have Vector, Waveform, RGB Parade open at the same time.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 19, 2013 at 10:17:21 pm

[Craig Seeman] "I was expecting multiple scopes visible to take advantage of the new GPUs.
Not there.
I still can't have Vector, Waveform, RGB Parade open at the same time."

Well, you can always pop for the $100 ScopeBox package...

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 19, 2013 at 11:49:04 pm

[Brett Sherman] "The process of transitioning to the new file system is going to be very painful for me."

I've heard this concern a lot today. I'm not sure people understand how utterly painless this transition is. There was a shitload of work done to X to enable it to work with Libraries, among other things. The bottom line though, is that 10.1 just converts your Drives with project and Event pairs, to Libraries. At the same time, it converts any associated projects on these drives into projects in the library. Essentially your old Project Library, and all it's folder organization or whatever becomes an Event. No media gets duplicated. If you do have Original Media in your Event it will move it to the Library, but the Library gets created in the same location as the original so it's a wash. Like moving stuff from one folder to another on the same drive. If you use shared(linked) media nothing moves at all.

You do have more options after the fact, but the updating process is simple. Just make sure everything you want to update is online. I'll keep flogging this post of mine, only because i think it explains what happens when you update pretty well. I've updated dozens of Events and literally hundreds of projects. The worst that happened was needing to do some relinking.

I'm not selling training or software or ads or anything, I've nothing to gain from posting it. Just trying to explain the process from the point of view of someone who's done it in a real world, uncontrolled way. Easy :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Dec 20, 2013 at 3:41:23 am

[Charlie Austin] "You do have more options after the fact, but the updating process is simple. Just make sure everything you want to update is online. I'll keep flogging this post of mine, only because i think it explains what happens when you update pretty well. I've updated dozens of Events and literally hundreds of projects. The worst that happened was needing to do some relinking. "

I agree, but that process took the better part of the day, and every single project still needs some manual re-linking of files. Guess I'll spend tomorrow going sideways. Oh well...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Dec 20, 2013 at 2:34:05 pm
Last Edited By Brett Sherman on Dec 20, 2013 at 2:36:58 pm

[Charlie Austin] ". I'm not sure people understand how utterly painless this transition is."

Hmm. I don't think you quite understand how I'm working. In a typical post facility you work on one project for a finite amount of time with all footage for that project contained in one location. And they rarely have to access that project again years in the future.

I'm an institutional video producer. This means I have multiple drives full of material, probably 200 or so events that I continually use for years. These events are used in any of the 100 or so projects I have. So projects have media that are pulled from up to 10 drives. One event may be used in 10 or so different projects. So I can't update one project at a time. I'd have to open about 250 sparse bundles (Does OS X even let you open that many logical drives?) and let FCP X churn away for a couple days and hope it doesn't crash and does everything correctly. Not to mention it's probably going to double the amount of hard disk space required. That's just not going to work.

The ONLY way forward I see is to convert all my managed media to external media BEFORE I upgrade to the new version of FCP X. Which I haven't exactly figured out how to do yet. Like I said this is going to be enormously complicated and time consuming. If someone can tell me a better way I'm open to it - but I'm not seeing another way forward.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 20, 2013 at 4:40:54 pm

[Brett Sherman] "I'm an institutional video producer. This means I have multiple drives full of material, probably 200 or so events that I continually use for years. These events are used in any of the 100 or so projects I have. So projects have media that are pulled from up to 10 drives. One event may be used in 10 or so different projects. "

So, how do you organize things in 10.0.9? You're not opening 250 drives for every Project right? And obviously you know what projects relate to what drive(s). How do you organize Events and Projects (in the Finder) with 10.0.x?

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Dec 21, 2013 at 6:44:46 pm
Last Edited By Brett Sherman on Dec 21, 2013 at 6:46:47 pm

I store things in sparse bundles. For the main project, I create a folder called "bundles to launch" then put shortcuts in that for all the bundles I need to launch for that project. Opening the folder automatically launches the bundles and all events I need for the given project. So I might use 10 bundles for a project. But there is so much overlap, I might use bundle A & B in project C, where project D uses bundle A and X, but not B, and project E uses bundle B and Y but not bundle A. So I can't update project C without also updating project D & E at the same time. Now multiply that scenario times 50 and you see the dilemma I'm facing.

The problem is that I can't update project by project since that will modify the event for one project but not the others.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]