FORUMS: list search recent posts

Proxy on a external drive

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glenn Grant
Proxy on a external drive
on Dec 19, 2013 at 7:16:37 pm

With the new library structure and better media management is it possible to have original media stored on a high speed raid and the library with proxy media on a portable drive? That way you could take the portable drive on the road, edit on a laptop and come back to the main computer with the Raid and go back to original/optimized media.

I guess the simple question is can you store proxy media in a different location from original/optimized medial? Up until now, when ever I ingest footage from a P2 card it copies the media to the Event folder.

From everything I have read so far this seems possible, but can someone confirm, or is there a better work flow with 10.1?

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
Re: Proxy on a external drive
on Dec 19, 2013 at 7:46:45 pm

Yes and no...

You could have always had your high quality media somewhere else with the caveat that proxy media was always inside your Event. I don't think that has changed.

To give you an example: I did a project in June where We had all the media external and the 'Original Media' folder only contained sim links (aliases) to the 'real' high quality media. This was all on our video server (Mac Mini with Pegasus raid).

I copied the Event and Project to the internal drive of the MacBook Pro.
Because the Event only contained sim links this went very quickly and while still connected to the video server I let FCPX make proxy media. That now lived on my MBP internal disk.

I went with only the MBP to edit in Italy with a client. Editing in proxy mode.
Came back home, connected back to the original media and boom. This has always been possible.

What HAS changed in 10.1 is that when you import from a card (your P2 example) you can now put it in An External folder and work with simlinks immediately from the import window instead of first importing that media in a external program and afterwards importing it in FCPX.

Return to posts index

Glenn Grant
Re: Proxy on a external drive
on Dec 19, 2013 at 9:43:22 pm

Thanks Mathieu.

That does solve the problem of using FCP7 to capture to avoid having original and optimized media in the event folder.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]