FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor 4.1

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geoff Addis
Compressor 4.1
on Dec 19, 2013 at 3:27:06 pm

Is anyone else having problems with Compressor 4.1?

Opening the program results in either a 'Compressor quit unexpectedly' message or just the Compressor 'ribbon' at the top of the screen with no ability to enter files etc. etc.

I have downloaded it several times, always the same problem. I've rolled back to 4.0.7 using Time Machine (4.07 still works) then downloaded 4.1 with the same results. Trashed Preference too, again no joy!

Any ideas?

Geoff

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
Re: Compressor 4.1
on Dec 19, 2013 at 3:29:15 pm

Working for me in early testing, but I did manage to get it to lock up once when trying to use it as a local "cluster".

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

David Brewer
on Dec 19, 2013 at 8:52:52 pm

4.1 is missing the Qmaster. I took a look at the packages for 4.1 and 4.0.7... 4.1 is missing the Qmaster and 4.0.7 has the Qmaster. In 4.7 you can't change the number of instances.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Dec 19, 2013 at 9:12:39 pm

Compressor 4.1 spawns a qmasterd process on my system and it still seems to do things when jobs are submitted. Encoding itself is handled by compressord instances in my observations.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

David Brewer
on Dec 19, 2013 at 9:18:32 pm

Well you got a beta version to work with... In the Apple Compressor forum other are having the same problem with the Qmaster. Take a look at your Compressor packages and see if you have the Qmaster there, I think it is in content.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Dec 19, 2013 at 9:53:03 pm

Huh? I'm not on any betas. I'm running the GA Compressor 4.1 that released today.
/Applications/Compressor.app/Contents/PlugIns/Compressor/CompressorKit.bundle/Contents/Frameworks/Qmaster.framework/Resources/qmasterd
The stand-alone Qmaster app is no more, and the Qmaster menu in Compressor is no more, but the daemon still exists and is still part of Compressor in v4.1. The clustering functionality still seems to call upon qmasterd.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Dec 19, 2013 at 9:06:29 pm

Having trouble here too. Same thing, either crash while opening or just the Compressor file bar with no window.

Logging in as a guest user gets around the problem.

Being the testing partition on my secondary system, I'm not all that surprised. Will do a clean OS install tonight and report back with results.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 19, 2013 at 9:12:09 pm

Compressor with no window. Try trashing
~/Library/Application Support/Compressor/Layouts

For good measure I also trashed:
Command Sets
History
Settings
Storage

I believe I had same problem Yes it was fine in Guest User for me as well. Just not in my primary Admin Account.

Crashing. I looked at the crash thread and it looked like some plugin related thing. I deleted Matrox utilities (I have MXO2 which I hadn't updated since updating OS to Mavericks and that fixed my crash.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Dec 19, 2013 at 9:22:27 pm

Thanks Craig,

I also had Matrox MXO2 utilities from before Mavericks and after the first crash, that was the first thing I did. Removing it stopped the crashing, leaving me at the blank Compressor without any UI.

I'll trash those files.

Looking forward to info about the new hardware h.264 encoding and comparing it to Matrox MAX.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Dec 20, 2013 at 1:40:44 pm

I skipped trashing the files and did a clean install. Compressor opens up normally. No surprise there.

Now to test my workflow and hopefully get my main system updated. BruceX benchmark saw about 20% improvement from mtn Lion and FCPX 10.0.9 to Mavericks and FCPX 10.1 on this MBP (exporting Prores not h.264). Impressive.

Return to posts index

Richard Walters
on Dec 22, 2013 at 2:07:18 am

Same problem here with Matrox compressHD ver 4 I literally had to remove all instances of Compressor, the App, the Preferences the Compressor folder in Applications Support then reboot and reinstall to get it to work. Runs fine now, but Matrox says they are working on a version 4.1 for Mavericks but their Mountain Lion version is incompatible with OS 10.9

Return to posts index

Loren Small
on Dec 30, 2013 at 6:51:21 pm

I believe I have a work around that is allowing me to use both Compressor 4.1 and the Matrox compressHD card.

I went and deleted all of the preference files and move all of the Application Support files to my desktop for safe keeping, and deleted and reinstalled 4.1 so it was as clean of an install as I could make it. Then, rather than trying to install the old Matrox presets, I created a new custom preset in Compressor. In the Video -> Quicktime settings section, I chose Matrox MAX h.264 as my codec.

Voila! My new preset is now working like a champ using the Matrox compressor. I've encoded several files, testing with and without, and it is definitely working! Encodes are taking place in ~real-time, as they were before the upgrade.

It is annoying that all the old presets don't work, but at least this is a bit of a work around that seems to be solid until Matrox updates their product.

Return to posts index

Geoff Addis
on Dec 20, 2013 at 8:21:43 am

Craige, thanks for your suggestion, but I cannot see ~/Library/Application Support/Compressor/Layouts, so is it correct to assume this file has already been thrashed?

Where are these files?

Thanks in advance,

Geoff

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Dec 20, 2013 at 10:54:10 am

Geoff, you are aware that the user's Library directory is invisible, right? Starting with Lion, Apple in its infinite wisdom decided to hide that folder from you for absolutely no reason because it's the one system folder one needs to get to to fix things up all the time.
So... when in the Finder hit alt and go to your "Go" menu. You will find your Library folder in that menu with that magic button pressed.

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index

Geoff Addis
on Dec 20, 2013 at 11:27:39 am

Thanks Frank, that did it!

Geoff

Return to posts index

Tobias Heilmann-Schuricht
on Dec 23, 2013 at 1:12:11 pm

I am having the same, serious issues.

I have troubleshot the whole system up and down. I went as far as doing a complete disk whipe and starting with a clean Mavericks install. After that I did nothing but download compressor 4.1 from the App store and sure enough the whole system freezes up when I launch Compressor.

I am running Mavericks 10.9.1 on a 2009 Quad Core MacPro with32GB RAM. Everything is running great, even FCPX 10.1 is running better than the previous versions.

I seems like this is something only Apple can fix....?

In Touch Media GmbH
Germany

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 23, 2013 at 3:33:38 pm

Repair Disk Permissions. Create New Admin account and test there.
That'll confirm whether it's a user or system issue.
I do think that maybe Compressor is having issues creating it's own default directories. Please read my previous post.

Return to posts index

Tobias Heilmann-Schuricht
on Dec 23, 2013 at 9:38:53 pm

I have done both, repaired, removed, created, removed... again, a complete, clean Mavericks install from scratch should do it, you would think?

I am not having any compressor issues on my MacbookPro at all.

When I start compressor on my MacPro I will see the logo and the both displays will flicker black in the bottom third of the screen for a split second. After that either Compressor will remain at the splash screen or the interface will come up, but all distorted...

In Touch Media GmbH
Germany

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 23, 2013 at 9:53:41 pm

[Tobias Heilmann-Schuricht] "gain, a complete, clean Mavericks install from scratch should do it, you would think?"
No. not if the issue isn't OS related and I don't think it is.

[Tobias Heilmann-Schuricht] "After that either Compressor will remain at the splash screen or the interface will come up, but all distorted..."

That sounds like it may be GPU related.
Try pulling one monitors and rebooting.

Return to posts index

Justin Schultz
on Jan 14, 2014 at 8:00:08 pm

hope it's not gosh to post here, but Larry jordan has a good explanation on why older MacPros are having trouble with the new Compressor. Seems it wasn't written for older processors.

http://www.larryjordan.biz/compressor-4-1-a-tip-to-increase-speed/

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 14, 2014 at 9:52:54 pm
Last Edited By Craig Seeman on Jan 14, 2014 at 9:56:45 pm

What he points out is pertinent to new MacPros as well.
Basically i5 and i7 processors use Intel's QuickSync technology that Compressor 4.1 takes advantage of for hardware acceleration. The MacPros, both old and new don't have that as it's not in the Xeon series of chips. That's why he mentions that a recent i7 iMac may actually encode faster than even a new MacPro on single pass encoding.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]