FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which New Mac Pro CPU Configuration for FCPX 10.1?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Patrick
Which New Mac Pro CPU Configuration for FCPX 10.1?
on Dec 19, 2013 at 2:13:01 pm

10.1 is optimized for Dual-GPU for:
Real-time performance (specifically layered effects and 4K streams?)
Background rendering (if you choose/need to do it)
Optical Flow
Effects Previews
Background Exporting

So, I'd probably go with the D700 upgrade, given the $600 cost and the fact that it does not appear that the GPU's are (or are not) user upgradable.

What doesn't seem clear (at least to me) is which CPU configuration would be optimal for this new version? Apple talks about how the 12 core model will make rendering incredible fast. Is that what Apple considers the biggest reason to get 12 cores? Rendering?

6 cores at 3.5 GHz (fastest)
8 cores at 3.0 GHZ (slower, +$1,500)
12 cores at 2.7 GHz (slowest, +$3,500)

Obviously these questions will eventually get answered when people get their hands on these different configurations and run some actual FCPX 10.1 tests.

In the mean time (as I continue to wait to upgrade my old Mac Pro) I was wondering what any of you are thinking.

Kevin

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
Re: Which New Mac Pro CPU Configuration for FCPX 10.1?
on Dec 19, 2013 at 2:21:35 pm

If rendering is your primary gig, then more cores are better, but I'll take a guess and say that the 6 core config will be the fastest option for video editors. 6 cores is already plenty CPU horsepower, with the clock speed ultimately making the most difference in day-to-day editing tasks.

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Dec 19, 2013 at 2:36:25 pm

[Daniel Frome] "If rendering is your primary gig"

Which it's not. (at least for me) I'm just wondering if I'm missing something in the core count decision. At least as it pertains to FCPX. I'm not an AE user, where I believe the number of cores plays a much bigger role.

In my limited understanding of all this, the best configuration (for me) is probably:

6 Cores (always fast)
32 GB RAM (although it appears upgrading from 32 requires replacing all the DIMMS)
512 GB Flash (which I think cannot be upgraded later)
D700

Take the money savings from skipping the rest of the upgrades and perhaps put it in new (replace eSATA) Thunderbolt storage.

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Dec 19, 2013 at 2:49:42 pm

I just checked Apple's site. The above configuration is showing a ship date of February.

It was January when I first looked this morning.

I guess there is still a demand for "pro" level systems.

Who knew.

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Dec 19, 2013 at 3:04:20 pm

[Kevin Patrick] "32 GB RAM (although it appears upgrading from 32 requires replacing all the DIMMS) "

I've been told that generally it's good to have 2GB of RAM per core. With that in mind, if getting 32MB is really out of budget, you will have quite similar performance with 16GB in most cases.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Dec 19, 2013 at 2:38:22 pm

[Daniel Frome] "If rendering is your primary gig, then more cores are better, but I'll take a guess and say that the 6 core config will be the fastest option for video editors. 6 cores is already plenty CPU horsepower, with the clock speed ultimately making the most difference in day-to-day editing tasks."

Obviously, we need to see some numbers on this, but I would be worried that any MacPro configuration in the 4-core arena (and less than the D700) is going to show only marginal improvement (if any) in day-to-day operations over an iMac with the 780M 4GB. If I was purchasing a MacPro at the moment, I'd be opting for the 8-core D700 32GB RAM version at the bare minimum.

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Dec 19, 2013 at 3:11:19 pm

[Gary Huff] " I would be worried that any MacPro configuration in the 4-core arena (and less than the D700) is going to show only marginal improvement (if any) in day-to-day operations over an iMac "

Well in many cases, that's exactly what's going to happen. Editing software isn't flooring the CPU/GPU constantly, and during all those times when cpu/gpu usage is moderate there just isn't going to be a dramatic difference.

The mac pro will save you time when rendering/converting and or previewing effects. The majority of editing tasks are already "instant" in any modern NLE. It's hard to get faster than "real time" as so much already works at.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 19, 2013 at 2:36:48 pm

Buy the biggest GPU coupled with the fastest CPU you can afford as it will last you the longest (potentially).

Ram and ssd can upgraded later, although I'd buy the biggest ssd you can.

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Dec 19, 2013 at 2:39:13 pm

Is the flash storage upgradable? I didn't think it was.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Dec 19, 2013 at 2:46:09 pm
Last Edited By Gary Huff on Dec 19, 2013 at 2:46:12 pm

[Kevin Patrick] "Is the flash storage upgradable? I didn't think it was."

I wouldn't think so. Nor is the GPU from what I can tell, despite the rumors.

But perhaps an iFixIt teardown would give the final word. Damn those guys...nice shiny hardware and they just rip it open like that!

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Dec 19, 2013 at 3:26:42 pm

It potentially is. While OWC have built SSD sticks for the MacBooks that used SATA busses for their storage, what we have not seen yet is a pure PCIe third party SSD upgrade (that would be for the late 2013 MacBooks, though OWC says they are working on it). So for now it is only a potentiality, as that looks like a standard 4-lane PCIe slot on the new Mac Pro to my eyes. It even seems to have room for a wider (and thus higher capacity) module.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
on Dec 19, 2013 at 3:54:55 pm

Apple online store says "Available to ship: February" for everything. I've heard product is in stores, but we don't know which configs are available.

Tricky if you need to make a choice today with limited info.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Dec 19, 2013 at 7:57:56 pm

Keith, normally it is only the base configurations that are in the retail stores. They may be able to change memory but that would be the limit of the upgrading you could do in the retail store.

[Keith Koby] "Apple online store says "Available to ship: February" for everything. I've heard product is in stores, but we don't know which configs are available. "

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 19, 2013 at 4:18:19 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Dec 19, 2013 at 4:30:30 pm

I thought I saw a hand putting in the SSD storage on one of the early MacPro animations.

It is now changed.

I stand by my earlier comment, buy the biggest SSD you can.

;)

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Dec 19, 2013 at 4:27:22 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "
I stand by my earlier comment, but the biggest SSD you can."

Agreed. If you're getting it now, don't take the risk.

I have the 1TB in my new Retina. It's awesome. I don't know if I'd need more than 512GB in the Mac Pro though with the external storage options and the fact that it's not meant to be portable like the laptop is.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 20, 2013 at 5:46:20 pm

SSD Storage is in fact user replaceable if you can find a flash unit that works with the MacPro:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6061?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]