FORUMS: list search recent posts

All I wanted for Xmas ...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Ubsdell
All I wanted for Xmas ...
on Dec 19, 2013 at 2:03:57 pm

... was Gang and a real Replace Edit function.

Sorry to sound a sour note amid all the festive jubilation but was that really too much to ask after all this time????

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Adam White
Re: All I wanted for Xmas ...
on Dec 19, 2013 at 2:07:02 pm

Your right….but at least we have Fit to Fill now.

HAPPY XMAS - WAR IS OVER

Now there will be no more disagreements and everyone can coalesce around the new beloved editing system of choice…

*trying to bring back some festive cheer to proceedings

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Dec 19, 2013 at 2:47:12 pm

[Adam White] "Now there will be no more disagreements and everyone can coalesce around the new beloved editing system of choice…"

This is a very nice update all around, though you'll still have people who find the magnetic timeline is not for them (understandable) or those that don't realize there have been updates since 10.0.0 (inexcusable).

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Dec 19, 2013 at 2:50:36 pm

I love the magnetic timeline, I have seen all the improvements since 10.0 and yes this is a lovely sparkly update covered in festive decorations.

I just want gang sync and a real grown-up replace edit function - without which it's very hard to execute the majority of the work I do. In fact, I'm wrestling with the lack of these two functions right this very minute.

Seasonal goodwill to all, however.

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 19, 2013 at 3:18:37 pm

How about flattened multi cam, or the playhead following when you enter a compound clip, or match frame from a multi cam? Any of those made it? Trimmed project management?

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Dec 19, 2013 at 3:42:34 pm

[Bret Williams] "How about flattened multi cam, or the playhead following when you enter a compound clip, or match frame from a multi cam? Any of those made it? Trimmed project management?"

I know I'm sounding like Scrooge but I didn't mean this to be a thread about all the things that are still "missing" of which there may be many, few or none depending on your workflow and preferences as an editor.

I just wanted to point out that for me the lack of gang sync and replace edit (the real kind) are actually impediments of such magnitude that I find it really hard to migrate my work to X with any confidence, knowing that I will almost always absolutely require these functions in the course of a typical job. (The workarounds that I have to resort to are teeth-achingly painful and slow.)

It's very frustrating that the lack of these extremely uncomplicated low level features is still preventing me from working in X as often as I would otherwise like.

So I get very grumpy when I see others jumping up and down in excitement cos Santa's brought them their favourite new toy.

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Dec 19, 2013 at 3:57:48 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "I just wanted to point out that for me the lack of gang sync and replace edit (the real kind) are actually impediments of such magnitude that I find it really hard to migrate my work to X with any confidence, knowing that I will almost always absolutely require these functions in the course of a typical job. (The workarounds that I have to resort to are teeth-achingly painful and slow.)"

Have you submitted feature requests within the app?

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Dec 19, 2013 at 3:58:59 pm

[Gary Huff] "Have you submitted feature requests within the app?"

Only once every couple of months since the original launch date.

Do you reckon I need to be a bit more persistent?

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Dec 19, 2013 at 4:27:42 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "
Do you reckon I need to be a bit more persistent?"

No, that should be good, just making sure you were aware that you could do such a thing.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 19, 2013 at 4:01:40 pm

I think what you wanted for Xmas should have been really big on the list. The list is still very long for many. Many features still don't exist in Premiere. And they won't until enough switchers "request" them. (A baffling way to innovate.) But as for the features I mentioned, I was simply wondering if they're in there. If not, they're a good addition to your list and this is the perfect forum to start complaining about what's missing. :)

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Dec 19, 2013 at 4:05:16 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Dec 19, 2013 at 4:07:16 pm

[Bret Williams] "But as for the features I mentioned, I was simply wondering if they're in there."

As far as I can tell, they're not.

The new library system is a vast improvement however.

And it's great to see that they didn't migrate the white balance tools from iMovie despite the confident rumours that this would happen. That alone has made my Xmas ;-)

http://hawaiki.co/autograde.html

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Dec 19, 2013 at 5:49:13 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "And it's great to see that they didn't migrate the white balance tools from iMovie despite the confident rumours that this would happen"

Simon - your auto grade App is great but it does require several steps to use it effectively. I was rather taken by the iMovie white balance tool because it's really easy to use and you can make some very quick adjustments.

But i'm not going to lose any sleep over it's absence.

I had hoped for a sophisticated update for the Colour Correction ( uk ) but I'll just settle for stability and no doubt benefit from the new Event structure once I've got used to it.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Dec 19, 2013 at 6:10:25 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Dec 19, 2013 at 8:41:44 pm

[Mark Dobson] "Simon - your auto grade App is great but it does require several steps to use it effectively. I was rather taken by the iMovie white balance tool because it's really easy to use and you can make some very quick adjustments."

Thanks, Mark.

Just to clarify to anyone who hasn't used AutoGrade 2.0, you can make one click corrections using either the Global White Balance picker or the recently added Skin Tone picker which will give you results as good as or better than the iMovie tool (a lot better, I think) with just as few steps.

Of course where AutoGrade is hugely superior is that you can add in black and white point adjustments as well, but more importantly adjust the depth of the correction for each picker (not a mix but a recalculation). It's so powerful I find myself using it even on shots that otherwise seemed perfectly well balanced.

And there's loads more to the plug-in with still more to come in future which make it a pretty awesome grading tool and far more than just a white balancer or skin balancer. Maybe the iMovie one button solution seems more attractive at first sight but it really would have limitations for professional use - if you don't like the one-hit result there's not a lot you can do about it. I'm guessing that if Apple do port it over to X then it will be a bit more adaptable.

Apologies for the plug - I just wanted to clarify the differences.

http://hawaiki.co/autograde.html

STOP PRESS: AutoGrade 2.0 now seems to render even faster under 10.1 making it very quick indeed.

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Dec 19, 2013 at 4:40:52 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "I know I'm sounding like Scrooge but I didn't mean this to be a thread about all the things that are still "missing" of which there may be many, few or none depending on your workflow and preferences as an editor."

Not really. The lack of something simple like the playhead moving along with the timeline is frankly... ahem... embarrassing. How many times do we have to ask for it? Just tell us, so we can get the damned petition going...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 19, 2013 at 4:13:21 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "Sorry to sound a sour note amid all the festive jubilation but was that really too much to ask after all this time????
"

FWIW...(nothing) The code for playhead to playhead Replace is definitely in there now, it's just not enabled yet. There are a lot of "new" features that didn't make it into this release. The bulk of the work (and there was an enormous amount) was under the hood. XML is way way more detailed, There's a real API now etc. I think now they can focus on all the UI stuff, improvements to Roles, etc. I know I'll be bugging the crap out of them. I'll give 'em a day or two to relax first though. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Dec 19, 2013 at 4:15:28 pm

[Charlie Austin] "FWIW...(nothing) The code for playhead to playhead Replace is definitely in there now,"

I can't tell you how good that is to hear! Thanks!!!!!!

And maybe in another year or two we might get gang sync as well ;-)

It really is Xmas after all.

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 19, 2013 at 4:21:30 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "I can't tell you how good that is to hear! Thanks!!!!!!"

I have been harassing them about this since I discovered it. I will continue to do so. It's coming though, hopefully sooner than later...

[Simon Ubsdell] "And maybe in another year or two we might get gang sync as well ;-)"

lol. Well, now that Projects are in the same place as Events, they might actually be able to make it work. I really think the whole Project/Event folder split that existed previous to today prevented them from making a lot of "simple" things work. I hope I'm right...

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Dec 19, 2013 at 4:30:34 pm

[Charlie Austin] "lol. Well, now that Projects are in the same place as Events, they might actually be able to make it work. I really think the whole Project/Event folder split that existed previous to today prevented them from making a lot of "simple" things work. I hope I'm right..."

Indeed. I think it's now very obvious that the Event/Project dual system was lifted wholesale from iMovie rather than exclusively built for FCP X, as used to be claimed. This is a very promising departure from that original very imperfect architecture.

Oh and the other thing - because I'm actually editing in 10.1 right now and it's come up yet again to bite my hand off - is when are we going to get a really robust relink facility???????????????????

Not this year clearly.

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 19, 2013 at 4:40:18 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "Oh and the other thing - because I'm actually editing in 10.1 right now and it's come up yet again to bite my hand off - is when are we going to get a really robust relink facility???????????????????"

Agreed. I hope that now that the guts are sorted out, they can concentrate on all the other loose ends. I know there will be a lot of disappointment because of the lack of new features/implemented old features in this release. I have a lot of things on my "list' as well. I will be continuing to harp on Apple, as they foolishly gave me some direct email addresses. ;-) They are listening though...

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Dec 19, 2013 at 5:15:24 pm

Can I just say though ....

... Snapshots are brilliant, amazing, I love them!!!!

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 19, 2013 at 5:21:36 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "... Snapshots are brilliant, amazing, I love them!!!!"

Yep. from my little 10.1 blog post:

it’s better than a duplicate because… If you have Compound Clips or Multicam Clips in the Project, it makes them self contained. They no longer refer to the original Compound or Multicam clip parent clip – they now only exist in the Snapshot. You can of course still edit them, break ‘em apart, whatever… but doing so will have no effect on any other Compound or Multicam Clips.

:-)

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Dec 19, 2013 at 4:38:20 pm

Flattened multiclips with matchframe to source, favorite effects, gang, and colored overlay markets.

I was sure we'd get favorite effects and audio transitions. ooh well.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Dec 19, 2013 at 4:46:26 pm

[David Powell] "I was sure we'd get favorite effects and audio transitions. ooh well."

I really wonder if they realize just how much time is wasted by not having a Favorites folder? The search thing is too time consuming and requires that you remember the exact name of the third-party (or native) plugin you're trying to find. I'll bet I waste at least an hour on every single project because we don't have this...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 19, 2013 at 4:52:55 pm

[Mitch Ives] "I really wonder if they realize just how much time is wasted by not having a Favorites folder?"

Agreed. though a workaround (for Motion based FX anyway) is to right click to "open a copy in Motion" and then "save as" from Motion it into a "favorites" folder (category) you can make. Not ideal, but it works pretty well for now...

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Dec 19, 2013 at 5:00:47 pm

Not ideal at all since the repeat ones I use are 3Rd party. I think people who said this was a new software and should be viewed a such were right.

Why competing software were able to replace nearly all of fcp 7s missing features as well as implement some of X's in shorter time is a mystery.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]