Command-r, command-r

Refresh

Shift-refresh

Refresh

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
Re: Command space
on Dec 19, 2013 at 1:57:28 pm

Heh. The price jump to get from 6 cores to 8 or 12 is so significant that we really do need to see bench tests of real world tasks to make an informed purchasing decision. Here's a good rundown of what the tradeoffs are based solely on the CPU specs. How well-parallelized an app is will directly impact whether those 8 and 12 core Mac Pros are worth the $1500 and $3000 respective price premiums despite their lower clock speeds.

Does BareFeets have the cash to buy three or four different Mac Pros at varying spec levels to test?

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Dec 19, 2013 at 2:20:46 pm

I'm definitely getting the 6-core. The price difference to get a 25% processor increase (only in the best scenarios) is simply too great. Anything less than 512 GB for the drive would be problematic for me. The question is which is better - upgrading from 32 to 64 gb or going D500 to D700.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Dec 19, 2013 at 2:27:29 pm

[Brett Sherman] "The question is which is better - upgrading from 32 to 64 gb or going D500 to D700."

D700 for sure. RAM is user-replaceable but it is not clear if the GPUs can be.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 19, 2013 at 4:17:15 pm

[Andrew Richards] "Does BareFeets have the cash to buy three or four different Mac Pros at varying spec levels to test?"

Probably not, but the virtual merry band of misfits (i.e. all of us that buy MacPros) will!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]