FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can libraries be opened from shared storage?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Morten Ranmar
Can libraries be opened from shared storage?
on Dec 19, 2013 at 10:59:27 am

It seems a bit unclear if we still agve to copy edit work files between workstations, or we can now all open from the same shared file? ( of course the last option does introduce possibility to overwrite someone elses work, but that is the same way we did it in FcP7)

- No Parking Production -

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x Prod. bundle CS6, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Ethernet File Server w. X-Raid.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Can libraries be opened from shared storage?
on Dec 19, 2013 at 12:59:18 pm

This is the first thing I am going to test today, to see how Libraries work in shared environs.

I have some Mavericks updating to do first.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Dec 19, 2013 at 1:06:15 pm
Last Edited By Andrew Richards on Dec 19, 2013 at 1:13:45 pm

Just tried putting a new Library on an AFP share and got a warning that storage needs to be "Local or a SAN Location", so my assumption till someone proves otherwise is that the same filesystem restrictions are in place: only HFS+J, Xsan, and NFS will work.

EDIT: However, in reading Philip Hodgetts' post about 10.1, ingest can now be sent to any mounted storage and simply linked to the Library and its attendant Events and Projects. This opens up very nice opportunities to optimize storage while using FCPX for ingest. Libraries can be put in high IOPS storage like SSD while ingested media is routed to pretty much anything that has the pipes for it. This is a good thing.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 19, 2013 at 4:03:04 pm

[Andrew Richards] "ingest can now be sent to any mounted storage and simply linked to the Library and its attendant Events and Projects"

Exactly. You can't open a Library from an AFP share, but you can put all your linked media on one and keep the Library local or an an attached drive/SAN location. Anyone who can mount the shares can open the Library from their local/attached drive. Sharing work in a facility on shared storage just got really easy.

If you have a Library containing Media on a SAN, anyone with access can open it.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]