FORUMS: list search recent posts

Drobo anybody?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Walker
Drobo anybody?
on Dec 18, 2013 at 12:57:06 am

I'm sorry to interrupt all the angst and hand wringing in anticipation of the black tube, to bring you a question about a black box.
Does anybody here use the new Drobo 5D (with Thunderbolt) as a media drive? I have an old 4 bay Drobo that I use to store camera masters, and it does that job well, but others in Texarkana have tried to use older Drobos as media drives with so-so results.
Would love to hear from anyone with experiences good or bad.

don walker
texarkana, texas

John 3:16

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
Re: Drobo anybody?
on Dec 18, 2013 at 1:10:22 am

I have the 5D - very good via Thunderbolt and nice safe drive system but not screaming performance like Pegasus. Around 200MB sec. read/write give or take - good enough for 1080p Pro Res editing.

You can buy mine empty with 64GB mSata module installed for $500 :)

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Nicholas Zimmerman
on Dec 18, 2013 at 1:32:12 am

Yes, I've got two Drobo 5Ds for very different uses at the moment. One is connected to my Mac Mini Server via Thunderbolt and holds my 6TB iTunes Library. It consists mostly of my own Blu-Ray rips so I can watch them on my Apple TV. The other is connected to a Mac Pro 3,1 via USB 3.0. I tried a few PCIe USB3 cards and didn't have any luck, but Drobo specifically mentioned the CalDigit as working. This is my primary media drive.

So far as media performance, it's okay at best. I'm currently looking into buying the new TB2 Pegasus R4 and loading that up as a speedy drive, and will then use the 5D for nightly backups. With 5x3TB WD Red NAS drives the 5D gives me an effective 10.87TB of space. It fills up somewhat regularly so I found some cheap 4TB USB3.0 drives that I do double back ups with (one on site, one off).

FCP X Certified Pro, Level Two

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Dec 18, 2013 at 2:06:13 am

I got in some trouble on another forum for my opinion on this...

I really like drobos, have owned every model up until the thunderbolt models so I'm not super familiar with using those for editing. My main concern with using them for editing is when a drive is detected as faulty, the drobo immediately takes it out of commission which slows down the whole thing until it rebuilds the raid.

Again, not sure on the thunderbolt models, but I have read several people having similar experiences with them when a drive is detected as bad. That said, they are excellent easy to use backup devices.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 18, 2013 at 3:12:00 am

I have been very vocal on many of these forums, about my strong dislike of the Drobo. In defense of Drobo, it is advertised as an archive device, not a shared storage system, and not a primary storage device.

While I can go thru the usual list of wonderful drive arrays on the market that outperform the Drobo, if you look at their direct competitors, ALL of them outperform the Drobo -
specifically -
QNAP
Thecus
Synology
Netgear ReadyNAS
(and as I said, pretty much every banner ad for storage that you see here on Creative Cow) -

with that said, I have NO IDEA why so many people seem to insist on trying the Drobo, other than the fact that it seems like a very inexpensive way of having a lot of storage. In my opinion, almost anything else is a better solution.

But as a networked storage device for ARCHIVE, it seems perfectly ok (but you would be better off with one of the brands I mentioned above).

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on Dec 18, 2013 at 3:18:24 am

Thanks Bob. Coming from you that's all the information I need. I will look at another vendor. Thanks to the other guys for chiming in. Lance, I'm afraid you'll have to look for another buyer.

don walker
texarkana, texas

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Dec 18, 2013 at 5:39:29 am

No prob - just trying to help. But Bob is completely wrong on this one as he is talking about Drobo SAN products and NOT the 5D. Do not go with ANY of the brands he mentioned as they are not for editing but for NAS/SAN use. I know Bob is an uber expert on storage but he missed this one.

If you really need fast performance in a Thunderbolt raid then stick with Pegasus for now.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on Dec 18, 2013 at 5:50:07 am

[Lance Bachelder] "No prob - just trying to help. But Bob is completely wrong on this one as he is talking about Drobo SAN products and NOT the 5D."
After reading his post again and doing more research I realized what you said might be right. I work in a church environment with a lot of 6 camera 720P/1080i multi cam clips. My 5 yr. old MacPro and LaCie Raids are getting old, and I am looking at replacements. Who knows, I may still contact you after the New Year.

I will say this though, I have read Bob's posts and articles for years, and I am a big fan. I also know some people who have worked with Bob personally, and they have the utmost respect for him.

When all is said and done, I would like to have the Pegasus TB 2.0 drives!

don walker
texarkana, texas

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Dec 18, 2013 at 8:22:47 am

I wasn't trying to knock Bob at all - he's a great guy and extremely knowledgable but I just think he missed the Drobo model is all.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Dec 18, 2013 at 6:26:02 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "I wasn't trying to knock Bob at all - he's a great guy and extremely knowledgable but I just think he missed the Drobo model is all."

FWIW, I didn't take it that way. You're right about the Pegasus being the better choice. You were also right to point out the SAN vs. 5D thing.

Bob's right about questioning the Drobo... I personally think it's popularity was due to Larry Jordan's early review when it looked like a cheap alternative to some things. I'm not saying it's bad, just that I think it's brand awareness might be exceeding it's overall value.

And whoever said it was best as a backup device is also right IMO.

All around, I think everyone's advice here was pretty spot on.

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Dec 18, 2013 at 4:15:47 am

The post was specifically about the 5D which is designed as local pro storage and not a SAN/NAS like the other brands you mentioned. I have 2 Synology's here via GigE and they cannot compete with the 5D as a local media drive - they get 60-80MB sec. tops while the 5D exceeds 200MB sec. via Thunderbolt (much slower via USB 3).

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Dec 18, 2013 at 2:47:43 pm

Just to put my two cents in, I have owned a second generation Drobo for a couple of years. I bought it used, but under warranty, with 8TB of storage included, for under 500 dollars. I bought it with the knowledge that it was purely a backup device, and have never even attempted to edit with source material stored there. That said, it has been bullet-proof. It turns on daily with my system, does its' selective backups, and I pretty much ignore it. It works.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 18, 2013 at 6:18:23 pm

Lance is correct - I made an ASSUMPTION (which is how I usually make stupid mistakes) and ASSUMED that this was yet another network shared device, and not local storage. So I am wrong (and this won't be the last time !).

thanks Lance, and sorry for the confusion.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]