Refresh refresh refresh.

Refresh.

Command-r.

Refresh refresh.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: Refresh refresh
on Dec 17, 2013 at 1:59:09 pm

There's going to be a lot of moaning if it's not today!

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 17, 2013 at 2:13:31 pm

After today it won't make any difference 'cause I'll have carpal tunnel syndrome.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 17, 2013 at 2:21:06 pm

[Craig Seeman] "After today it won't make any difference 'cause I'll have carpal tunnel syndrome."

Apple knows the puck is going to carpal tunnel syndrome -- that's why FCPX 10.1 will skate with Siri. :)

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 17, 2013 at 2:59:28 pm

I won't moan, but it's today or never this December!

And for those wondering, FCS3 installs just fine on brand new Mavericks computers complete with AppStore software update.

I don't know, however, how the dual GPUs will fare in Color and Motion4, but for the non MacPro mavericks installs, FCS3 seems to work. In case anyone needs that sort of thing anymore....

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Dec 17, 2013 at 3:07:48 pm

I'm not quite so pessimistic, but I am highly doubtful that Apple will release the MacPro and FPCX on either of the NEXT Tuesdays: those being Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve respectively...

If I was to guess, I'd say there some special circumstances at play here- and maybe that means Apple will break it's usual Tuesday release pattern for major updates. So maybe late this week or Monday next.

But I think if Apple realized the just weren't going to meet their December date, they would have made some kind of PR announcement by now.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 17, 2013 at 3:14:16 pm

Given the way Apple shuts down for the holidays they could face a tech support disaster though if anything goes wrong.

At this point I have to think they're mitigating an unanticipated issue.

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Dec 17, 2013 at 6:42:34 pm

I just keep refreshing this page.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Dec 17, 2013 at 7:08:04 pm

[Marcus Moore] "If I was to guess, I'd say there some special circumstances at play here- and maybe that means Apple will break it's usual Tuesday release pattern for major updates. So maybe late this week or Monday next."

Maybe they are waiting for TB2 Monitors, so they can release them concurrently? That's the only conspiracy theory I haven't heard mentioned yet...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Craig RussillRoy
on Dec 17, 2013 at 2:31:48 pm

I have to admit i am pretty amped on the new release ... we use FCPX a lot each day - check out

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/teranex

and see our setup !

Fcpx
FCP 7.0.2
FCPX 1.0..4
3 x 4TB Thunderbolt R4
VC100
3 x ioXT
MicroHub
Ultrascope
SmartView

Check out the free iBook broadcast delivery 101 on itunes

http://Www.delivercommercials.com

Return to posts index

Nicholas Zimmerman
Re: fresh refresh
on Dec 17, 2013 at 3:20:06 pm

If there's nothing by noon Pacific time I'm going to be disappointed. Until then, I'm optimistic.

FCP X Certified Pro, Level Two

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 17, 2013 at 6:48:13 pm

[Craig RussillRoy] "I have to admit i am pretty amped on the new release ... we use FCPX a lot each day - check out

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/teranex

and see our setup !"

Nice one!

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Dec 17, 2013 at 4:02:08 pm

Something to read in the meantime- Should you buy the new Mac Pro or an iMac?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 17, 2013 at 4:39:20 pm

What would you rather see; a timely release or bug free release? Personally, I prefer delays if it means a more solid release.

So if it is pushed to later, as if Apple would do that, would people complain tons and tons now, but be happy later with a working version? Or be happy for a December release, albeit a buggy one?

I know, in a perfect world you want timely and bug free. But I suspect the reason they are waiting so long is to fix all the bugs they can...at least when it comes to FCX. The MacPro is probably waiting on stock to build up so they don't sell out in 2 hours and are confronted by an angry mob with torches and pitchforks.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Dec 17, 2013 at 5:02:31 pm

Or option 3, Apple allows Registered Developers to install pre-release Beta versions.

Then I can play with the buggy new version on a secondary system in advance as well as be prepared for the new features when it is released.

Except that after the first beta version, all future beta releases would become "normal" timing and we would once again be anxiously waiting, only now for the new beta version.

Other than that, I'd definitely prefer a timely release. Even if it is buggy, it won't make it onto my main system until my workflow is tested. I've learned that lesson the hard way, when I got myself into an awful dual-boot split-workflow scenario, stuck waiting for driver updates.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Dec 17, 2013 at 4:39:23 pm

And this- why-final-cut-pro-x-works-and-an-introduction-to-fcpworks-by-sam-mestman

With this quoted from the last paragraph- "Now, that's a lot of talk. Talk is cheap, and as editors, we believe in showing rather than telling. So, if you want to see a new version of Final Cut Pro X in action running on a new Mac Pro playing back 6K RED Dragon footage on a 4K projector via AJA hardware; cutting an absurd number of streams of multicam 4K footage natively in realtime; moving in and out of DaVinci Resolve seamlessly in a high end Quantum SAN environment (as well as some other things we haven’t released yet)— you'll want to come to the FCPWORKS launch event on Saturday, January 25th at Unici Casa in Los Angeles."

Interesting

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 17, 2013 at 4:46:43 pm

OK so it'll be released by January 25.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 17, 2013 at 5:07:27 pm

Refresh.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 17, 2013 at 5:54:38 pm

You remind me of Monk in the episode where he's stuck in an elevator.

"Lobby lobby lobby lobby lobby..."

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Dec 17, 2013 at 6:07:31 pm

It's officially after 10AM here on the west coast and...sob...sob... nothing...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 17, 2013 at 6:34:14 pm

[Shane Ross] "You remind me of Monk in the episode where he's stuck in an elevator. "

So you're saying I'm smart, but quirky.

I've been called worse.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Dec 17, 2013 at 6:25:37 pm

I can't get the sound of Tim Cook's voice out of my head as I imagine hearing him tell us that...

"innovation is never easy and it must be done right regardless of what it takes to achieve the perfection you expect and deserve from Apple... [excuse me! telephone call from the President conferencing with the NSA and Mr Putin] and that's why our engineers are in lockdown until we can ship a machine that will forever change how you view your creative workstation architecture with a non-linear editor refresh that defines as possible everything you've believed was impossible at a price that will astonish. [excuse me! again: telephone call from the UN Security Council ... Syria and Iran... ]. And one more thing, I'll be right back with the release date as soon as I can; let me assure you, these products will be shipping, ah, as I have said earlier, 'later.'"

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Dec 17, 2013 at 6:22:42 pm

Been doing that as well. "Kids, tune in tomorrow, same time, same channel and you guessed right! Not coming out until December, but which year?"

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on Dec 17, 2013 at 6:32:18 pm

Well, if not today, then probably tomorrow or Thursday.

Maybe we were mistaken to assume a Tuesday target. Tuesdays are for new product introductions, but the new MP has already been introduced, and all that's left to do is enable the "Buy" button and some configuration options in the online Store. That can happen anytime I guess.

Still, I really miss the old Apple, which could reimagine and reinvent a new computer without leaving its customers hanging for 3.5 years.

-------------------
Los Angeles Cameraman
Canon C300 (x2), Zeiss CP.2 lenses, P2 Varicam, etc.
http://www.lacameraman.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 17, 2013 at 6:35:07 pm

There is no more old Apple.

It's time to let it go.

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on Dec 17, 2013 at 6:48:52 pm

I guess you don't miss anything, Jeremy?

-------------------
Los Angeles Cameraman
Canon C300 (x2), Zeiss CP.2 lenses, P2 Varicam, etc.
http://www.lacameraman.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 17, 2013 at 7:16:24 pm

[Helmut Kobler] "I guess you don't miss anything, Jeremy?"

Certainly.

It mostly has to do with cameras, and I don't even shoot. If there's one thing that has become a bit more complicated in this business, it is cameras and production.

It seems that on every shoot, there's a new camera, a new menu structure, a new color science, which then of course, dictates new workflows.

Then there's lenses. Some are proprietary, some aren't. You need adapters, pass throughs, a whole box full of them, just to core what was once done with one ENG lens, maybe two, if you had more specialized lenses.

Because of this, the post side also has to handle all of these ever changing formats. I miss the days when you could pull a camera with a solid handle out of a bag, put it on a tripod, and turn it on to be ready to shoot in about 30 seconds. But because of this, higher quality gear is more readily available.

FCP7 is already dead. We are shooting with formats that FCP7 can't even see.

I will not miss these old computers. The new Mac machines with PCIe storage are blazing. I finally have had a chance to put my hands on new Mac hardware. I guess I sort of miss the 17" screen, but the 15" form factor and retained 1920x1200 resolution is worth it, as well as waiting for Thunderbolt 2.

I will not miss burning discs, I will not miss waiting for captures, I will not miss dropout, bad tc, and misfired audio. I will certainly not miss EDLs.

I am not scared of Thunderbolt. It will actually help to standardize the entire edit and field workflows which will help us with our work. Perhaps I am too much of an optimist.

Sure, it will cost some money, but that in turn, is what we need to tell our clients.

Jeremy

PS I do miss some of the Jobs' presentations, but at least we have Phil Schiller who's not afraid to cuss in front of thousands of viewers.

(I do not remember an old Apple where there were never any delays, by the way.)

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Dec 17, 2013 at 7:53:02 pm

i miss gil amelio and performas. now those were the days.

also - i think apple are delaying X just to drive this forum out of its mind.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Dec 17, 2013 at 8:03:23 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "also - i think apple are delaying X just to drive this forum out of its mind.
"

That's exactly what the voices are telling me

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Dec 17, 2013 at 8:05:16 pm

It's working!

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 17, 2013 at 8:08:26 pm

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Dec 17, 2013 at 9:36:28 pm

My eyes are getting heavy. I am getting very sleepy. Going into a state of relaxation. Wait, the opposite is now true. I am going into a mental trance. I see the Mac Pro dancing around inside my unstable multiple personality mental state. The waveform is devouring me into a state of insanity. The computer image is fading away. Now the new X is circling me. I am losing it. I can take no more, please make it stop. Please!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 17, 2013 at 10:54:45 pm

command-q

power button

return

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Dec 17, 2013 at 11:43:35 pm

Not going to be today then, same time tomorrow everyone?

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Dec 18, 2013 at 1:09:12 am

[Steve Connor] "same time tomorrow everyone?
"

pub returned from craft beers in camberwell - apparently?

what are apple doing to people? putting tenterhooks to shame here.
given twitter whispers? - you'd nearly suspect absolutely no basic alteration to core methodology. just a massive enhancement for groups, and some whizz bang marker auto awareness. which does sound like them.

I say they broadly stand over the timeline - and build out every answer to its facility operation. and throw in functionality glitter dust as a come hither to the imovie upscalers. which they would have to do if they are operating an editing academy from imovie. which they kind of are.

still - don't the yanks need to bill the hardware soon?

there should at least be a last minute betting pool on features- say audio tracks. or the role equivalent.

house bets type thing. I say keyframing moves from where it was. I don't think its a timeline clip tied GUI architecture anymore.

I bet ten quid exposing keyframe timing is no longer tied to the clip in timeline. there is another place set aside to rearrange keyframes in time ala FCP7.

i have ten quid down. are there, like, takers.

bets people.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Dec 18, 2013 at 1:11:36 am

Sadly I'll be here.... but what a pathetic bunch we are.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Dec 18, 2013 at 1:14:44 am

Why do I have this funny feeling they are going to torture us until the end of the year? Will check back tomorrow to see if anything does change. The sooner the better or off to the nut house for me.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 18, 2013 at 1:30:05 am

It's still ok to be excited about things isn't it?

If not, then yes, we might be pathetic.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Dec 18, 2013 at 5:11:12 am

Trying to make sense of Aindreas' last post, but it think he's just about ready to buy the next round of beer so you wouldn't want to miss that!

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Dec 18, 2013 at 1:24:26 am

January is the new December!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 18, 2013 at 1:27:58 am

It's the new "iDecember" the 13th month of the year. Look for it in the next update to iCal.

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Dec 18, 2013 at 1:04:09 pm

Jeff Kilgroe at the RED forum said this yesterday, and I quote:

"Mac Pros are actually here. Resellers are taking delivery of the stock configs! Today! Authorized business sales resellers and business sales reps at Apple Stores can take orders for them starting today!

No official word on CTO pricing or the systems going online on the Apple Web store. Indicators seem to be saying tomorrow or thursday.

…Just thought y'all should know. MacRumors and similar news sites are failing on this. Sad, really sad."

Return to posts index

Scott Williams
on Dec 18, 2013 at 2:14:59 pm

I got a call from an Apple Business team member yesterday who asked if I wanted the Mac Pro before the end of year and asked me to specify the configuration I was looking for.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Dec 18, 2013 at 2:58:55 pm

I got a call from Santa Claus this morning asking me whether I wanted the Maserati Quattroporte S and the case of 1978 Romanée-Conti Grand Cru in my barn, or in the front yard. :>)

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Dec 18, 2013 at 5:53:13 pm
Last Edited By David Eaks on Dec 18, 2013 at 6:01:39 pm

Just got a call, still on the phone. Tomorrow, confirmed Mac Pro release.

Edit:
In case you missed all the other posts.

Return to posts index

Kai Rankio
on Dec 19, 2013 at 2:22:57 pm

Finland, GMT -2 hrs:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]