FORUMS: list search recent posts

How much will the 'top-o-the-line' Mac Pro cost

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dennis Radeke
How much will the 'top-o-the-line' Mac Pro cost
on Dec 15, 2013 at 1:15:50 pm

Not a 4 or 6 core, but the 12. That is my own chief curiosity...

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
Re: How much will the 'top-o-the-line' Mac Pro cost
on Dec 15, 2013 at 2:23:39 pm

If the info Apple provided me is correct, CDN$9,700 or probably US$9,500 (no including any business discount- which for me will be 5%)

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Dec 15, 2013 at 2:43:52 pm

[Marcus Moore] "US$9,500"

Assuming that is maxed out. Question - do you find that a good deal given what is in the marketplace at this time?

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Dec 15, 2013 at 3:52:38 pm

Based on the articles I've seen putting together closest comparable machines with these internals- yes.

I think Apple is actually swinging an amazing deal on the GPUs from AMD.

All you have to do is look at this forum to see many people (including myself) coming to the conclusion that the top of the line machine would probably be closer to 11K or 12K. So, yeah, I'm satisfied if that's the price.

And for me personally, I don't expect to be able to put together a machine myself and NOT have it cost less than what Apple offers. If you're willing to put in the leg-work: the research, the parts hunting, the maintenance, etc... then you SHOULD see a savings, and I think it's silly to dig Apple when their prices are matched against the "tinkerer's price". If you're willing to put in that work, then reap the benefits-

For me, I'd rather pay that slight premium on my machine and not have those responsibilities, and just get down to editing.

Sorry if I got sidetracked there.

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Dec 15, 2013 at 4:34:24 pm

I think if you buy the exact same components like same 12 core CPU and 2xd700GPU you're already at $8500. I think it would be quite hard to get a matching setup for the same price.
The 4 and 6 core machines are a different story as there are hackintosh builds that got impressive stats and match geekbench results. (although there is more to a computer than those benchmark tests)

I once wanted to do a hackintosh but what most people forget is those things take time to build. Most people spend weeks to months checking parts, configs, etc. Those hours also cost money as you could have been working during that time. When you count the hours it takes setting up a hackintosh that matches the maxed out mac pro I think you're well past $9500 in hours and parts. Of course there are probably people who can prove they did it for less, the question is: can we? I know i can't...

My point of view is that the new mac pro a pretty good deal. (at least I hope so :-)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 15, 2013 at 4:54:29 pm

[Marcus Moore] "For me, I'd rather pay that slight premium on my machine and not have those responsibilities, and just get down to editing."

I don't think you got sidetracked. I think you are absolutely right.

If, in the off chance, something does go wrong at least there's a phone number to call, or if you are near a repair center, you can take the MacPro in for service.

I can't justify the time and effort for a Hackintosh, let alone multiple Hackintoshes.

Even if going PC, I'd but from a place the supports it and not make my own.

If the fully decked MacPro comes in under $10k, it should be a pretty good deal.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Dec 15, 2013 at 5:13:55 pm

[Dennis Radeke] "do you find that a good deal given what is in the marketplace at this time?"

It starts out looking like a great deal, and it will be for those with no PCIe or additional storage requirements. For those who still require PCIe connectivity, you have to add between $500 - $1200 for Thunderbolt to PCIe expansion boxes, at which point the MacPro is still fairly priced vs PC workstations, but no longer a bargain.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Dec 16, 2013 at 2:54:01 am

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I appreciate your input.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 16, 2013 at 2:34:32 pm
Last Edited By Craig Seeman on Dec 16, 2013 at 2:35:52 pm

… and then there's the cost of enclosures for hard drives.
Buying drives with enclosures can be expensive.
There's a need for JBOD enclosures with the ability to add and remove as needed.

Promise now sells this without disks and can be used as JBOD
http://store.apple.com/us/product/HE150VC/A/promise-pegasus2-r4-diskless-4b...

Western Digital MyBook Duo Thunderbolt comes with two drives but it "user serviceable"

Of course if you're really just doing JBOD a multidisk USB3 enclosure would be OK as well since you're not really pushing the data pipe.

Basically there's slim pickings if you want an empty multi-disk enclosure.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Dec 16, 2013 at 2:54:31 pm

[Craig Seeman] "… and then there's the cost of enclosures for hard drives."

Sonnet makes an interesting package with it's rack-mount PCIe expansion chassis, the Mobile Rack Kit, which allows you to install 3 external hard drives in the same unit as the 3 slot PCIe expansion. Together the package goes for $1200. It's like the other half of the computer that Apple chose not to include.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echoexpressiii.html

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Dec 15, 2013 at 6:04:01 pm

This is an interesting comparison:

A $9700 PC with comparable options except for... The GPU, only 1 (NVIDIA quaddro 3GB --> seems comparable to 1 D500) which retails at $799.00 at Newegg.com. Sure that build has 4TB storage and a few optical drives and expansion possibilities but when you compare the most important hardware, the mac pro is way ahead for a lower price...

check the link here: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadaventumii.asp?id=869446&workstati...

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Dec 15, 2013 at 7:36:16 pm

I got a quote of just a shade over £7400 which was the top spec 12 core, 64Gb RAM, top spec GPU and 256Gb SSD.

I'd say that for the build quality, reliability and high standard of parts in the mac range this is a great deal.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]