FORUMS: list search recent posts

Merry Christmas

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Ewart
Merry Christmas
on Dec 13, 2013 at 7:21:15 pm

I'm guessing 23rd December or their more favoured Tuesday 24th as a little present to us all.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
Re: Merry Christmas
on Dec 13, 2013 at 7:34:33 pm

I can't imagine a scenario where they release any later than next week. Apple tends to shut down pretty effectively over the holidays. As it is, next week is pushing it right to the edge for a software release- let alone the MacPro.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 13, 2013 at 7:35:42 pm

In which case can we assume they have major bugs and dare not risk another disastrous launch?

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Dec 13, 2013 at 7:44:47 pm

The "delay" may not have anything at all to do with 10.1's stability.

Apple has seemingly decided to inexorably tie the release of FCPX and the new MacPro together (along with any other ProApps updates they may have up their sleeves). That being the case, it could all be on MacPro release issues, whether it's component supply, getting stock out to different markets, or whether the MacPro need the 10.9.1 OS update that's very close to release.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 13, 2013 at 8:24:48 pm

yeah well if they blow this FCPX release I would say for mainstream broadcast in the UK they will be dead and buried.

Interesting to see how serious they are. I hope I have backed the right horse...

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Dec 13, 2013 at 8:33:41 pm

What exactly are you expecting? They're not going to be doing a 180 degree turn on the software. This will be a measured, incremental improvement on the existing version.

It seems like database structure and media management are the two big foundational changes this time, if Alex4D's code snoopings are correct (and I'm sure they are).

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Dec 13, 2013 at 8:53:00 pm

[Marcus Moore] "This will be a measured, incremental improvement on the existing version."

That's also what I expect.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 13, 2013 at 9:56:59 pm

I'm expecting broader interface and changes to larger shortcomings. Perhaps things like Send to motion.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Dec 13, 2013 at 10:09:28 pm

[Bret Williams] "I'm expecting broader interface and changes to larger shortcomings. Perhaps things like Send to motion."

That would be nice and please bring back the color wheel. The color box is not all that bad but when the pucks overlap it can be difficult to make further adjustments. Individual slider controls would also be nice. Of course there is always Resolve which fits nicely into the workflow.

I am pleased with the progress that is being made overall since the initial launch. I expect X to gain the lead and seems to be heading in that direction.

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Dec 13, 2013 at 10:25:47 pm

I just want colored markers that hover text like Avid. A working matchframe, a replace edit the way it's supposed to work, multiclip flattening, and fix the problem of audio enhancements creating noise on multicam cuts! An extend edit function that rolls the edit point Avid style or any real trimming functions is wishful thinking.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 14, 2013 at 4:51:21 am

The audio enhancements for me usually make it worse.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Dec 14, 2013 at 3:32:01 pm

Are you talking about the auto-enhancements? Cause yes, they have their limits. (though light room noise can be pretty much eliminated if you have a decent signal to noise ratio).

But the Logic Pro plugins are tops- but yes, any audio plugins applied across a multi-cam edit can create a bump.

For now, my solution is to compound clip the Multi-cam before applying effects. But it would be great not to have to.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 14, 2013 at 3:44:40 pm

Yes I guess for something very subtle they may work but but generally I find them useless.

All those Logic plugins are great. Except I am restricted at the moment to limiter and compressor.

A whole new "thing" to learn.

No end to it is there?

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Dec 14, 2013 at 3:47:04 pm

Limiter and compressor get you a long way.

I recently spent $800 on Izotope RX3 for more muscular noise-reduction. It's not magic, but it's definitely a huge step up from the built-in options.

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Dec 14, 2013 at 8:34:55 pm

Marcus Moore and James. I think the auto enhancements work quite well for improving noise reduction for live events that happen outside. It would be nice if we had the Noise print function like STP but Audio enhancements gets me by. Unfortunately, you cannot use them across a multiclip or even in the angle editor, because they cause a noise at every cut.

I personally could care less about project sharing or send to motion. I only like X for short form stuff. Narrative or long form doc calls for great trimming tools (Avid/Premiere). X doesn't even have good trim tools. And neither did 7 for that matter which is why noone coming from 7 seems to demand any.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Dec 14, 2013 at 8:42:12 pm

You're absolutely right- when cutting picture only in the multi cam, audio edits should not be added (though they seem to be invisible until you start putting effects on them). I've submitted feedback to Apple on this and if you haven't you should as well. But hopefully it will be a moot point after 10.1.

As for trimming, while I was an AVID editor for 6 years, it's been so long since then I can't remember what the advantages were. Everyone seems to say it's the gold standard, so it must be at least sort of true.

So I'd welcome some advancement in that regard.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 15, 2013 at 11:32:47 am

You see that really interests me because FCP came along just after my first Avid course and was right place right time for my journey. I have played with Premier quite a bit but hardly at all with Avid. I have good friends who are stalwart Avid Editors and whom I respect hugely. They talk about Avid's superior Media Management. I have not heard trimming mentioned before.

As for trimming. What are the shortcomings of FCP7 and X compared with Avid and Premiere in your view. i find them fine for me but I am not speaking form an informed position as I've only really ever used FCP in anger. For the last year exclusively X.

Because I work alone this does not really effect me so I have no way of comparing or understanding the deficiencies.

Genuinely interested.

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Dec 15, 2013 at 12:09:09 pm

There are many advantages. A lot of FCP editors complain about Avid's modal model. IMO this is what makes it so powerful. As soon as you go into trim mode it selects the nearest edit point and you can do any number of edits using jkl. And while you're on the edit you hit the space bar and the edit will loop while you make adjustments it updates in realtime! FCP7 had a sloppy version of this called dynamic trimming option which noone ever used because it was cumbersome.

Also "Extend Edit" sooooo much different in Avid (and now premiere) then 7 or X. Lets say you play past an edit point and realize that the timing needs to roll exactly to where you stop the playhead. With Final Cut you have to click on the edit (there is no "select nearest edit hotkey which drives me crazy") then reposition back to that point in time, then hit extend edit. With Avid, you simply play to that point and hit either in/out then the extend hotkey (literally can be done in one stroke) and boom your edit rolls. The speed that this gives you when you make a second pass after a rough cut is incredible.

Color Correction is another example. In Final Cut you have to select each clip then choose color then correct, then choose the next clip. In Avid you simply enter CC mode and any clip that the playhead is on will automatically be selected for CC so you can just hit next clip or play and color correct shot to shot. Now of course the Avid Color tools don't have secondaries like X which is a shame, but for camera matching and general CC it can't be beat in an NLE. Plus it comes stock with curves and CC memory so you can add saved corrections to similar shots.

These are just a few examples. But honestly the Extend edit function alone makes trimming 10x better than in X, which is why I would always choose Avid for long form and narrative, though i can and have done it in 7 and X if I'm forced to. I doubt they could come up with any serious trim tools just because of the way magnetism is setup vs tracks. Its a nice advancement from 7 but only because 7's trim tools were subpar to begin with.

Another problem with X's multicam is that If you do an hour long multi clip, you can't play through the clip in the Event side to make selections. Probably due to the fact that it doesn't have a real viewer function. This is a HUGE problem. However I use X exclusively for these type of projects only because I cut start/stop dlsr multicam, which X handles best up front (as does 7) though it is very inflexible on the back end (w/the exception of the angle editor of course which is cool). There is a lot of functionality that was sacrificed for the sake of cool shiny features.

I've found that most people who shoot and edit don't tend to use any real power function of any NLE, and I think that shooter/editors are X's primary market. Not a knock. Some people don't have time to really dig in the manual to unleash all the power of an NLE, they just need to know where to drag and drop and thats good enough. X is great in that regard.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Dec 15, 2013 at 1:11:51 pm

[David Powell] "I've found that most people who shoot and edit don't tend to use any real power function of any NLE, and I think that shooter/editors are X's primary market. Not a knock."

Oh yes it is

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Dec 15, 2013 at 1:33:44 pm

It wasn't meant to be. X has a very short learning curve compared to Avid. This is great. The tradeoff is its not as deep. However there are many tasks that are streamlined in X that take extra setup in Avid that would overcomplicate the project.

I personally think the two are great to know together. I don't mind the lack of trim tools in X. I like having magnetism for certain projects. But some features are just plain missing or unrefined especially with multicam that need fixing. I'm hopeful with this next release.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Dec 15, 2013 at 2:52:52 pm

[David Powell] "It wasn't meant to be. X has a very short learning curve compared to Avid. This is great. The tradeoff is its not as deep. However there are many tasks that are streamlined in X that take extra setup in Avid that would overcomplicate the project.

I personally think the two are great to know together. I don't mind the lack of trim tools in X. I like having magnetism for certain projects. But some features are just plain missing or unrefined especially with multicam that need fixing. I'm hopeful with this next release.
"

Have you had a chance to use Premiere CC much? I wonder how much of a danger that might be to Avid in the future. It certainly is the NLE that many wish FCP8 would have been, but Adobe also appear to be targeting Avid quite heavily with the tools they are adding.

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Dec 15, 2013 at 7:53:20 pm

I tried cutting a project on it, but the track patching drove me crazy. Another thing I always hated about 7.
Spent time going through the tutorials and searching online but I couldn't get answers as to whether or not there was a similar auto patch function or not. With X in the toolbox I didn't see much that would pull me from Avid to Premiere.

I do like the fact that X is so different I can jump from both applications without losing muscle memory.

Jumping from one track based editor to another its a pain though.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Dec 15, 2013 at 2:23:33 pm

[Steve Connor] "Oh yes it is"

In the spirit of the season, someone just has to say:

"Oh no, it isn't!"

So I will ;-)

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Dec 15, 2013 at 2:49:54 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] ""Oh no, it isn't!""

Oh yes it is!

Should we explain about the strange British tradition of Pantomime?

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Dec 15, 2013 at 3:16:05 pm

[Steve Connor] "Should we explain about the strange British tradition of Pantomime?"

I doubt they'd get it even if we did explain! I'm not at all sure I understand it myself ;-)

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 15, 2013 at 2:58:58 pm
Last Edited By James Ewart on Dec 15, 2013 at 3:04:07 pm

"I've found that most people who shoot and edit don't tend to use any real power function of any NLE, and I think that shooter/editors are X's primary market. Not a knock. Some people don't have time to really dig in the manual to unleash all the power of an NLE, they just need to know where to drag and drop and thats good enough. X is great in that regard"

I find that quite an invalid generalisation and a rather ignorant thing to say.

Avid takes a long time to learn because well, it's not very intuitive is it? The interface is designed to (or at any rate does) make editing look very complicated. It was designed by and for Linear Online editors. it's all a bit geeky.

I have found FCPX to be rather more complex and deep than 7 since I embarked on the journey of learning and embracing X.

Of course that's just my opinion... which according to your generalisation is of little value probably.

After all I'm just somebody who shoots (sometimes) and edits myself.

But you probably never cut on film did you which is ... yup ... putting one picture in front of another to tell a story using a razor blade and a bit of sticky tape.

Some pretty good movies got made that way.

Out of interest David what is your main area of work?

http://www.jamesewart.co.uk

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Dec 15, 2013 at 3:19:08 pm

[James Ewart] "Avid takes a long time to learn because well, it's not very intuitive is it? The interface is designed to (or at any rate does) make editing look very complicated. It was designed by and for Linear Online editors. it's all a bit geeky."

It's really strange for me to read comments like this - which are very much the norm, of course.

I learnt to use Media Composer back when there really weren't any other viable options, so it doesn't seem at all "unintuitive" to me and editors of my generation.

I'm getting old ...

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Dec 15, 2013 at 4:00:52 pm

It certainly didn't seem unintuitive to me when you consider the systems we were moving from, room-sized A/B BetaSP suites. I was already dabbling with things like VideoToaster & Lightwave3D before AVID became accessible in my area. So AVID wasn't that huge a stretch- comparatively.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 15, 2013 at 4:08:32 pm

Compared to film editing though? X is the closest "look" for me. I like seeing the images in the timeline. It feels like a bit of film on a flatbed. To me Avid feels like I'm sitting in a tape suite watching some bloke pushing loads of buttons. Actually even legacy feels like that to me now.
Not to mention if I've got something on v8 the audio is bloody miles way down on a15 and a16.
Not that I ever get as far as more than about 5 layers these days. The joy of Auditions!

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 15, 2013 at 4:01:47 pm

You come from online tape?

I come from Moviola and Steenbeck.

I always hated linear online tape editing.

I know which looks more like a film strip to me.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Dec 15, 2013 at 4:17:59 pm

I edited on film in the early 90's, but I quickly discovered I was WAY too messy. My edits always ending up being noticeable, and I hated that.

While I was in high school I'd invested in a VHS deck with a flying erase head, which created clean edits. So even if I had to deliver on film, I'd always record the rushes projected off a screen, take them home and figure out all my edits that way- so I wasn't having to make decisions with the film cutting.

Having been exposed to the digital side of things fairly early, I could tell that was the way things were going- one way or another. Tape to tape suites were the closest I could get for a while. But I only cut that way for a year or two.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 15, 2013 at 4:20:05 pm

Pretty dull not being able to go into the middle of an edit and remove a few seconds here and there without going down a generation. And a limit to how often you could do that. Very restrictive way of editing.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Dec 15, 2013 at 4:24:03 pm

It was a tiered approach. By the time I sat down in the big suite I'd already made all my decisions on dual VHS systems. You make all your mistakes there where you don't care about quality.

It was very much an offline/online approach.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 15, 2013 at 4:30:22 pm

... only got involved with lo band Umatic edits (with no TBC) and found it incredibly laborious.

Of course Avid was the saviour (and Lightworks) but I found it too complicated for my brain.

I downloaded a trail Media compose when I was struggling with FCPX and still found the interface really confusing.

So maybe FCPX is a better tool for us "thickos" (that's not meant to sound chippy)

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Dec 15, 2013 at 4:25:17 pm

[James Ewart] "Pretty dull not being able to go into the middle of an edit and remove a few seconds here and there without going down a generation. And a limit to how often you could do that. Very restrictive way of editing."

Yes, film was great in this respect - no generation loss, adjust timings whenever and wherever you wanted.

Somebody please bring it back ;-)

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 15, 2013 at 4:32:28 pm

"no generation loss" Except for opticals.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Dec 15, 2013 at 4:21:35 pm

[James Ewart] "You come from online tape?

I come from Moviola and Steenbeck."

I come from Steenbeck too ...

Yes, I am very old.

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 15, 2013 at 4:25:49 pm

and you don't feel comfortable in FCPX?

I think a lot of it is habits and who we get used to working. It's a bloody pain having to learn a new set of shortcuts and doing things a different way when they way you did it before worked perfectly.

X looked ridiculous to me at first.

Now 7 looks prehistoric.

That said I am not under massive time pressure most of the time.

It goes as fast as I can think.

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Dec 15, 2013 at 8:20:18 pm
Last Edited By David Powell on Dec 15, 2013 at 8:23:51 pm

James I should have said the shooter editors I've come across. Most of the ones I dealt with were primary shooters but hired others to cut. But they knew enough fcp 7 to put together a rough cut with no fuss. I believe this is a selling point for X. Producers who aren't editors can get the basics without a steep learning curve and make selects.

X is deep. But the toolset is not yet as deep as its competitors. You can't even consolidate a project with used media. There no tracker system. No keyframable speedramps. Bezier handles. Audio Mixer. You know the list. Its got some outstanding features but is way behind the curve on some basics. Many which are in 7.

I really meant no offense. There are plenty of shooters who know there software well. Plenty of editors who don't. Storytelling is the sellable skill.

I will edit that out of the post.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 15, 2013 at 8:24:03 pm

I leave the audio mix to the audio pros.

I tell the story.

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Dec 15, 2013 at 3:15:14 pm

[David Powell] "There are many advantages. A lot of FCP editors complain about Avid's modal model. IMO this is what makes it so powerful."

It doesn't. It is just some functions better implemented. They don't mandate modality.

[David Powell] " And while you're on the edit you hit the space bar and the edit will loop while you make adjustments it updates in realtime! "

With an edit selected hit play around current and trim with square brackets.

[David Powell] " Lets say you play past an edit point and realize that the timing needs to roll exactly to where you stop the playhead. With Final Cut you have to click on the edit (there is no "select nearest edit hotkey which drives me crazy") then reposition back to that point in time, then hit extend edit."

There is a Select Edit Shortcut in FCP7. It will select the nearest edit. The problem is it will take the playhead to the selected edit. Select first, then extend. Not as neat as Avid but not as bad as you make it to look.

[David Powell] "In Final Cut you have to select each clip then choose color then correct, then choose the next clip. In Avid you simply enter CC mode and any clip that the playhead is on will automatically be selected for CC so you can just hit next clip or play and color correct shot to shot."

Select all clips on the timeline. Apply 3-Way CC. Select "Open" from playhead sync menu.

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Dec 15, 2013 at 10:28:02 pm

Michael do you know the name of that command off hand? I could only find a "go to next edit" command similar to Avid's ffwd, but not one that actually puts you in a trim stance. I would love to know that it exists. So many names of features change from platform. I wish there was a common parlance. Bravo to Apple for adding Top/Tail, btw. That was a most welcome trim tool.

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Dec 15, 2013 at 11:02:45 pm

Select Edit is V (watch for your Auto Select and Linked Selection Settings). The nearest edit will be highlighted and the playhead will jump to it. From there you can either call the Trim Window with Command-7 for two-up view or simply hit Backslash and trim with [ and ]. The length of pre-roll and post-roll for play around current are adjustable in the User Preferences.

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Dec 15, 2013 at 11:29:29 pm

It sounds like you're referring to fcp7. I was referring to fcpX. Yes I believe 7 did have a select edit function. Far as I know it doesn't exist in X. You have to go to next edit then select edge. You can't go straight to trimming. Its faster with the mouse in X.

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Dec 15, 2013 at 11:32:36 pm

Sorry. FCP7 of course.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 16, 2013 at 4:09:20 am

Would it be fair to say that Avid Editors do not much like using the mouse?

For speed reasons or whatever.

Just wondering.

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Dec 16, 2013 at 4:19:44 am

I dare not speak for others, but I prefer to use the keyboard. Avid is really setup to work fast from the keyboard. Its very fluid. Once you have it setup its like paying the piano. Of course now I find myself wishing I had a skimmer in Avid! Hopefully they steal that.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 16, 2013 at 4:30:21 am

I think that's one of the BIG things perhaps.

For me the mouse has always been a rather nice direct link to the interface. But if you have learnt to be able to do almost everything from the keyboard I guess that could be a cause of some frustration.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you can't select from the "source" window in Avid and drag a a clip into the timeline with the mouse? Maybe I was doing something wrong but I found that immensely frustrating when I was playing with the free trial.

Even in X I occasionally dump something at the end of the timeline that I know I want to use later. Probably bad practice but it works for me.

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Dec 16, 2013 at 4:38:47 am

There's no wrong way. Just user preference. You can drag and drop in every nle. I mapped the transport to the left hand for fcpX so my right hand is always on the mouse. That's the fastest way for me. All my shortcuts are remapped to the left. Works really well for X.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 16, 2013 at 5:24:44 am

You are referring to the JKL keys?

I sort of work the same way only instead of remapping the keys I moved the keyboard!

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Dec 14, 2013 at 4:50:58 am

Simple, common-sensical things like being able to "finalize" multi-cam clips (we called it "collapse" in FCP7) the same way you Finalize an Audition pick ... so you can then detach audio and such.. Being able to re-integrate detached audio, without the workaround of finding original clip and re-editing it back into the timeline. Same with cuts, being able to "heal" blade cuts rather than trimming the shot back out and overwriting the cut.

Doug D

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 14, 2013 at 4:52:47 am

Yes for goodness sake why get rid of "join through edit"?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 14, 2013 at 4:58:20 am

Yeah. I still don't buy the whole "it's completely new code" from iMovie thing. iMovie didn't have join through edits, and miraculously, when they built this new code of FCP X from the ground up, they left out pro stuff like join through edit. Hmmmm. And yet, when they created multi cam, which isn't part of iMovie, they seemed to include join through edit in that code.

But hey, PPro users just got join through edit after 20 years.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 14, 2013 at 5:02:17 am

There is "join through edit" in multi cam?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 14, 2013 at 5:03:45 am

Highlight the edit and press delete. Just like in legacy.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 14, 2013 at 5:06:31 am

I didn't even though you could do that in Legacy - I was always a right click guy.

Wasn't it you who told me about shift t instead of tttt for select all forwards?

Mind you I think it was me who extolled the virtues of Gaps to you so that's 2-1 to you!

Ho hum

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Dec 14, 2013 at 3:36:36 pm

I think you guys are still making the mistake of thinking they were consciously looking to "get rid" of anything.

There's a difference between not wanting to do something and not having something done.

If FCPX had no expectations of a delivery date, they maybe they could have working on it for another 1 or 2 years before releasing it into the wild- integrating more and more of the features from Legacy. But someone made the call to ship something in June 2011. And, well... what happened happened.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 14, 2013 at 3:51:34 pm

For sure it is way beyond the capacity of my brain to understand what's easy and what's difficult when it comes to creating an application as complex as FCP or any of these things.

These people are superhuman.

So I guess I am the fool on the hill thinking "why did they think that we would not need the Join Through Edit tool" or the tool I found most useful having started very briefly with Avid for my first dip of the toe in the water in the journey of multi-skilling back in 2000, but which I loved so much about FCP from the outset: "Slip or move into sync". So easy whereas with Avid you had to enter the frames and figure if it was ahead or behind. FCP made that so simple.

But I would be genuinely interested to know who and how and why the call was made to not include some of those very basic functions.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Dec 14, 2013 at 3:59:13 pm
Last Edited By Marcus Moore on Dec 14, 2013 at 3:59:53 pm

All I'm saying is when you have a list of 1,000 "must have's", and a limited amount of time to do them in, unquestionably "essential" stuff is going to get left off the list.

Of course joining thru edits are important, but so is multi cam, broadcast monitoring, XML, or any number of other things that didn't make it into the first release.

To make my position crystal clear, I still believe the best way to have managed this 7 to X transition would have been to position it more like OS9 to OSX, where Final Cut users could track the progress of development and jump on when the software had the features they needed.

In a way, that's what they did- just not in a very clear or PR friendly way. ;)

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 14, 2013 at 4:18:51 pm

I have to admit I find the editing process more fun with X. I enjoy working with it now. Sometimes I find dragging from event browser to timeline a bit clunky but old habits die hard.

It works better with keyboard shortcuts.

And I have advanced because it has enabled me to advance. It's made stuff more accessible. In a way it has encouraged me to try stuff though making it more intuitive and approachable.

I actually love the trackless way it handles audio now.

18 months ago I was ready to commit myself to a mental asylum!

I am absolutely sure they will release on Xmas Eve.

In fact I'm going to see if I can get a bet on it.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 14, 2013 at 4:50:01 am

I'm expecting everything to work with no silly bugs.

A scrolling timeline...some of the simple things.

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Dec 13, 2013 at 10:56:36 pm

Merry Christmas one and all!

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Dec 13, 2013 at 11:11:24 pm

Unless someone or something twists my arm way behind my back I am not buying anything that is announced in December. I'll wait six to eight or even twelve months. And then they better give me what I had two years ago.

Tim

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Dec 13, 2013 at 11:18:59 pm

And if I do order anything at the outset then free shipping better cover three thousand dollars.

Tim

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 14, 2013 at 5:00:09 am

Why would you wish that? You'd want FCP 7? Or an old MacPro tower?

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Dec 14, 2013 at 11:01:49 am

I wish I could wait that long but I need this one badly. I wont buy immediately, I want to wait and see how people are reacting to different configurations but I won't be waiting long. My old imac is driving me nuts.

I don't really need the FCPX 10.1 update though, everythings going fine. The only real wish I have is proper roundtripping with LogicX

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 14, 2013 at 5:00:56 am

Tis the season for SHARING. Project sharing that is.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]