FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compound Clips in a Multicam Edit

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tammy Briody
Compound Clips in a Multicam Edit
on Dec 13, 2013 at 2:31:35 am

Can someone please help. I just started using FCPX. I had created a compound audio clip and used it to make a multiclip along with 4 camera angles. During editing the multiclip I double clicked the compound audio clip so I could mix the audio. Now I go back to the multiclip and there is no sound for my compound audio. I checked to make sure the tracks were all enabled. I then decided to just copy and paste the broken clips from the compound clip into the project that has my multiclip but it will not go on as a connected clip it wants to be the main story line. Any help would be deeply appreciated!!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Compound Clips in a Multicam Edit
on Dec 13, 2013 at 5:34:59 am

First, try pasting as a connected clip. I think the command is command option v. I am away from the machine right now.

Also, why did you need to compound audio in the first place? Perhaps there's a more convenient way. You can add audio to a separate angle or angles and choose those angles for audio playback. Fcpx can sync these too.

The best part is, you can add these audio angles to your current multiclip and fix it.

Return to posts index

Tammy Briody
on Dec 13, 2013 at 1:56:25 pm

I did try the paste as connected clip - but it did not paste as connected clip.

I can not get the audio sync to work for multicam even when I put a marker near the place they should sync. I had to sync everything using a marker only.

I have looked at several tutorials/books and it appears multicam only allows you to use one audio source that is why I made a compound audio source clip. I need to use all my soruces because I record the String quartet on on source, officiant on another, readers on another and groom on another. I need to mix all these audio sources together.

I did find a tutorial that showed how you could copy all your audio sources from a multicam and paste them on the project timeline so you could mix them so I am going to go that route.

I still do not understand why I could not paste the compound clip as a connected clip.

If there is an easier way - I would love to hear about it.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 13, 2013 at 4:56:22 pm

[Tammy Briody] "I have looked at several tutorials/books and it appears multicam only allows you to use one audio source that is why I made a compound audio source clip. I need to use all my soruces because I record the String quartet on on source, officiant on another, readers on another and groom on another. I need to mix all these audio sources together."

One suggestion would be to make a polyphonic file, which is to say, one file that has all of your channels of the recording, and sync that in a multi clip angle.

If not you can certainly listen to whatever channels you want from separate or combined audio only angles, in the multilcip, and not just one at a time.

Here's a multiclip I made just yesterday to get some window burns made. The video has 8 channels of audio, and there's two files of four channel audio (16 channels of available audio). For now, I just need a few channels for transcription.

Here's how I have it setup in the inspector:

Here's what the multiclip looks like which only has one angle for now. Later, I will add and sync a second camera angle:

In the timeline, I can mix whatever channels I'd like by expanding the audio components like this:

I can the turn on more channels, and use those in the mix too:

Here's the inspector:

Here's the corresponding timeline:

Multiclips in FCPX are wicked powerful.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Dec 13, 2013 at 5:25:32 pm

Yeah, you can use as many audio sources as you like.

One thing that definitely helps multi cam work better for syncing is labelling your audio channels in the "Camera Name" field of the Info tab of the inspector.

Label all your mics/cameras with specific names (Camera A, Camera B, Boom Mic, Lav, etc..), and it will keep all audio that has the same source name on the same angle of the multi cam.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]