FORUMS: list search recent posts

Musings on Year End Delivery...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Davis
Musings on Year End Delivery...
on Dec 12, 2013 at 8:51:05 pm

Was thinking this morning about the December delivery stuff regarding X and the new MacPro...

And thinking that once upon a time, Apple stuff sold to the US - then slowly rolled out to the rest of the world over time.

Now, from day ONE - that MacPro order is every bit as likely to come from Dusseldorf as from Dallas.

Apple manufacturing and delivery is a global game

In conjunction, it's interesting to note that in Apple's "use case" examples, it's the same thing. Sure you've got "Leverage" from the US west coast. But right beside that you've got Pro examples from all around the globe.

I wonder how the US now actually factors in Apple's sales projections. Are we still the monster we used to be? Or are other places that have populations that seem to be doing relatively better financially than the US (at least in terms of disposable income across the broad population) a larger market than the US now in terms of viable market for something like a MacPro?

The US production industry has certainly been FROSTY with regards to X and Apple for a while. Are other markets similar? Or are they more welcoming and therefore increasingly competing with we US editors for market force?

I wonder how that plays out in the MacPro initial sales effort. I'm ignorant of how "end of year" tax issues are structured in Beruit compared to Baltimore. Is Dec 31 the same thing everywhere?

I know that corporations are often decoupled from the calendar via "fiscal year" accounting - so Dec31 is just another date.

I know with my little web show - I've had to adapt to the reality that my audience is not all just like me. So the "thanksgiving show" means nothing more to a viewer in Aberdeen than a "boxing day" show does for a viewer in Alaska.

Interesting to speculate about this stuff while we're all waiting for our shiny new toys to hit the market..

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Musings on Year End Delivery...
on Dec 12, 2013 at 11:29:22 pm

[Bill Davis] "Is Dec 31 the same thing everywhere?"

I think it's 31 Dec in most other places.

[Bill Davis] "I wonder how the US now actually factors in Apple's sales projections. Are we still the monster we used to be? "

I haven't seen long term past history but Apple computer sales ranks higher in the USA than in the global market.

[Bill Davis] "Now, from day ONE - that MacPro order is every bit as likely to come from Dusseldorf as from Dallas."

Given the MacPro is manufactured in the USA, the shipping cost might be cheaper and delivery to retailers might be faster. Then there's the apparent problem that Apple's products in many other countries are priced higher, sometimes significantly higher, than in the USA FWIW.

USA is probably still the best for gross sales but that may be different than sales per capita.

[Bill Davis] "The US production industry has certainly been FROSTY with regards to X "

I wonder how well Apple is doing in "Bollywood" by comparison.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Dec 12, 2013 at 11:32:01 pm

[Bill Davis] "I'm ignorant of how "end of year" tax issues are structured in Beruit compared to Baltimore. Is Dec 31 the same thing everywhere?

I know that corporations are often decoupled from the calendar via "fiscal year" accounting - so Dec31 is just another date."

Can’t speak for the world, but in Canada you can choose your fiscal year-end date for your business and it doesn’t have to be Dec 31st. Most people do choose a different date for obvious reasons. You can also change that date once by declaring a short year and then beginning a new 12 month fiscal year.

Notably, For Apple Inc, Dec 31st is the end of its first quarter so they aren’t under the same time pressure in terms of trying to meet that deadline as it has really no affect on their fiscal year performance.

Thinking about your original train of thought, the world outside the US now accounts for a majority of their revenue now and that may not be much different when it comes to Mac Pro sales either.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Dec 13, 2013 at 3:00:17 am

In India the financial year runs Apr 01 to Mar 31 so we can buy the MacPro in Jan even Feb and still claim depreciation.
In India, Apple does not sell or provide any custom configs. These have to be imported.
Apple had no return policy in India. Sales are final.

Most Macs reach India anywhere between 1-4 weeks after they are launched in the US. So for us, the MacPro is looking like Feb 2014 already.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 13, 2013 at 1:25:01 pm
Last Edited By Craig Seeman on Dec 13, 2013 at 1:27:33 pm

There does seem to be the ability to find dedicated resellers.
http://www.apple.com/in/buy/

On this seems to explain the situation.
http://www.ibtimes.com/apple-open-130-new-stores-india-1151631

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Dec 13, 2013 at 3:01:18 am

The US production industry has certainly been FROSTY with regards to X and Apple for a while. Are other markets similar? Or are they more welcoming and therefore increasingly competing with we US editors for market force?

A friend of mine that runs a VFX house tells me he'll still use his old macs but can no longer commit to any software that is not cross platform. So rather than a new mac pro he's having custom Windows boxes built and FCP7 was the end of the line for mac based editorial. Not a reflection on FCPX just the reality of now dealing with other shops/artists/clients from all over the world.

Return to posts index

Russ Haskell
on Dec 13, 2013 at 3:09:26 pm

Just to observe that on the FCPX Apple Discussion boards there is a pretty high proportion of non-US posters. (As a guess, maybe one out of four?) Don't know how indicative that is about usage in non domestic markets…perhaps it only reflects the limited options for support overseas. But the software seems to have at least a toehold in many markets outside the US.

Russ

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]