FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which format for lagless editing?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Samuel Féron
Which format for lagless editing?
on Dec 10, 2013 at 9:05:45 pm

Hi guys
I think I have a fairly simple question for you but I couldn't find any obvious solution for it in this forum:

I have loads of .AVI files imported raw from a simple HD cam recorder. No matter what format I convert them to with my MacX DVD Video Converter (in able to edit them in FCPX) the files begin lagging when I edit them.

Any idea to which conversion settings are the most optimal for the .AVI files so it won't lag when I edit them?

Thanks!
/Sam

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: Which format for lagless editing?
on Dec 10, 2013 at 9:14:00 pm

what about apple pro res?!

Return to posts index

Samuel Féron
on Dec 10, 2013 at 9:25:52 pm

Is that the equivalent of HD MOV? (Sorry for the stupid question)

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Dec 10, 2013 at 9:47:07 pm

Samuel,
quicktime MOV is a wrapper or container-format that could contain different codecs in it, for example H264, apple pro res, motion-jpeg and so on....

a container is the same like bread: there are different breads, grey ones, black ones, with cereals or not...

I guess your application will transcode your AVI to H264-quicktime mov, because there is AAC-audio within the setting, which is a part of the H264-standart.

cu

danny

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 10, 2013 at 10:20:57 pm

MacX DVD Video Converter is seriously WRONG. MOV is NOT A CODEC. MOV, AVI, MXF...those are WRAPPERS. Canisters if you will, that contain any number of codecs.

I see TO APPLE as a tab...what options do you have in there? ProRes 422 is your best bet.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Dec 10, 2013 at 9:29:45 pm

First of all, no simple camcorder records in raw .AVI files...so you should give the make and model of the camcorder and what you originally did to generate these "raw" .AVI files (I assume you mean uncompressed?)

This is necessary because I feel that we're about to introduce some generation loss in this footage.

Return to posts index

Samuel Féron
on Dec 10, 2013 at 10:24:43 pm

Thanks for your replies. Later this week I'll know exactly what cam was used.
Here is the "To Apple --> iMovie" tab:

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 10, 2013 at 10:25:40 pm

iMovie doesn't do MPEG4...it does Apple Intermediate...

This app is VERY consumer level.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Glenn Grant
on Dec 10, 2013 at 10:45:43 pm

Instead of the app you have there you might try "mpeg stream clip" http://www.squared5.com This is a free download.

That will allow you to convert to Apple Pro Res with the .mov extension. As long as you have enough memory and a fast enough drive, you won't have any issue speed.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 11, 2013 at 12:38:25 am

You're thinking of iMovie from like 5 or 6 years ago I think.

Return to posts index

Samuel Féron
on Dec 12, 2013 at 5:13:36 pm

Gary Huff —> By “raw” I mean imported (dragged and dropped) directly from the camera… So yeah, uncompressed as well. I know the camera model now by the way: Medion Life x47023 (MD 86423)

Glenn Grant —> Nice app! I converted the files to MPEG using the MacX DVD Video Converter (since MPEG Streamclip doesn’t take AVI) and converted the MPEG files to Apple Pro Res with .mov extension, as you said. The problem is that a small file with the duration of 30 seconds and the size of 44 MB in MPEG now fills up nearly 500 MB in Pro Res! And I have loads of these files to edit in FCPX. Surely there must a way to which I can convert to a smaller Pro Res size?

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jan 12, 2014 at 3:34:40 am

[Samuel Féron] " By “raw” I mean imported (dragged and dropped) directly from the camera… So yeah, uncompressed as well."

Actually, it's neither. From what I can tell, the Medion Life camera shoots MPEG-4 (not uncompressed). In an AVI container? Surely you can set it to record to an MOV container.

What you need to do is delete the crappy MacX DVD Video Converter software off your Mac, set your camera to record to MPEG-4 .MOV files, and use MPEG Streamclip to transcode to ProRes LT.

Return to posts index

Samuel Féron
on Jan 12, 2014 at 1:16:41 pm

Thanks a lot for your reply.
Record to .mov in stead? All right, I suppose that requires another cable than the mini USB I've got. I'll go looking for it. Because the only files that are on the SD card now are .avi files.
I'll keep the post updated. Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]