FORUMS: list search recent posts

Internet News Provider using FCP X

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Field
Internet News Provider using FCP X
on Dec 10, 2013 at 6:48:35 pm

Watch video - about 45 seconds in - Scripps just paid 35 million to buy the AP/News provider

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALpSZd10-p0#t=45

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
Re: Internet News Provider using FCP 7
on Dec 10, 2013 at 6:59:30 pm

[Andy Field] "Watch video - about 45 seconds in"

Andy,

They're also pointing the way to the future about 65 seconds in ...

Franz.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 10, 2013 at 7:18:44 pm

So to get a job in the year 2014, all you need to be is...

Young and telegenic and fresh and be able to write, shoot, edit, do motion graphics, compress, and deliver 42 videos a day (1500 divided by a staff of 35) on a starting salary that may let you cover your big city rent provided you have 3 roommates.

Great times to be in media production!

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 10, 2013 at 7:30:51 pm

Reporters need to be able to focus on getting the news stories, VETTING them, making sure they corroborate the information they recieve, and be able to write it well.

Oh...but not in todays "news" world, where content over truth is king.

To then require them to edit and do graphics and a decent audio mix...Yeah, who has time to properly vet or resource anything?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Phil Hoppes
on Dec 10, 2013 at 7:38:04 pm

".... VETTING them, making sure they corroborate the information they recieve, and be able to write it well"

ROTFLMAO

You are talking about modern news agencies?????????

Marshall McLuhan had the last laugh.

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Dec 10, 2013 at 7:59:10 pm

Well said Shane! News isn't about how flexible - its about the stories you find and the resources you have in the field.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Dec 11, 2013 at 5:11:31 pm

[Shane Ross] "Yeah, who has time to properly vet or resource anything?"

Shane has nailed it. There is no vetting. I remember when we all laughed at the notion that "if it bleeds, it leads". Turns out, those were the good old days...

Unfortunately, the vast majority of Americans believe everything that Biff and Bambi say in the media. Never mind that Biff and Bambi know nothing about anything they're reporting on.

I spend time talking to a lot of younger people and I'm amazed at how little they know about anything. It doesn't matter what current event, they have half the information if I'm lucky, and forget knowing anything about any history before their birth.

I asked one young guy wearing a Che Guevara Shirt "Where do you get a T-Shirt with a mass murderer on it"? His response was "what?". He knew absolutely nothing about Che, he just bought it because it was in his words "a fashion statement". When I gave him a history lesson (both sides) he was speechless.

This last week at the pub, a guy who lived in South Africa was filling in the blanks on the other side of Nelson Mandela. I could tell that everyone at the table hadn't heard any of this. They only knew the fairytale version of Mandela's life. I appreciate many things about Mandela, but I also knew the other side of him.

I think knowing things help you to appreciate them more...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Dec 10, 2013 at 7:34:27 pm
Last Edited By Franz Bieberkopf on Dec 10, 2013 at 7:36:54 pm

[Bill Davis] "... (1500 divided by a staff of 35)"

Bill,

Your math is off. (1500 / month not per day, so by your calculations that's 42 videos per month, or about 2 a day).

On a wider note, I've watched the video and I'm still not sure what these people do.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Dec 10, 2013 at 7:37:35 pm

Did they edit this video on FCPX because the last 3 edits are a mess... One is cut too close and the other is too loose at the end.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 10, 2013 at 8:39:10 pm

[Brian Mulligan] " Did they edit this video on FCPX because the last 3 edits are a mess... One is cut too close and the other is too loose at the end."

That's the editor...not the NLE, and yeah, they are pretty sloppy.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 10, 2013 at 7:53:50 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Dec 10, 2013 at 7:59:27 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "Bill,

Your math is off. (1500 / month not per day, so by your calculations that's 42 videos per month, or about 2 a day).

On a wider note, I've watched the video and I'm still not sure what these people do.

Franz."

Mea Culpa.

As to what they do, I suspect they largely take content from the new "newsfeed aggregators" -and re-package it into bite sizes news stories that are mobile friendly.

About half a mile from where I live, one of those huge aggregators is located - they have feeds from all around the globe, and produce the "stories" that show up on your local newscasts around the country every day and night. The fiction that your local TV station is creating the majority of their newscast content the way they used to - by sending reporters out into the streets to gather content is exactly that - it's fiction.

Next time you watch your local news - watch it with an eye to what's truly local. If it's more than 10-20% locally generated I'd be surprised.

Similarly, when something happens of note - a big high profile trial or a large visually attractive disaster - it goes up to the same service and news directors all over the planet can tap into that stream and run it if it's "sexy" enough.

The sad thing is that what's now "news" is no longer the most important or the most informative stories for the local audience, it's the cute waterskiing squirrel footage from Orlando. Cuz that draws more eyeballs than the boring city council meeting where they just quietly gave the city trash hauling contract to the Mayor's brother in law.

Now if somebody happens to have an iPhone grabbing video in that meeting - AND if somebody knows that "Unified Trash Technologies" is in fact, Mayor connected - then there's a chance you might find out about it. But without video, it hardly exists anymore as far as news goes.

The service referenced here is just the dawn of the "internet first" video feed era - reflecting precisely the same business model that has already changed the broadcast industry, IMO.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Dec 10, 2013 at 8:36:38 pm

Next time you watch your local news - watch it with an eye to what's truly local. If it's more than 10-20% locally generated I'd be surprised.

90% of our local news IS local. {indianapolis DMA #26]

Brian Mulligan

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 11, 2013 at 4:03:37 am

[Brian Mulligan] "90% of our local news IS local. {indianapolis DMA #26]
"

How many field crews do you still have on the streets? Got to be quite a few to do a live newscast without resorting to lots of "packages."

Still, props to you. It's clearly the best way to keep local people up on what's happening in their back yard.

I wonder if it's a bit bout competition and market size.

Arbitron had you guys ranked 40th. I'm in Phx where we were 14th (at least in 2012)

Last few times I was around a field crew, it was some poor guy was dragging a camera, sticks and a mic and not just shooting but doing his own interviews as "one man band" coverage.

That's territory for the young folk. God bless 'em.

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Dec 11, 2013 at 2:22:14 pm

We have 25+ Photographers/Editors and 15+ reporters.
There are packages in the newscast but they are all shot and edited locally about local events.

Arbitron measures radio as far was I know.
Nielsen measures TV.

http://www.nielsen.com/content/dam/corporate/us/en/docs/solutions/measureme...

Brian Mulligan

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 12, 2013 at 12:14:09 am

[Brian Mulligan] "We have 25+ Photographers/Editors and 15+ reporters.
There are packages in the newscast but they are all shot and edited locally about local events.

Arbitron measures radio as far was I know.
Nielsen measures TV."

A - Long may you run and keep those crews employed!

B - Duh. I've quoted AC Neilson stats so many times that I think my brain flew away. Should have auto-uderstood that when you noted DMA rather than ADI.

(Can you tell in my youth I ran an ad agency with a media buyer who did weekly presentations for both radio and TV buys in the same meetings?)

Sorry for my sloppiness. Rough week.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Dec 10, 2013 at 8:01:51 pm
Last Edited By Shawn Miller on Dec 10, 2013 at 8:05:43 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "On a wider note, I've watched the video and I'm still not sure what these people do."

I thought it was a canned news service... send them a story and they'll polish up your copy, shoot a "reporter" telling the story, add b-roll and graphics and then send it out via the news aggregates... I assumed that because they mentioned "delighting customers like Microsoft, AOL/Huffuington Post and Mashable"... I don't think they investigate and vet stories, as much as they polish up and distribute them. That's my guess anyway.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 10, 2013 at 8:07:30 pm

I've edited these "canned news stories" before...pushing products disguised as a news story. I didn't do it for long...

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Dec 10, 2013 at 8:07:39 pm

Shawn -

It sounds to me as if they're a VNR producer, just a step above a sausage factory, but without the taste.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Dec 10, 2013 at 8:15:18 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "Shawn -

It sounds to me as if they're a VNR producer, just a step above a sausage factory, but without the taste."

Sounds right, I like the way you describe it. :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Dec 10, 2013 at 8:18:10 pm
Last Edited By Andy Field on Dec 10, 2013 at 8:19:09 pm

what they do is repackage other's actual original reporting for much of their output...agree with Shane - having worked as a local and network news reporter who transitioned to a Preditor (producer editor)...the content suffers...little time to double check sources, facts.....having to leave the scene of a news event to put the spot together, etc....have been fortunate not to have to shoot as well..yet.....

it's simply not possible to do all three jobs well....unfortunately, the economic model that supported the division of labor no longer exists....it did 30 years ago with 3 major networks dividing a 1/3 of the ad revenue....not as well when they are part of a 600 channel universe as well as infinite competition on the web

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Dec 10, 2013 at 8:05:58 pm

Bill -

I worked at a broadcast facility for fourteen years, and for at least 10 of those years the news was nothing but infotainment, and national stories produced by the parent company's DC bureau.

And in your requirements above, you forgot "must be willing to work only 35 paid hours a week so the company doesn't have to pay benefits." Oh yes..."and if you're a shooter, you must provide your own camera".

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Dec 10, 2013 at 8:15:02 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "And in your requirements above, you forgot "must be willing to work only 35 paid hours a week so the company doesn't have to pay benefits." "

More common solution is that you are hired as a freelancer for an indefinite period of time (aka 'permalancer'). No cap on hours and no benefits.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Dec 10, 2013 at 11:55:50 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "I worked at a broadcast facility for fourteen years, and for at least 10 of those years the news was nothing but infotainment, and national stories produced by the parent company's DC bureau."

Having also worked in news, that's how I consider it. Will people just ultimately end up bored with it knowing that it's all for entertainment, and otherwise useless?

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Dec 11, 2013 at 1:13:05 am

[Gary Huff] "Will people just ultimately end up bored with it knowing that it's all for entertainment, and otherwise useless?"

I don't think so, people like having their feelings and opinions validated. Pick the "news" that you agree with, and ignore the facts that make you uncomfortable. Seems to be working so far... :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Dec 11, 2013 at 2:17:14 am

Gary -

I think it depends on who you mean by "people". The average viewer (who was it who said "the masses are asses"?) still thinks it's news, delivered in tiny, palatable, story-oids, easy on the brain, with little processing required.

I'm not being elitist here, but I do think that there are wildly diverse audiences out there; some, who just wish to have their opinions verified, and those who seek more detail, so that they can make the decision on the story themselves (in stories which are more than just who, what, when, where, how). The station I worked at, which has had a monopoly in New Hampshire for years, is considered by many viewers to be a joke, full of typos, misinformation, mispronunciation, and bush-league reportage. I watch it for the weather, which is right about half the time...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 11, 2013 at 1:49:42 am

[Franz Bieberkopf] "They're also pointing the way to the future about 65 seconds in ..."

Not only the future, but the future of graphics!

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Dec 11, 2013 at 4:40:12 am

I think most TV news should be thought of as entertainment. The story content is mostly in the audio and there aren't many words in a 2 minute story. Hurricanes and tornadoes are interesting to look at, but a story on inflation with money being printed? In the SF Bay the local news is mostly crime reporting, yuck. Although the Chronicle has degraded, I still prefer to read the news rather than watch it. Most of the under 30 get their "news" on the internet these days or maybe on the Jon Stewart show.

Return to posts index

tony west
on Dec 11, 2013 at 2:51:23 pm
Last Edited By tony west on Dec 11, 2013 at 4:10:17 pm

That is pretty much my take on local news

Up first local Crime and death, then weather and then sports.

Local news is starting to take their cue from National news in as far as it became clear that we couldn't really do a national story that made a major corporation mad, because they may want to go to that corp for ads in the future.

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Dec 11, 2013 at 10:26:20 pm

Actually local news director will tell you they'd grab bigger audiences if they could run non stop weather (and mother nature helped by making it bad, cold, windy etc) Crime coverage is easy and quick - perfect for one man ban smaller staffs. President Reagan's FCC deregulated stations - they no longer needed to create news programs to serve the public interest - that there was plenty of competition and choice with cable and satellite - so owners said - "time for you to make money" Adios ponderous thoughtful pieces, 45 second soundbites and stodgy anchors and delivery. Hello Infotainment. Been a long downhill ride since then.

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]