FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple Selling IGZO Sharp 4K monitor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glenn Grant
Apple Selling IGZO Sharp 4K monitor
on Dec 6, 2013 at 10:05:19 pm

I guess we won't be seeing a 4K monitor from Apple along side the new Mac Pro.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/12/06/in-lieu-of-a-retina-thunderbolt-d...

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Apple Selling IGZO Sharp 4K monitor
on Dec 6, 2013 at 10:21:17 pm

Nice and cheap too. :)

The monitor costs more than the MacPro!

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Dec 7, 2013 at 3:03:55 am

That's not entirely unprecedented.

Back in 2004 the 30" ACD cost $3,299. At or above the base PowerMacG4 of the time, I think.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Dec 7, 2013 at 5:32:41 pm

The Apple Cinema HD 23” display was originally $3,499 according to Mactracker. I paid less than that if memory serves me but I remember the monitor cost $300 more than the outfitted PowerMac G5 Dual 2 GHz I bought with it. That monitor is still my secondary display off my iMac.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Dec 7, 2013 at 5:11:59 am

[Glenn Grant] "I guess we won't be seeing a 4K monitor from Apple along side the new Mac Pro."

So, here's something odd. One of the photos of that display in the store showed it next to something that looked exactly like the current generation Time Capsule... in much the same way one would expect to see a display photographed next to a desktop computer. Maybe it was just there for scale or something... but there has also been speculation about a next-generation Mac mini with that form factor.

Why am I talking in past tense? Well, just to make things even more intriguing, the listing for the display now seems to have been pulled.

Did Apple just accidentally spill the beans on a next-generation 4K-capable Mac mini?

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Glenn Grant
on Dec 8, 2013 at 5:16:09 pm

Interesting theory. I think the fact that they have taken the monitors off the site means we can expect Mac Pros This Tuesday.

Next Tuesday the 17th would be nice because that's my birthday. It would be like Tim Cook and God got together to say "We love you Glenn"

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 8, 2013 at 7:34:53 pm

Interesting that the Sharp display is gone from the Apple Store so soon after appearing there.

I have to think that Apple will be updating their own displays even pre 4K. The current Thunderbolt display has Firewire 800 and USB2. I expect that will be updated to Thunderbolt 2 and USB3 (by to Firewire).

It's interesting that the Sharp display went away so quickly though. Perhaps they decided they didn't want to sell a competing monitor as a new (not necessarily 4k) Apple Display will be coming out with the MacPro.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Dec 8, 2013 at 8:08:10 pm

[Craig Seeman] "It's interesting that the Sharp display went away so quickly though. Perhaps they decided they didn't want to sell a competing monitor as a new (not necessarily 4k) Apple Display will be coming out with the MacPro."

I hope that's the case. As you've pointed out, the current Thunderbolt display is really long in the tooth. Those port upgrades are especially essential for new retina laptop users who need to use the monitor as a dock. That's what I'm waiting on. 4K would be nice but Thunderbolt 2 and USB3 are way more important.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Dec 8, 2013 at 9:42:18 pm

I can't see how Apple selling any 3rd party 4K display is anything other than a sign that their own 4KACD isn't ready yet.

Apple doesn't sell any other displays at the standard resolution- so it's definitely not typical for them to sell competing products in that category.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 8, 2013 at 10:16:12 pm

[Marcus Moore] "I can't see how Apple selling any 3rd party 4K display is anything other than a sign that their own 4KACD isn't ready yet."

But it seems they are no longer selling the Sharp display as far as I can tell. It seems it was pulled from the store rather quickly.

So either than means the 4K is ready or, at least, they'll have a new ACD ready to go shortly…. possibly followed by a 4K display.

Why do you think the Sharp 4K was pulled so quickly after being listed?

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Dec 8, 2013 at 10:25:33 pm
Last Edited By Marcus Moore on Dec 8, 2013 at 10:28:41 pm

It was noticed on the Apple Store and pulled on pretty much the same day- I don't think anyone was actually able to order it.

I think it was posted prematurely, and pulled when they realized it.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 8, 2013 at 11:32:32 pm

[Marcus Moore] "I think it was posted prematurely, and pulled when they realized it."

Not premature if one has a 2013 15" MBPr which can use 4K now.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Dec 9, 2013 at 12:05:19 am

I agree. But it was spotted on Dec 6 and as far as I can tell pulled before anyone could actually order one from the international stores it popped up on. So it technically never made it "for sale".

So it's not that it's been available, then pulled, which I agree would indicate that Apple's 4K display was on the way. It seems like it was put up on some international stores (by mistake) then pulled when the word got out on December 6th.

Essentially, if this Sharp display is for sale on Apple's store, then I don't see the 4K ACD being available for at least several months.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 9, 2013 at 12:25:27 am
Last Edited By Craig Seeman on Dec 9, 2013 at 12:26:20 am

[Marcus Moore] "Essentially, if this Sharp display is for sale on Apple's store, then I don't see the 4K ACD being available for at least several months."

But why pull it at all if there's reason for people to start buying the Sharp monitor immediately. I don't see a marketing reason to tie it directly to the MacPro release since it's useful now and otherwise people may want to order it now in anticipation of their MacPro purchase. It's not an Apple manufactured product so I don't get the importance of the "reveal" date. In other words, it's not a new product, it's simply a product from another manufacturer now being made available in the Apple Store.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Dec 9, 2013 at 12:54:23 am

[Craig Seeman] " It's not an Apple manufactured product so I don't get the importance of the "reveal" date."

Timing wise, nor do I- but let's not forget that Apple has already created a seemingly artificial common launch date between the MacPro and FCPX 10.1. Technically, they might have been able to launch FCPX weeks ago- but they see a synergy there that they seem keen to exploit. DESPITE the fact that the majority of 10.1 users will very likely NOT be running a MacPro.

While the new rMBP can run a 4K display, 4K has been HEAVILY publicized as a MacPro feature.

I would LOVE for there to be a 4K ACD ready at launch. But the Apple store DOES NOT sell competing display options for it's own Thunderbolt Cinema Display. This Sharp display would be the FIRST third-party display option I can ever remember being offered. That to me says Apple's isn't ready.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
9to5: Removal of Sharp display from Apple Store probably doesn’t mean Apple’s 4K display is imminent
on Dec 9, 2013 at 3:04:48 pm

Removal of Sharp display from Apple Store probably doesn’t mean Apple’s 4K display is imminent
http://9to5mac.com/2013/12/09/removal-of-sharp-display-from-apple-store-pro...

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Dec 9, 2013 at 1:34:50 am

[Craig Seeman] "But why pull it at all if there's reason for people to start buying the Sharp monitor immediately."

To make a bigger marketing/PR splash by 'revealing' everything at once? Edit 4K in FCPX, on your new MP and see every detail on the Sharp 4K display.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Dec 10, 2013 at 1:53:05 am

[Craig Seeman] "But why pull it at all if there's reason for people to start buying the Sharp monitor immediately. I don't see a marketing reason to tie it directly to the MacPro release since it's useful now and otherwise people may want to order it now in anticipation of their MacPro purchase. It's not an Apple manufactured product so I don't get the importance of the "reveal" date. In other words, it's not a new product, it's simply a product from another manufacturer now being made available in the Apple Store."

At the risk of repeating myself from another thread, that is exactly what they're doing with the third party TB2 disk arrays. I think I see a pattern here...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Dec 10, 2013 at 2:40:22 am

2 differences:

One- this display is readily available thru other retailers (and at present isn't available thru Apple)

Two- Apple stocks has loads of 3rd party storage in it's store (since they don't make a solution of their own), while Apple has not, up to now, offered ANY 3rd party display options thru it's own store.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Dec 10, 2013 at 2:54:47 am

[Marcus Moore] "2 differences:

One- this display is readily available thru other retailers (and at present isn't available thru Apple)

Two- Apple stocks has loads of 3rd party storage in it's store (since they don't make a solution of their own), while Apple has not, up to now, offered ANY 3rd party display options thru it's own store."

I get one, but regard to 2... show me the Thunderbolt 2 disk arrays available from Apple?

Mitch Ives

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Dec 10, 2013 at 3:09:05 am

Thunderbolt 2 specifically, no. But storage, and Thunderbolt arrays in general, yes.

I know you've said you had someone from the company say so much as Apple is keeping them from launching- but I'm pessimistic on that point. I don't see how Apple stops them from selling thru other online outlets. And I don't see what Apple gains from waiting to launch it when TB2 products have already been shipping since October.

With these 4K displays, Apple doesn't have to be in a rush to put them up on their site, since they're already available elsewhere for anyone with a rMBP who really wants to hook one up to it. And (if) Apple does indeed sell this sharp display thru it's store, it's an admission that their own 4K product isn't ready. Apple doesn't like giving hints into their pipeline, so they're inclined to delay selling it until they really have to.

We've been around this mulberry bush a couple of times. I know we disagree- let's see what happens. ;)

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Dec 11, 2013 at 5:47:54 pm

Here you go!

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/12/11/first-20gbps-thunderbolt-2-raid-arrays-...

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Dec 11, 2013 at 6:35:22 pm

Yep, December 10th was the latest date I was given that they would finally be allowed to ship them. Looks like the "third times a charm"... after being stopped twice before.

Perhaps you played a part in this? Maybe all this discussion out in "the daylight" got someone to lift the ban early?

It was a bad idea from the start.

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]