FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can Adobe believe its luck?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gerwyn bowen
Can Adobe believe its luck?
on Jun 26, 2011 at 2:42:51 pm

First Avid alienates many die hard supporters with the not-so-smart-tool then Apple causes apoplexy with FCP-X. Seems like lots of people are headed to Adobe!

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
Re: Can Adobe believe its luck?
on Jun 26, 2011 at 3:26:55 pm

Im already there ;-)

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / FCP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Jun 26, 2011 at 3:57:14 pm

Now all they have to do is make I/o work properly with all Aja, bmd and Matrox products.

I know, it should work already, but it doesnt work compared to fcp7

Return to posts index

John Pale
They need a codec
on Jun 26, 2011 at 4:05:51 pm

Yes, I know you can edit ProRes in Premiere, but because it's apple's codec, you cannot capture to it using Blackmagic or AJA. (well, not without FCP installed anyway)

FCP has ProRes, Avid has DNX... Adobe needs a real HD capture codec.

Return to posts index

Christopher Gomersall
Re: They need a codec
on Jun 26, 2011 at 4:33:44 pm

That is the truth!

Kind regards,
Chris Gomersall
http://www.upstairsmedia.com

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jun 26, 2011 at 4:39:50 pm

Its the one big thing thats keeping me from considering Adobe more seriously. I think people have not thought about this issue. They just assume they can keep using ProRes without FCP. Apple only lets you read it without FCP.

Uncompressed HD is out of the question for my work...if JPEG was an adequate substitute, Apple and Avid would not have developed their codecs. It is certainly within Adobe's means to develop a good codec...they need to step up.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 26, 2011 at 5:41:49 pm

[John Pale] "Uncompressed HD is out of the question for my work...if JPEG was an adequate substitute, Apple and Avid would not have developed their codecs. It is certainly within Adobe's means to develop a good codec...they need to step up."

I couldn't believe it when they let CineForm go to GoPro. The only two explanations for that are 1) they're already working on their own codec or 2) someone really, really screwed up.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
on Jun 28, 2011 at 12:27:56 am

"Thank You For Smoking"

---

http://www.peterdv.com

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Jun 26, 2011 at 4:46:54 pm

Do you mean capture codec as in digitizing from tape? Or do you mean an intermediate codec? I assume you mean the latter. As far as a capture from tape codec, Matrox provides a very good iframe codec but not as good as the last iteration of Prores. If you need to capture 10 bit all third parties parties provide uncompressed, which is better than prores.

As far as an intermediate codec it's only needed when needing to render effects with a higher bit order. For those times that I need 10 bit I use uncompressed or AVCIntra 100. If I needed better I could always buy Cineform. But it's true Adobe does not yet provide their own robust intermediate codec.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jun 26, 2011 at 5:08:56 pm

[David Cherniack] "Do you mean capture codec as in digitizing from tape?"

Yes.

[David Cherniack] "If you need to capture 10 bit all third parties parties provide uncompressed, which is better than prores. "

That's insane. Not only does it require massive amounts of storage, the drives must be extremely fast and expensive. Broadcasters generally do not work with uncompressed HD. Its all Pro Res or Avid DNX HD. This is the main reason why those codecs were developed.

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Jun 26, 2011 at 5:38:10 pm

[John Pale] "That's insane. Not only does it require massive amounts of storage, the drives must be extremely fast and expensive. Broadcasters generally do not work with uncompressed HD. Its all Pro Res or Avid DNX HD. This is the main reason why those codecs were developed."

At modern raid speeds and capacities it's hardly insane. I used to do it all the time if I needed the extra quality for effects work. But you can capture to DnxHD in Premiere, and to Prores if you have FCP installed.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jun 26, 2011 at 5:54:37 pm

[David Cherniack] "At modern raid speeds and capacities it's hardly insane. I used to do it all the time if I needed the extra quality for effects work. But you can capture to DnxHD in Premiere, and to Prores if you have FCP installed.
"

Sorry for the tone of my last comment. But really, the massive storage requirements for uncompressed HD are not realistic for full blown shows. Especially if you are a small shop doing multiple shows. There is just way too much media. If we are talking FX work...sure...no problem. The sheer volume of storage needed is much less.

Will DNX HD play out in realtime through a Kona or BMD card? That would be great, since Avid makes the encoder and decoder available for free. Paying for FCP and not using it, just to get the codec, would be a little galling.

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Jun 26, 2011 at 6:04:22 pm

[John Pale] "DNX HD play out in realtime through a Kona or BMD"

I use Matrox and AVCIntra when I need a space-efficient codec but the Mercury Playback Engine should treat them just like any other codec - add CUDA effects and play back in real time out HD-SDI.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jun 26, 2011 at 6:22:07 pm

[David Cherniack] "I use Matrox and AVCIntra when I need a space-efficient codec but the Mercury Playback Engine should treat them just like any other codec - add CUDA effects and play back in real time out HD-SDI."

Thank you. I couldn't seem to find that type of info on Adobe's site. Obviously may FCP users are looking at Adobe these days...but I have not seen this issue addressed.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jun 26, 2011 at 5:40:45 pm

Contact AJA. There is a beta for Adobe products that works.He a link to someone that is using it with PP, AE and PS.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/869716?tstart=0

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / FCP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]