FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reposting Andrew Stone's remarks

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aindreas Gallagher
Reposting Andrew Stone's remarks
on Jun 26, 2011 at 1:03:04 pm

They're down in the apple employee discusses thread -
they pretty much ring like a bell, and well, they make for some rather grim reading.

------------------------------------------------------------

Clear path for FCPX for the industry?! Kidding right? The industry will not wait for Apple to fix FCPX. That is not the way business works.

Apple has demonstrated to the industry (I mean big production houses that cannot be as nimble as freelancers) that as a supplier Apple is high risk. Even if Apple were to reinstate FCP 7 and continue it's software development path, the relationship, trust and low level of risk mitigation is GONE.

You will notice most people who now use FCP are now making either serious contingency plans or have begun their migration to PP or AVID MC.

Steadicam - Camera Operator

-------------------------------------------

I'm trying to remember the sequence of events around AVID dropping Mac support. I think that was after FCP had been out for a bit. Regardless, I really do not intend to be drawing comparisons to AVID in what I am talking about.

I am talking about companies that have a corporate mindset. Suppliers, vendors that come on board go through a careful internal vetting process in these large companies. A supplier or vendor gets goofy, they are gone in the blink of an eye and a good portion of the video industry, the film industry is in fact very corporate in the way they operate. They have to as the supply chain is huge and the product is in many ways ephemeral and fraught with huge amounts of risk in the production process. Unlike say traditional manufacturing. We all know this. So when a company that supplies an essential tool to the supply chain says, out and out and without warning, "we are no longer selling you the product, even if you want it", things go sideways fast especially when millions of dollars are at stake, completion guarantees and other insurance matters.

Most (not all) here in forum land aren't exposed to this world at all but you can bet high placed people are tearing new ones in people very high up in Apple and given the CEO's placement as the head of Pixar, I am sure he has received more than a few phone calls and even visits in the past 48 hours.

Think about other software companies that develop software for big business. Microsoft as an example. They go out of their way to make sure their software development structure doesn't leave big business stranded by EOLing software without years of notice. Final Cut Pro had become part of the big business of television and the film industry and Apple killed it in a press release without advance warning. Corporate thinking machines don't let vendors "get it right" after they gored the client.

This to me is the real story and the area for concern.

--------------------------------------------------

Craig we are essentially coming to the same conclusion but with different points. Pulling FCP/Studio is the tragic mistake of Apple out of this whole episode. The repercussion of this move will take years to undo, if they choose to continue with serving the pro market say 5 to 10 years from now. Just like as you have mentioned with AVID. How long did it take for them to recover and they had to change their business model in order to gain market share again?

--------------------------------------

Fun read right?

So... I think I'm going for this? http://bit.ly/lorvGw,

I think - think - it's going to be more PPRO than Avid appearing now around my way, Christ I hope so anyway, I tried Avid express on my old PC laptop for a stint, and God but I really didn't find it pleasant at all. Right - well then.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Jean-Fran├žois Robichaud
Re: Reposting Andrew Stone's remarks
on Jun 26, 2011 at 6:18:13 pm

I have fond memories of PPRO (I even had good times with the dreadfully unstable Premiere 6.5). Switched to FCP exclusively a few years ago not by preference but because I could no longer afford to be the odd one out in my industry; everybody around me was using FCP. I felt FCP had a much weaker timeline, bad text support, very unintuive menu system (some tools seemed to be arbitrarily distributed within menus), strange bugs in its interaction with external devices, etc. Then again, at first, I was focusing on its weaknesses and not really seeing its strengths. I warmed up to it over time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]