FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dec 2nd - Where is my new Mac Pro and updated FCPX?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Dobson
Dec 2nd - Where is my new Mac Pro and updated FCPX?
on Dec 2, 2013 at 8:28:21 am

After waiting all these years for an updated Mac Pro and waiting well over a year for a substantial FCPX update is Apple going to run this one all the way through December?

There are still many unanswered questions about the costs of customising the new Mac Pro and no doubt there will be quite a backlog for special builds.

And there are even more mysteries surrounding the new FCPX update. Paid or free ? Substantial new version or multiple tweaking of what's there already?

Apart from Apple the only people who know these answers are the usual suspects that will release training materials to coincide with the release so no doubt the likes of Ripple Training, Larry Jordan and Michael Wohl already know the answers to these questions and are poised to hit their upload buttons on the release date.

My own speculation is that the new Mac Pro and updated FCPX will be released in the second week of December, any day to close to Christmas could be problematic in terms of distribution and product support.

But I wouldn't bet on it.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
Re: Dec 2nd - Where is my new Mac Pro and updated FCPX?
on Dec 2, 2013 at 10:07:40 am
Last Edited By David Mathis on Dec 2, 2013 at 10:30:11 am

I am guessing it will be out in another couple of weeks. Hopefully in time for Santa to bring one down the chimney in which case he will get a nice vintage wine, cheese, and crackers. Perhaps a nice steak dinner would be in order.

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Dec 2, 2013 at 10:35:20 am

We won't be purchasing until we start to see benchmark testing on the main models and most obvious upgrades. Mid January for an order with a delivery in Feb should be about right!

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Dec 2, 2013 at 2:50:52 pm

Mark, see my thread below on additional MacPro pricing info that was given to me by Apple (probably prematurely).

It will be interesting to see if having Apple's assembly centre in the US has any measurable effect on BTO ship times.

As for X, the FCPX dev team hasn't spent the last 15 months doing just optimizations for the MacPro- a machine that will likely only represent a single digit percentage of overall FCPX users. Alex4D's articles point to some foundational changes and some new features. But I think we'll see some interesting surprises too.

As for delivery, soon. Tomorrow or next Tues for sure. If these were consumer products Apple would never have let the release run this late, but since Apple isn't worried about the "Holiday rush" on MacPro and FCPX sales, it's a special case.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 2, 2013 at 6:33:17 pm

[Marcus Moore] "Apple isn't worried about the "Holiday rush" on MacPro and FCPX sales, it's a special case."

Although some of us business are looking for some tax deductions and buying in December vs January is a major tax decision.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Dec 2, 2013 at 8:27:34 pm

Agreed. But there's a difference between launching in time for holiday shopping and year end.

As long as you hit the "buy" button before the end of this year- you're good.

Remember Apple initially conservative estimate on getting the iPadMini Retina out the door. "End of November" is what they promised. But they had that thing on sale by November 12.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 2, 2013 at 8:52:32 pm

[Marcus Moore] "As long as you hit the "buy" button before the end of this year- you're good."

Might not be good until the credit card is charged and often Apple doesn't charge until it ships. Imagine requesting them to "please charge me now."

[Marcus Moore] "Remember Apple initially conservative estimate on getting the iPadMini Retina"

Alternately I'm thinking about what happened with last year's iMac models. There was a long wait on some of them.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Dec 2, 2013 at 8:58:01 pm

That's a mistake I don't see Apple making again.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 2, 2013 at 9:05:19 pm

[Marcus Moore] "That's a mistake I don't see Apple making again."

Which is why they're not posting availability on 8 and 12 cores IMHO. No promise on those because they're not ready. Obviously something has been holding back those being listed for some bit of time now.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Dec 2, 2013 at 9:15:22 pm

Considering my Apple guy was able to configure with those options last week AND give me prices; I don't think that's the case.

But we shall see soon enough.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 2, 2013 at 10:36:57 pm

[Marcus Moore] "Considering my Apple guy was able to configure with those options last week AND give me prices; I don't think that's the case.

But we shall see soon enough."

But was he able to give you a delivery date?
And is he still your Apple guy after breaking an NDA? ;)
So maybe they've locked down the price… but haven't gotten those made yet or otherwise didn't want the public to know details about the 8 and 12 core models… and doesn't that seem "odd" without practical motivation?

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Dec 2, 2013 at 10:43:56 pm

He said that IF they launched this week, I'd get a followup call about nailing down my order.

As for the info- I posted here and at FCP.co, and in a couple of tweets, plus Alex4Ds post; and it never took off in the rumour mills. My claims are unsubstantiated, so I guess it wasn't solid enough for them to run with.

I hope my info isn't bogus. Last thing I want is presenting false info.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Dec 2, 2013 at 11:35:22 pm

[Marcus Moore] "I hope my info isn't bogus. Last thing I want is presenting false info.
"

Dude, you've been quite responsible. No worries.

Return to posts index

Martin Curtis
on Dec 4, 2013 at 12:40:48 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Which is why they're not posting availability on 8 and 12 cores IMHO. No promise on those because they're not ready. "
It's going to be the G4 Yikes! controversy all over again...

Return to posts index

nick ring
on Dec 2, 2013 at 4:50:44 pm

December is here and I had the same thought. Came here and sure enough, here's your conversation starter.

Tomorrow and the 10th both seem reasonable given Apple's release history and the nature of Holiday business. I'm betting on the 10th, just so my antici....pation can be extended.

While I'll drool over the Mac Pro, it's not in my near future (though I am typing this on a lovely new work-supplied rMBP). What the FCPX update/upgrade holds in store is what I am excited for.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 2, 2013 at 7:06:26 pm

There was a prerelease version of the MacPro, but it fetched a rather high price:

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2013/null-n09014/lot.27.html

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Dec 2, 2013 at 7:53:14 pm

My hope is that we can order tonight at midnight. That would be awesome - then the day it ships the new FCPX 10.1 comes out. It's really important that these deliver and bill before the end of the year so that small biz's like our can write them off in our 2013 taxes.

I think end of year tax deduction purchases will help Apple get a nice bump in sales. I think they're very aware of that. I just hope they've made enough of them.

Here's a q - I have one suite that will be specifically for graphics creation and another that will be mostly editing in FCPX. Should I get a 6 core for editing and 12 core for graphics? Based on benchmarks that would get the best performance for each task, right?

j

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 2, 2013 at 8:11:12 pm

[John Davidson] "It's really important that these deliver and bill before the end of the year so that small biz's like our can write them off in our 2013 taxes. "

[John Davidson] "Should I get a 6 core for editing and 12 core for graphics? Based on benchmarks that would get the best performance for each task, right?"

While 4 and 6 core models say coming December in Apple Store, 8 and 12 core not listed at all. I can't help but think they'd be up by now if pricing and availability were going to be this month. Even if the pricing goes online my gut says they won't be immediately available for the end of year tax write off.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Dec 2, 2013 at 8:30:33 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Even if the pricing goes online my gut says they won't be immediately available for the end of year tax write off."

I sure hope you're wrong :).

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Dec 2, 2013 at 8:31:00 pm

No way. I can't see them launching without 8 and 12 core options.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Dec 2, 2013 at 10:36:18 pm

[Craig Seeman] "While 4 and 6 core models say coming December in Apple Store, 8 and 12 core not listed at all. I can't help but think they'd be up by now if pricing and availability were going to be this month. Even if the pricing goes online my gut says they won't be immediately available for the end of year tax write off.
"

That's what my gut says, too.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Dec 2, 2013 at 10:33:54 pm

[John Davidson] "Here's a q - I have one suite that will be specifically for graphics creation and another that will be mostly editing in FCPX. Should I get a 6 core for editing and 12 core for graphics? Based on benchmarks that would get the best performance for each task, right?"

Is GFX AE? If so, do we have a sense of AE's performance on those ATI cards?

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Dec 2, 2013 at 10:39:41 pm

I remember hearing that Adobe's OpenGL performance has improved dramatically, making the no-CUDA card option less damning. But I cannot remember where I heard that.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Dec 2, 2013 at 10:48:22 pm

[Marcus Moore] "I remember hearing that Adobe's OpenGL performance has improved dramatically, making the no-CUDA card option less damning. But I cannot remember where I heard that.
"

That's sort of the general buzz I've heard, too, but I'm not sure of the reality.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Dec 2, 2013 at 11:04:41 pm

It's the same sort of general buzz about RED footage and GPU acceleration we've been hearing for months. It will be interesting to see what comes of all the rumours.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 3, 2013 at 1:34:28 am

[Chris Harlan] "Is GFX AE? If so, do we have a sense of AE's performance on those ATI cards?"

[Marcus Moore] "I remember hearing that Adobe's OpenGL performance has improved dramatically, making the no-CUDA card option less damning. But I cannot remember where I heard that."

There are a few ways that Ae uses the GPU, and it gets a little confusing.

In the past, Ae had an optional and limited OpenGL renderer. It was only ever intended for very fast, low quality previews, and starting with CS6, it's gone.

Currently, Ae uses OpenGL for Fast Draft mode (a speedy alternate to the ray-tracer, which I'll cover in a moment). OpenGL is also used for accelerating screen drawing of UI elements, displaying color management output simulation, and using the exposure controls in the viewer.

In CS6, a new ray-tracing renderer was added. The ray-tracing renderer is not the traditional After Effects renderer. It allows you to extrude text/shape layers, bend footage layers, use environment maps, and create materials which react somewhat realistically to light with true reflections, refraction, and cast shadows. This renderer does not allow blend modes, track mattes, layer styles on any layer, and it does not allow masks or effects on text, shape, or continuously rasterized layers, or on precomps with collapsed transformations.

This is the renderer which offers CUDA acceleration. If no appropriate NVIDIA card is available, the ray-tracing renderer will fall back to a much slower CPU-only mode. Fast Draft previews via OpenGL is available here as above, but this is not a rendering solution.

This ray-tracing renderer is built on an NVIDIA library called OptiX. Support for OpenCL acceleration would only be available for this specific feature if NVIDIA rewrote OptiX to not require CUDA, or if Adobe rewrote the ray-tracing renderer to not require OptiX. As an aside, the commercial availability of high-level libraries like OptiX is a big part of why CUDA has been so much more successful than OpenCL to date: it's just plain easier to develop for.

TL;DR -- any modern GPU will provide Ae the OpenGL acceleration that it uses; a CUDA card is recommended but not required if you want to make use of one specific feature, the ray-tracing renderer.

I am not seeing enough use of the ray-tracing renderer to consider an NVIDIA GPU to be a real-world requirement. I've used the ray-tracer on several projects I produced, but I have yet to do an externally-produced agency project with it. The ray-tracing renderer is painfully limited in a few really important ways, so CINEMA 4D is almost always a better solution (especially now that C4D LITE and CINEWARE are bundled with Ae CC).

It's worth noting that plugins may use the GPU. Ae's own built-in Cartoon effect is OpenGL accelerated. Third-party plugins like Red Giant Software Looks is OpenGL-accelerated. Some software like GenArts Sapphire is CUDA accelerated. Video Copilot Element 3D uses OpenGL and requires a GPU for rendering, and Mettle ShapeShifter/FreeForm Pro use a combination of OpenGL and OpenCL and also require a GPU for rendering.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Dec 3, 2013 at 2:50:14 am

Thank you Walter!

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Dec 3, 2013 at 3:15:31 am

This I understand now. Excellent.

I don't know anyone who uses the ray-trace renderer in Ae. Either the use Element and fudge things, or just jump into Cinema4D.

Easy and fast setup of refections, shadows, etc. is one of the things that really attracted me to Motion. And motionVFXs mObject is bringing some of the same Element3D functionality to the application later this year.

While I'm very excited to see what happens with FCPX, I'm almost more excited to see a big Motion update- cause I have no idea what that would include, other than performance improvements.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 3, 2013 at 1:40:06 am

[John Davidson] "Here's a q - I have one suite that will be specifically for graphics creation and another that will be mostly editing in FCPX. Should I get a 6 core for editing and 12 core for graphics? Based on benchmarks that would get the best performance for each task, right?"

What software are you using?

A 12-core will be better for Ae/C4D. These apps both mainly use CPU-based renderers, and more CPU cores will yield better performance for both. Of course, a 24-core would have been better still...

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Dec 2, 2013 at 10:46:45 pm
Last Edited By Chris Harlan on Dec 2, 2013 at 10:49:36 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "There was a prerelease version of the MacPro, but it fetched a rather high price:

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2013/null-n09014/lot.27.html"

And, I'm really enjoying using it, though I AM thinking of painting it black. It has a few quirks that I can't share with you because of the NDA, but if I decide to buy Apple too, I'll just quash that thing, and spill the details.

And, no--there will not be a twelve core before 01/01/2014, because I bought all the available chips to use in necklaces for my many friends. Sorry.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 2, 2013 at 10:52:49 pm

[Chris Harlan] "And, no--there will not be a twelve core before 01/01/2014, because I bought all the available chips to use in necklaces for my many friends. Sorry."

I have heard silicon necklaces are all the rage this holiday season.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Dec 2, 2013 at 11:01:19 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I have heard silicon necklaces are all the rage this holiday season.
"

Hey, I'll put you on the list, brother.

Return to posts index

Paul Harb
on Dec 3, 2013 at 7:17:53 am

Nothing Apple does excites me at all any more. They make cool gadgets, but even those are starting to bore me.

Paul Harb-Producer/Director
Wrong Beach Multimedia
Dual 3.2 GHz Quad/10.5.5/8GIG RAM/FCP 6.0.4/QT 7.5.5

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 3, 2013 at 4:28:17 pm

"Nothing Apple does excites me at all any more."

Woah. The ennui just oozes off this post like the tears of a sad baby unicorn.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Dec 3, 2013 at 4:30:13 pm

[Bill Davis] "like the tears of a sad baby unicorn."

lovely, remind me to steal this line at some later date.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 3, 2013 at 4:41:25 pm

*REMINDER*

Herb, steal this line at some later date.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Dec 3, 2013 at 9:18:34 pm

[Bill Davis] "Woah. The ennui just oozes off this post like the tears of a sad baby unicorn.
"

I'm with Herb. I will undoubtedly steal that at some point. I promise, however, to think fondly of you when I do.

Return to posts index

Scott Williams
on Dec 5, 2013 at 6:25:22 pm

As a posting newbie let me add my 2 cents and wild speculation.

Given that Conrad in Germany has posted an availability date of December 16 and the shipping time for BTO Imacs is up to 7 business days, simple math tells us the Mac Pro will come on line for orders tomorrow.

As with 2012 predictions, there is no way this can be wrong given the signs.

SW

Return to posts index

Lathe Poland
on Dec 16, 2013 at 11:41:50 pm

I'm doing comparisons of the specs vs price ( I know that we don't know the numbers 100%) but I just read at MacRumors some updated specs:

For upgrades beyond the $3999 high-end stock configuration, here is our estimated pricing (all prices relative to the stock model):

CPU (Stock: 3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5)
- 3.0GHz 8-core: +$1500
- 2.7GHz 12-core: +$3000

Graphics (Stock: Dual AMD FirePro D500 with 3GB GDDR5)
- Dual AMD FirePro D700 with 6 GB GDDR5: +$600

RAM (Stock: 16GB 1866MHz DDR3 ECC - 4x4GB)
- 32GB (4x8GB): +$400
- 64GB (4x16GB): +$1600

Flash Storage (Stock: 256GB PCIe-based)
- 512GB: +$300
- 1TB: +$800

I spend my days in FCPX, Motion, After Effects, and Photoshop.

So Cores or GPU's Which category do you think I need the most muscle in?…if I had to choose…

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]