FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will Lion support FCP7?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gregorio Paolini
Will Lion support FCP7?
on Jun 26, 2011 at 12:21:14 pm

The debate on Fcpx is around a simple question: Is Apple still interested in the Pro market or not? Fcpx is not a new pro editing program with all the flaws of a Version 1.0: it is an (interesting, innovative even if incomplete) App. Its main target are not Pro people. It's not a matter of tapeless or something. We are producing two tv shows tapeless, come on! The truth is that every single step of this App is targeted to the guy with his MBP in his backpack. Using Fcpx on a SAN is impossible now. It's even impossible for a european company to buy it with a proper invoice with Vat. Am I wrong? Fine. You people from Apple just make a statement (right now, next week,not later) and assure Pro people that Fcp7 will be natively supported by Lion OS. Pros will get accustomed to wait for a miracle (like Randy Ubillos working hard on a rapid update af that App) and they will even buy , on next august, that new Mac Pro everybody is talking about. Or simply tell us: there is no way to use Fcp7 with Lion. And we'll say farewell to Apple. It's that simple.

Return to posts index

jason levy
Re: Will Lion support FCP7?
on Jun 26, 2011 at 12:55:03 pm

Yes, well that is the biggest problem at the moment. They don't seem inclined to share much information with us about two critical subjects;

- future support for FCP 7; ie continued updates, Lion compatibility. It is now impossible to add new seats so we can only speculate about what that means. That doesn't sound like "continued support". Yes, FCS "still works" but what are you supposed to do if you need to add seats? I have 2 huge projects cutting this year. We are already technically committed to FCS and out of the blue with no warning .. no more seats. Hmm.

- development priorities for FCPX; Exactly what can we expect them to add? I get it. FCPX is a cheap thing that is good for cutting (supposedly - haven't tried it yet. ) and all the other stuff you add with other software. Legacy projects? oh yes. FCS still works. For now. And on and on blah blah blah. Please don't flame me. I'm even sick of hearing myself complain.

So we are not only disappointed because the release was not what we expected, but we are totally in the dark about what the way forward is going to look like.

No information = worried people complaining and griping online. Apple never promised me a rose garden. I'm ready to move on if I have to- it's been good. But if we could just get some information about what they have in mind. It's like the wizard of oz.. you can't tell what the heck is happening behind all the smoke and flashing lights. And Steve Jobs never answers my email...

Jason

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 26, 2011 at 3:29:03 pm

[jason levy] "So we are not only disappointed because the release was not what we expected, but we are totally in the dark about what the way forward is going to look like.

No information = worried people complaining and griping online."

Exactly Jason. The equation you've so simply stated seems crystal clear to me. How anyone can fail to understand the connection is a mystery.

Those who point the finger at people who gripe, characterizing them and criticizing them as "unprofessional and immature," imply that these types of reactions are completely baseless, but it sure seems evident to me.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Dennis Kutchera
on Jun 26, 2011 at 1:01:59 pm

That's a good question because if you need to replace a workstation once new Mac Pros are released with Lion, you're toast because Apple has never allowed an older OS to load on a new machine, so no Snow Leopard will be possible. Used Mac Pros will be the only alternative if you want to stay with Final Cut Pro 7.

Apple has not only set themselves up for the pro market to abandon Final Cut Pro, but also the Mac platform. We set up the post and production for a TV station around Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Server, XServe and Xsan in 2009. It was a nice package from what everyone felt was a reliable source. That facility is no longer scalable. How can they now even simply add one more workstation with Final Cut Studio 3 installed? Can't, because Apple won't sell you the software. And how many other facilities around the world are built like this? Final Cut must have easily 50% of the post market world wide, The broadcast equipment supplier we used built a good piece of their business around this kind of installation. After all that has gone down with Apple, I can see a wholesale shift to Windows PC based solutions because you don't have to base you business on the hardware and software from one company, there always alternatives who can supply what you need when you use Windows. Also, Avid and Adobe run on both Mac and PC, so moving to either on the Mac today is good insurance against Apple doing something else in the future that could impact your ability to stay in business. If they dumped the MacPro down the road, you are ready to jump to Windows.

The big issue at stake for the post industry is not what Apple hasn't done right with Final Cut Pro X, but what they've done wrong by pulling the rug out from under the legs of Final Cut Studio 3 and Final Cut Server users. It's like one day finding waking up to find that you can no longer buy tires for a car. You can still use it as it is for as long as the tires you now own last, and then you're done.

Dennis Kutchera

Return to posts index

Bill Dawson
on Jun 26, 2011 at 2:15:31 pm

>The big issue at stake for the post industry is not what Apple hasn't done right with Final Cut Pro X, but >what they've done wrong by pulling the rug out from under the legs of Final Cut Studio 3 and Final Cut >Server users.

Amen

Return to posts index

Dave Barnard
on Jun 27, 2011 at 12:27:27 am

FWIW David Pogue has said that FCP 7 will work on Lion according to the Apple reps he has spoken to.

Return to posts index

Nevin Styre
on Jun 27, 2011 at 2:59:33 am

I've heard that while the programs will still work in Lion the installer is rosetta only, so FCS 3 would have to be installed on Snow Leopard before upgrading to Lion.

Return to posts index

Erik Naso
on Jun 27, 2011 at 6:48:51 am

No clean install.....Ugh!

Blog http://www.eriknaso.com
My Vimeo Page http://vimeo.com/user626030
Follow me on Twitter @ErikNaso

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]