FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does FCP X corrupt too easily?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
Does FCP X corrupt too easily?
on Nov 26, 2013 at 1:34:14 am

I've now seen this on two different Mac Pros running 10.8.5. FCP X seems to be corrupted based on a corrupt home user setting. I say this because the symptoms go away when you use a different user account. Except that otherwise the machine appears to be acting normally in all other respects and with several other NLEs.

Here are the two main symptoms:
1. FCP X opens into the project library rather than the last project worked on
2. When you open the timeline index, it is blank and cannot be closed again

Anyone else see these exact same symptoms? In the case of one of these machines (my own machine), I did a clean re-install of everything and upgraded to Mavericks. It was fine after that. Thoughts?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Does FCP X corrupt too easily?
on Nov 26, 2013 at 1:37:45 am

I didn't have those symptoms, but my home acct was corrupt. I believe you were in on that thread. I could trash every preference and setting, but still was getting weird stuff like I couldn't turn off audio scrubbing or snapping or skimming.

Waiting to rebuild my system with 10.1 after December project.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 26, 2013 at 1:54:09 am

[Bret Williams] "I didn't have those symptoms, but my home acct was corrupt."

Were you seeing any other symptoms in any other applications or the OS itself? The curious question is whether the user corruption is affecting FCP X or is it the other way around?

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 26, 2013 at 1:57:51 am

Hard to say. There was a lot of wacky stuff going on with adobe and bmd drivers and of course the dual full screen modes. But after turning off dual full screen capability, adobe updating their apps and turning off / uninstalling BMD drivers FCP X was the only thing screwy if I remember right. Simply logging in as guest worked fine. So I created a new user and that seemed to fix it.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Nov 26, 2013 at 6:55:06 am

I haven't encountered the issues you have been dealing with Oliver but FCPX seems to me to require ongoing maintenance and third party tools to work efficiently.

It's a lot lot better than it was when it was launched, and a lot easier to run than FCP7 was and what I've observed through reading about specific problems that experienced and inexperienced users have encountered is that any problems or issues are very user specific.

To solve these issues requires some detective work and the guilty party is normally a piece of 3rd party support software that has not been updated to work with either a new version of FCPX or as I experienced recently, an upgrade to a new operating system.

And that is a risk that you take every time you upgrade. Whilst you know that you will get things working again a lot of time is lost sorting out issues.

I recently found that, since upgrading to Mavericks, I couldn't escape from Full screen view without quitting FCPX. After a lot of time spent doing the normal things such as 1. Trashing preferences, 2. Repairing Disk permissions, 3. Trashing the Cache folder, 4. Removing all Matrox software and firmware until they catch up with Mavericks.

None of these worked. However I then reinstalled Digital Rebellions Preference Manager and Bingo, my problem was solved.

I think that preference manager has not been adjusted for Mavericks as I am still having issues with trashing preferences on an intermittent basis, but that could just be my set up.

Return to posts index

Jon Chappell
on Nov 26, 2013 at 4:06:02 pm

I just wanted to clarify because it may not be clear to others reading your comment that the latest version of Preference Manager is compatible with Mavericks, but older versions aren't, so if you experience problems make sure you're on the latest version.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metdata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
So: old version Preference Manager the actual culprit.
on Nov 26, 2013 at 4:10:49 pm

So really, the headline should actually have been "will not updating to the latest versions of sidecar programs you use with FCP-X cause it problems?

: )

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 26, 2013 at 5:02:19 pm

FWIW - In the scenarios I described, the machine was on 10.8.5, not Mavericks. PM was current. FCP X is quite simply unpredictable in its sensitivity to other issues. Plug-ins certainly could be a factor.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 26, 2013 at 11:57:42 pm

[Oliver Peters] "FWIW - In the scenarios I described, the machine was on 10.8.5, not Mavericks."

Just curious and may or may not be related, can you boot in to safe mode (hold shift)?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 27, 2013 at 12:02:33 am

I haven't messed with the new machine that I realized had the same issue. It's at a facility I freelance at and didn't want to monkey around too much. The first machine was my own and I tested a separate user. It was fine in the alternate user. I ultimately did a complete clean install of Mavericks on that machine with a clean re-installation of all applications.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 27, 2013 at 12:05:20 am

I'd be curious if you could boot to safe mode.

I am chasing some issues that are seemingly unrelated to FCPX, and safe mode is being silly.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 27, 2013 at 12:18:41 am

It might be a bit before I normally get back to that machine. Maybe I can run in tomorrow and check. In the case of this machine, everything else seems to be fine. Lately most of the work done on it has been in Premiere Pro CC.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 27, 2013 at 6:12:17 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I'd be curious if you could boot to safe mode."

I tested the facility's machine this morning. Yes, it boots in the safe mode, although it was very slow and took two attempts. FCP X doesn't run in the safe mode, of course.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

alban egger
on Nov 30, 2013 at 4:09:58 pm

[Oliver Peters] "FCP X is quite simply unpredictable in its sensitivity to other issues. Plug-ins certainly could be a factor."

Well, isn´t any NLE or any specialized and high-demanding software sensitive? And isn´t that the reason in the first place why we use Mac OSX and not Windows, where these problems are even more common.

I have no problem at all on my machines. I sometimes upgrade OS and FCPX mid-project and sometimes I wait. I am right now editing the same project on a MacPro with Mountain Lion and 10.0.9 and a Macbook with Mavericks. Both run flawless. Both have some plug-ins in common and some plug-ins to itself.

So in my experience FCPX behaves just like any other NLE: they want to be caressed before they hammer away.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Nov 27, 2013 at 11:15:02 am

[Jon Chappell] "I just wanted to clarify because it may not be clear to others reading your comment that the latest version of Preference Manager is compatible with Mavericks, but older versions aren't, so if you experience problems make sure you're on the latest version."

Thanks Jon, I had thought I had the latest version but decided to reinstall Preference Manager and it did resolve my problem.

Despite all the version upgrades Preference Manager is still one of the two essential Tools for working with FCPX, the other being Intelligent Assistance’s Event Manager.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Nov 26, 2013 at 6:52:45 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Anyone else see these exact same symptoms? In the case of one of these machines (my own machine), I did a clean re-install of everything and upgraded to Mavericks. It was fine after that. Thoughts?"

FWIW, haven't seen anything like that on 10.8.5 or later. And my system is anything but "clean". I've been upgrading everything in place for, literally, years. Starting on a Mac Pro, then Migration assistant to iMac a year ago, and running all sorts of stuff that would make an OS purist cringe. ;-)

I do run DU every few days, and repair permissions and whatever else pops up right away...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]