Problem burning DVD with compressor 4

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Megan Brown
Problem burning DVD with compressor 4
on Nov 26, 2013 at 1:09:14 am
Last Edited By Megan Brown on Nov 26, 2013 at 1:09:52 am

Hello there!

I am trying to burn a DVD in Compressor 4 and am needing help formatting my settings (and I have a few other questions.)

I shot my video in 60i using a Canion Vixia HFG20, and edited in FCPX.

I know how to de-interlace my video in Compressor, but I'm wondering about a few other settings...

1. It automatically defaults to MPeg 2 ... Should I keep this setting? Is this the best format for a DVD?
2. Will MPeg 2 be the highest quality possible for a DVD? IF not, what is the highest quality video possible?
3. It defaults to an SD DVD... but I shot in HD 1080i. What should I change to make sure it plays correctly?
4. Is there anything else I should mess with in the settings?
5. Will the DVD automatically play when I'm finished, ready to play it elsewhere?

Thank you for your help in advance!

Return to posts index

Russ Haskell
Re: Problem burning DVD with compressor 4
on Nov 26, 2013 at 1:23:43 am

1)Yes. Keep that MPEG2 setting.
2) Yes. The other optical media alternative is Blu Ray.
3) Compressor will make the needed adjustments.
4)In Frame Controls, set Resize Filter to Best.
5) If you use Compressor to burn, the video will play by hitting the play button with your DVD remote.

Russ

Return to posts index

Megan Brown
on Nov 26, 2013 at 1:33:06 am

Thank you for your help!

If you put the DVD into a computer, will it play automatically?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 26, 2013 at 1:32:03 am

1. - Thats the only DVD codec.
2. Yes. See 1
3. DVD is an SD format. Not HD. If you want HD that's called BluRay.
4. Yes. Don't deinterlace. SD is an interlaced format anyway.
5. If that was what you chose in the burn DVD settings in compressor. You can choose to have a basic menu or just play.

You're in the FCP X forum, so I assume you have FCP X. Why not go to File>Share>DVD? It's the same choices, but simplified for those not versed in DVD authoring. And if you're not exporting for a separate DVD authoring app like DVD Studio Pro or Adobe Encore, then you might as well use it. You can also burn BluRay if you have a BluRay burner and BluRay discs.( You'll have to add that share destination in preferences under destinations. ) If your burner is built into your Mac, you don't have a BluRay.

If your video is short enough, like 20min, you can burn a hybrid HD disc onto a standard DVD disc. If you try to burn a BluRay onto a DVD with share >BluRay, it'll default to an AVCHD format. Looks really good. It will play on most BluRay players, but not on DVD Players.

Return to posts index

Megan Brown
on Nov 26, 2013 at 1:36:06 am

Bret - Thank you for the info.!

Good call!! If I share to DVD using FCPX... do I need to de-interlace the video? If so, how do I do that in FCPX?

I was using Compressor to de-interlace the video before..

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 26, 2013 at 1:59:59 am

Why do you want to deinterlace the video? That will lower the quality of your video somewhat, and give you a more stuttery look. You'd be going from 60images a second to 30. And likely, since you shot 1080i, your shutter was faster than i would be had you been shooting progressive,

Why don't you try it interlaced first. Since you're burning an SD DVD, and SD is interlaced, I don't see the problem. HDTV is interlaced too. It's either broadcast 1080i, or 720p. 1080i has 60 fields and 720p has 60 frames. Doesn't mean stuff wasn't shot progressive of course.

If you don't get good results, try what Russ said about doing it IN compressor with the scaling setting set to best. What I've found is if you're watching the DVD on a SD television, it'll be fine. But if like most, you're watching it on an HDTV, being upscaled by the TV or DVD player, you'll see the difference.

You could alternatively try dropping your whole HD project into an SD sequence, and sharing to DVD from that. Perhaps X is better than legacy FCP at downscaling.

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Nov 27, 2013 at 7:28:27 am

[Bret Williams] "You could alternatively try dropping your whole HD project into an SD sequence, and sharing to DVD from that. Perhaps X is better than legacy FCP at downscaling."
I often need to output IMX from 1080i projects. What I like to do most is first sharing a 1080i .mov master file from the 1080i project, and then lay it onto a SD sequence, since I sometimes had some problems pasting the whole sequence, ending up with wrong scaled graphics etc. By the way, the .mov 1080i file is very easy to archive and can come handy in case of need for different transcodings.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy
early 2008 MacPro, BM Intensity Pro, early 2008 iMac, 2011 MacBook Pro, FCP7, FCPX, OSX 10.8.3

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 26, 2013 at 2:02:59 am

If you want to, X has a pretty decent built in deinterlace. Highlight the clip, or multiple clips in your Project. Then go to the inspector and at the bottom of the window have it display settings view. You should see a little checkbox that says deinterlace. When I mix interlaced SD with HD projects I've used that and been happy with the results. But SD is going to get soft in an HD sequence anyway, so deinterlacing doesn't make much difference.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]