FORUMS: list search recent posts

A couple new things in iMovie

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Williams
A couple new things in iMovie
on Nov 22, 2013 at 7:10:16 am

Just playing with iMovie since it supposedly contains the hidden code for FCP X 10.1.

I found just a few things that I think are new that don't exist in X yet. Nothing super special. Just noted.

Show used ranges. Sweet. And it changes as you open different projects. It's the little orange line at the bottom.

Custom speeds

And this little clip trimmer shows how much head and tail you have when doing a slip/slide. I miss how in FCP legacy during a slip you could see a ghost image of how much clip you had available on either side.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
Re: A couple new things in iMovie
on Nov 22, 2013 at 2:17:08 pm

All great stuff. I think "Used Ranges" is one of the reasons why Apple decided to combine the Project/Event structure into a single "Library' structure. With them separated, you couldn't have Project info write back to the Event database. It was pretty much a one-way down stream of metadata from Events to Projects. So this opens up some great enhancements. Probably in Media Management as well.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 22, 2013 at 8:36:09 pm

This mirrors my thinking as well.

And re-enforces my belief that Apple never got lost in the mindset of just "adding features" to the storyline editing module.

From virtually day one here, I've been arguing that the real excitement about X is how it works before and after the storyline (as much as I LOVE the speed and agility of my storyline operations these days!)

They've apparently been spending as much time on how X sits in the middle of a cohesive workflow - as they have trying to re-capture the historic way of operating for editors who prize "operational comfort" over new capabilities.

Can't wait for 10.1. This is truly FUN seeing what Apple has been working on!

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 23, 2013 at 6:48:30 am

I just finally grasped the whole new Library system in iMovie. And now that I do, it's pretty hilarious.

Apple has added a new feature which groups events and projects together called Libraries. Wow. Cool. But pretty funny when you think about it.... Now, we have an overriding element called a Library. Inside the "Library" we have both Events and Projects contained within in it. You must open a "Library" to begin working. You can open multiple "Libraries" at once. See where I'm going? If you go back to Legacy nomenclature it starts to look real familiar. Let's call a Library a Project. Let's call a Project a sequence. Now lets call an Event a Bin. So, in the new version of iMovie, you must open a Project (library) to begin working. Inside your Project (library) are Bins (events) and Sequences (Projects). You can have multiple Projects (libraries) open at once! Wow! Nobody has ever done that before! Except Apple from 1999-2011 when it was called FCP 1-7. :)

Now that Events are grouped into a library, it will be more common to use them as bins. Previously I would have one Event with folders and keyword collections. And also in new iMovie, projects don't actually exist separately within the library. Each project (sequence) lives in an Event. Just like a sequence in legacy had to reside in a bin (or the root browser, which was just a bin fwiw). It will just seem natural to create an event called "sequences" and put all of that library's projects in there instead of the project library folder one would normally create in X.

The neat thing, is that when you have two projects (libraries) open you can share the media from each's events (bins)! Couldn't do that with multiple projects open in legacy.... oh, wait. Of course you could. Isn't this fun?

It is really nifty that you now have an all projects (sequences) link and an all events (bins) link. That is actually going to be extremely handy if you have two projects open. And if you utilize footage from another library (project) it automatically copies the footage to your library and puts it in the bin (event) where the sequence (er project) resides. That's great. Unless you just wanted to use 3 seconds from an hour and a half 4k file or something. it copies the whole media file, not just the used portion. So you'll never have the problem of opening a project and the media being missing because the event isn't mounted. It's impossible. At least in the iMovie variant that exists now. I assume there will be more copy or link options in X so we can screw it up.

This new format, if implemented in X, leaves a question about where keywords will go. Will they be pertinent to the library, or to the event? I usually just use one event for a project. But if I'm more apt to utilize events as very powerful bins, I'd rather the keyword collections live outside the events, but inside the library. It would make sense since all the events in a library must get mounted. Really makes more sense for logging footage across events as well. You could have a library called football, and an event of reach game, and keywords would span all the events. Stuff like nice pass, good sack, etc.

So to rehash, a library is now like a legacy project, or perhaps sorta like a folder containing multiple events that you can mount or unmount as a group. And there's no more project library. Projects reside in events.

Here's a screenshot to make it all make so much sense

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Nov 23, 2013 at 10:24:02 am

Bret,

That's pretty cool, thanks for doing all the leg work. I have always worked very hard in naming my Events and Projects so that it's easy for me to match them up when I need to go back in time, but this system would be much easier to keep everything together in a simpler, less "needing to be clever in a naming convention" kind of way.

Starting new Libraries with Events and Projects should be very easy. My question would be as to how go back over the last 2 years and re-organize into Libraries. My guess is that you would load up all your Events and Projects, open 10.1, create/name the new Libraries and then drag and drop your older Events and Projects into the appropriate Libraries.

I guess we'll find out in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Nov 23, 2013 at 4:02:12 pm

Alex4D's snooping around the code shows that there will be options in 10.1 for migrating the old database into the new. Here's the relevant text-

"In Final Cut Pro 10.1 and later, projects and events are contained in a library.
" Click Update All to create a new library for the projects and events on each connected hard disk."
" Click Update Later to skip the update process for now."
" Click Locate to manually create a library for a specific hard disk, folder, or SAN location."
"Review the newly created libraries and confirm your projects and events are intact before emptying the trash."
"To skip copying your Projects and Events into the Library, click Ignore. (You may import them later.)"
"Copied Projects and Events can still be opened in earlier versions of %@. To copy your Projects and Events, click OK." [parts of text that include @ characters can be replaced by the app depending on the context. In this case the text would be 'iMovie' or 'Final Cut Pro']
"You are editing clips between libraries."
"You are editing compound clips or multicam clips between libraries"
"The Library must contain at least one Event"

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 23, 2013 at 5:02:09 pm

Looks like it will be a little more complicated and option ridden in X. But in iMovie, if you use a clip from another library, it doesn't ask or even mention it. It simply copies it from one library to the other in the background. Impossible to screw up. I assume in iMovie you can combine and copy projects and events with the same seamless function. But professional users will need more options and notifications as Alex4D found.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 23, 2013 at 5:49:38 pm

Bret, dude, I love ya, but please stop trying to get me to reference everything back to how Legacy used to work. It just makes my head hurt.

And honestly, if we keep constantly telling the editors trying to approach X to compare X in the terminology of Legacy, we're doing them a disservice. It creates an expectation of UI functional parity - and that's a trap. It tells them to look for things in the same kind of places they used to look in - and that's what's changed so much.

And it's starting to sound like someone saying - "hey, when I adjusted the timing on my old Chevy, I used a timing light" ... and the kid standing next to them trying to learn looks puzzled, because to him, adjusting the timing is plugging into the computer port - and using the menu to adjusting the timing.

I'm too old to keep going back to try to envision today, strictly in terms of yesterday.

Even freekin' Chad and Jeremy had this figured out=in the 60s - remember?

"But that was yesterday - and yesterday's gone."

; )

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 23, 2013 at 6:25:44 pm

Hey Bill, I love ya too, but that's the way I see it and it is pretty odd and interesting. If you have any argument as to why anything I said isn't true, share it. Yes Events are more powerful and DIFFERENT that bins. And keywords aren't the same things as sub clips. They're all media management and logging tools. But the truth is if this new structure gets implemented, it's essentially the same structure as in legacy. An overriding Library, in which is included events for your footage, and projects to edit your media in. And the fact that projects must reside INSIDE events INSIDE a library really brings the point home. In legacy it was the same. And overriding project in which you kept bins for your media and sequences to edit the media.

Don't worry. Things are still going to be much the same. If you previously used Event Manger to load up the specific projects and events for a particular "job for a client", Libraries will likely replace that. And you'll still be able to view all the mounted events as a list of events and all the mounted projects as a list of projects.

But you can't argue that grouping things into libraries is akin to the project grouping afforded all other NLEs including legacy. Library=a grouping of media assets and sequences. That is what we (and all other NLEs) used to call a PROJECT. I think it's humorous because I don't think Apple planned on this coming round full circle. And as usual, they have made it better. Just like multi cam and compound clips. But perhaps the nomenclature could have simply stayed the same. But probably not, since Aperture, iPhoto, iMoive, etc. had already taken on the "event" terminology and it is good to keep it the same across the board. If someone writes a new book called FCP X for FCP legacy users, they'd be nuts not to make the analogies, which will certainly help new adopters.

Return to posts index

alban egger
on Nov 24, 2013 at 2:11:18 pm

[Bret Williams] "But in iMovie, if you use a clip from another library, it doesn't ask or even mention it. It simply copies it from one library to the other in the background. Impossible to screw up."

Well, again. No one here knows IF we get such a library structure. And what you mention here is a terrible feature. I don´t want FCPX to copy stuff that is referenced in another event. Yes impossible to screw up, but in 2,5 years I never screwed up with media in X. Sometimes I copy, sometimes I reference. It all depends on the workflow I use (depending on client, timeframe, distribution…).
I can always tell FCPX to copy the media into certain events, but it is up to me to decide if and when that happens and which event/drive I want the footage to live in.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 24, 2013 at 6:13:21 pm

As I mentioned in another thread, and as Alex4D mentioned, there is code in iMovie that appears there will be many more options in X. Linking, copying, etc. It would at least copy an alias I'd imagine. There seem to be quotes few options for converting old projects into libraries too.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Nov 23, 2013 at 3:58:54 pm

I'm not sure about your analogy that Event=Bins. Bins in Legacy were for more granular organization, unless you only ever just had ONE Bin per job- that certainly wasn't my experience. I think Keyword and Smart collections will still be the primary organizational element for information.

I still think that there are certain scenarios where a separated Project and Event library structure would be beneficial- where groups of editors are all pooling use of the same footage, and the editors don't need to deal with seeing each other's sequences. But it seems like the metadata downside was too great, and so they've been combined into a central structure which will allow for things like used media being visible from Projects back to Events.

Just like with the metadata organization in FCPX itself, people will find the way that works best for them to use this big organizational soup.

Libraries could be for a job, with Events being individual days shooting (or multiple Events that span many days)

Or a Library could be for a client, with Events representing individual jobs.

There's all sorts of ways to put together the pieces Apple have put on the table.

But I wouldn't characterize it as a complete regression.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 23, 2013 at 5:02:49 pm

It's not a regression. It actually functions exactly the same and then some. But it also has the benefit of being structured just like legacy. The biggest difference being that projects reside IN events. There is no projects folder on the drive. The project still has a folder like X, but that project resides INSIDE an event folder inside a library. What you can't do is mount project A from Library B without also mounting all the events and projects from library B. How is that not exactly like legacy? If I want to open a sequence from another project you had to open the other project and all it's bins and sequences. VERY different than the current option to open a specific project and event individually.

Of course, just like in legacy, HOW one uses this structure is up to them. In legacy, you could certainly make a client project, with their bins, and a bin(s) for sequences. If it was ongoing and you reused a lot of their footage across projects, that would make sense. But this argument does not change the fact that the structure is exactly the same, only the nomenclature has changed. I would suggest that the same would be true in the new iMovie structure. If you were reusing footage over and over you might have a client library with common events inside. However, if you don't reuse footage for that client so often, it would certainly make more sense to have the library represent a single project, otherwise you are loading into memory ALL the events and projects in that library. So if you had a client library, you could end up mounting years of footage just to have access to a couple archive clips, sucking up vast amounts of ram and resources. I wouldn't have a client library any more than if have a client project in legacy. What Apple has done, is instituted their own version of event manager within the program. But unlike event manager sets, the sets are mandatory, and they called libraries. And twist being that projects reside inside events. It really changes the whole game, taking a more legacy project structure, but leaving in tact almost all the power of separate events and projects with a little of event manager function built in.

And since you can now save libraries anywhere you please, you can have a client folder on your hard drive, with all the libraries (projects) inside. This is much more legacy like. It's also better to keep people from fiddling in the finder. Right now, event manager or the user has to move projects and events in and out of the FC projects and FC events folder. In the new iMovie structure, you simply "open" and "close" the libraries of your choice. They don't move in or out of a folder. This enables you to keep and organize them anywhere on the hard drive you like. As it stands now, events and projects must live separately from your other assets like scripts, psds, AE projects, PDFs, invoices, or anything else you want grouped with a client or project. Now, I could have a folder on my drive for a project, and inside contains all the assets INCLUDING events, projects, media, renders, scripts, psds, AE files, invoices, everything. You COULD do this in legacy, but the risk was high because scratch disk settings were not saved with the project. (Good odds you'd import another projects footage to the wrong location.) keeping things grouped together makes them much more portable. Copy one folder and go. Of course that's if you keep everything on one raid or HD. Not sure how it all works if a library spans events across multiple drives! My brain hurts.

Well who knows if any of this will make it into X anyway!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 23, 2013 at 5:56:48 pm

[Marcus Moore] "Libraries could be for a job, with Events being individual days shooting (or multiple Events that span many days)

Or a Library could be for a client, with Events representing individual jobs.

There's all sorts of ways to put together the pieces Apple have put on the table.
"

This.

This is one of the things that makes X so uncomfortable for so many. When Apple created the Event Browser as a user-defined database - it left it's construction open ended as to organizational possibilities - and it also made it a bitch to describe simply to someone unfamiliar with the concept.

When in conversation with non-X editors I often get asked "so what is it and what does it do? And right now, all I can say is what do you think you might want it to do? And they always look confused. Not having experience with the tool means they're not very well prepared to solve problems with it.

It's just not a simple story.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 23, 2013 at 6:49:45 pm

Not to harp, but the situation was no different in legacy. You could use a project EXACTLY the same way. You could have a project for a client, with bins for projects just as you could have events for projects. Bins weren't completely useless. They were searchable, they could have bins inside bins (just like keywords inside an event) and clips could have ranges tagged and markers added. All of which showed much like favorites, with a twirl down of a triangle.

And sequences would reside in a particular bin. Just like this new structure.

But as I pointed out, this might not be the best thing. Especially in X, because if you have a huge library for a client, X is going to load up ALL the EVENTS and PROJECTS, using up memory and slowing X down. That's the basic reason why Event Manager was created. To keep stuff offline you don't need. Well, if you don't need all the footage you ever shot for a client for this current job for him, why would you load up a huge client library? I think more likely, you'd have a folder on the hard drive for your client, and keep all his libraries in it. A library for each project. If you need to share media from previous libraries, you'd mount them. The possibilities are endless, and not much different than any hierarchal directory structure. You can use it as you wish. But as it stands now, I certainly don't load up all the media for a client to work on their latest project. So in this way, the new structure could be somewhat limiting to some workflows. If you just need to load up one event from a huge library to get to one clip to use, you'll have to load up that huge library (just like in legacy you might have to load up a huge project to get at a single clip you need). But in either case you'd close the other project/library after getting the clip. It's nice that iMovie and X are copying the media over to the new Library for you to keep it organized.

All I'm saying, is Apple has thoughtfully returned (not regressed) a much desired structure not unlike other NLES, but also much improved. And changed the nomenclature to better suit their vision. But the analogies are solid in my view.

it's better and it pretty much eliminates the need for Event Manger completely.

Return to posts index

alban egger
on Nov 24, 2013 at 9:33:23 am

Bret, FCPX Paradigm goes far beyond naming Projects Events or libraries. I am very sure you will still be abke to turn a clip or graphic in an event into a timeline which then can be used in a project (sequence) where you make it into a compound combined with other clips or timelines and then this compound ends up in a multicam clip. Lost me? Thought so.

You can already now drag clips and keyword collections from different Events on different drives and with two commands (depending on your workflow) have the media placed where you need it so you never lose media. So the new library (IF it comes to FCPx) would not improve that really, because it works great already.

There is one demand a lot of cloents have: some sort of collaboration with several people working within the same event. If this library does that, fine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]