FORUMS: list search recent posts

The first Logic Pro X book the FCP users have been waiting for

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edgar Rothermich
The first Logic Pro X book the FCP users have been waiting for
on Nov 19, 2013 at 12:29:21 am

To all the FCPx users who use Logic to produce or mix music for their FCPx Project and struggle with this app, I've just released my new manual "Logic Pro X - How it Works"
This is not only the first manual available for LPX, it is the most comprehensive one. On 359 letter size, full color pages, I explain the app in great detail with additional background information that is often required to fully understand specific features. Many of the information in my book regarding the functionality of Logic Pro X is found neither in the official documentation nor anywhere else.

If you have read any of my FCPx books in my "Graphically Enhanced Manuals" series, then you are familiar with my uniques style of writing manuals. If not, then check out some of the screenshots of the book on my website and you will understand that this will go deep and you will hopefully appreciate how much time and effort I put in the book creating diagrams and graphics to explain and demonstrate even complex features and concepts in Logic.

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals

Thanks for checking it out, hope you like it.

Edgar Rothermich
(MacPro 8core, 16GB RAM, Fireface800, Euphonix MC Control, Logic Pro, FCPx)

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: The first Logic Pro X book the FCP users have been waiting for
on Nov 19, 2013 at 2:14:01 am

Awesome. Thanks Edgar... :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Nov 19, 2013 at 2:16:53 am

Great stuff- I'll bookmark it for a couple of weeks from now. Hopefully the 10.1 update will bring some better connective tissue between FCPX and Logic.

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Nov 19, 2013 at 8:52:16 am

Hey Edgar,

Thanks for the Manual. I have some questions:

1. Will the book also be available on iBooks?

2. If so, are there advantages functionality wise at buying it as pdf vs the, I presume, ePub format on the iBooks store?

3. If Apple would update FCPX and LOGIC PRO X soon to work better together, could the customers get an upgrade if there was one of your book?

Kind regards,

Return to posts index

Edgar Rothermich
on Nov 19, 2013 at 11:51:10 pm

Yes I'm working on the iBook version but don't have a release date yet. It takes some time to reformat it from Pages to iBooks Author and then adding all the interactivity and Glossary+link. And then it has to go through Apple's approval process.

Yes any updates to my manual I make is available for free. The iBooks on the iBookstore gets automatically upgraded (notified through the iBooks app) and for the pdf files, I have the customer email address through the PayPal order and usually send out email notifications to cusomters who bought a specific manual with a link to an updated pdf file (except the customer who unsubscribe to my mailing list). THe only exception was the rewrite of the FCPx manual this spring which was a lot of work and I just offered a the new ones for discounted priced to current customers. About the printed books, every time I update the pdf files, I update the Amazon book at the same time. This is the beauty of print-on -demand. I don't sit on 1000 outdated copies of my book in the garage. Whatever book you order from Amazon will be printed that day with the current updated version of that day. Any copy of any software app you buy on Amazon from the big publisher are virtually outdated. I keep my books updated as fast as possible.

About the coming December upgrade, I'm not sure how much different they will be. There was a lot of nonsense rumors floating around before Apple's October even that FCPx would be rewritten. Maybe the new December upgrade will be just a system upgrade for the MacPros as they did with the Retina upgrade. Maybe (hopefully) they implement the FCPx-LPX handshake. It looks like the foundation is there but not yet fully implemented. However, I still don't know they will cleverly translate the Roles concept into Logic. I was actually afraid that they would use that Metadata approach in Logic. Luckily we still have Tracks in Logic. We will see

Edgar Rothermich

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Nov 20, 2013 at 12:30:47 am

[Edgar Rothermich] "About the coming December upgrade, I'm not sure how much different they will be. There was a lot of nonsense rumors floating around before Apple's October even that FCPx would be rewritten. Maybe the new December upgrade will be just a system upgrade for the MacPros as they did with the Retina upgrade. Maybe (hopefully) they implement the FCPx-LPX handshake. It looks like the foundation is there but not yet fully implemented. However, I still don't know they will cleverly translate the Roles concept into Logic. I was actually afraid that they would use that Metadata approach in Logic. Luckily we still have Tracks in Logic. We will see"

That "complete rewrite" nonsense came from a guy who's blown smoke about BIG updates before (most notably before NAB this year being a HUGE FCPX update), so I ignored that talk.

But it's not going to be a simple tweaking for the MacPro either. All signs point to some structural changes to file structure and media management.

All that aside, the salient point here- making FCPX and LogicProX communicate better- no one knows at this point.

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Nov 20, 2013 at 11:19:56 am

Thanks for the resonse, Edgar!

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Nov 19, 2013 at 3:45:59 pm
Last Edited By Daniel Ludwig on Nov 19, 2013 at 3:46:53 pm

Hey Edgar,
my congratulations to your new book. You´re doing a really good job (again).

danny

Return to posts index

Edgar Rothermich
on Nov 25, 2013 at 5:23:01 pm

Amazon has my "Logic Pro x - How it Works" book now on sale for 34% off . Click on the Amazon button on my website http://DingDingMusic.com/DingDing/LPX1.html

Thanks

Edgar Rothermich

Return to posts index

Edgar Rothermich
on Dec 14, 2013 at 5:26:21 am

Finally, my Logic book "Logic Pro X - How it Works" is now available on Apple's iBookstore. Please click on the iBooks link on my website

Please note, this is an interactive Multi-Touch eBook (not a text-based Kindle style ePub format). It can be viewed with the iBooks app on the iPad and now also with the new iBooks app on your Mac (running OSX 10.9).
The approval process with Apple took a little longer and I used the time to correct more typos and some minor errors. This new update should be posted hopefully soon and will update through the iBookstore Notification system.
The new version will also include the more complete (graphically enhanced) Glossary with 400 words hyperlinked throughout the book. You can even learn Logic non-linear, going through the Glossary.

Thanks for your interest and don't forget to rate the book

Thanks

Edgar Rothermich

Return to posts index

Edgar Rothermich
on Dec 26, 2013 at 2:24:33 am

I just updated my Manual "Logic Pro X - How it Works" to reflect the changes of the latest Logic release 10.0.5 (plus a lot of typos and smaller errors)
Current customers who bought the pdf version should have received already an email with the free update.

Here is a list of new features that I now explain in the manual:
New Drummers
New EQ button in Smart Controls
New Link Mode in Piano Roll (One Track, Selected Regions)
New "Simple Mode" for Metronome
New "Loop Family" and GUI changes in Apple Loops
New "My Info" tab in Preferences
New iTunes Playlist field in Share window
New "Musical Typing" routing
New download into "GarageBand Mode" behavior

eBook version on iBookstore
The update for this Logic book on the iBookstore is delayed because Apple won't accept any new uploads until Dec28 due to maintenance. As with any eBook updates, customers will see a Notification in their iBooks app to download the new version for free when it's available.

Amazon printed book version
All my books on Amazon are made available through the Print-on-Demand service by their sister company CreateSpace. One advantage of that concept is that any books are also up-to-date at any time. Once I have a new pdf file ready, it will be available as a printed book within 24 hours. There are no warehouses with old, previously printed, books that have to be sold first. My Logic book on Amazon is the current one based on the brand new Logic v10.0.5
BTW, as of today the book is still on sale with 47% off the regular price.

Edgar Rothermich

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]