FORUMS: list search recent posts

MacPro prices released.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Davis
MacPro prices released.
on Nov 18, 2013 at 9:37:23 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Nov 18, 2013 at 9:44:32 pm

(Oops, guess this was common knowledge -must have been releases when I was busy elsewhere)

Nothing to see here. Go about your business,

Old news...

Looks like $2999 for the quad core and $3999 for the 6-core.

On the apple store from a link that just crashed my iPad.

Discuss.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
Re: MacPro prices released.
on Nov 18, 2013 at 9:42:41 pm
Last Edited By Marcus Moore on Nov 18, 2013 at 9:45:52 pm

This is the second time in as many days this has been floated as new info.

Those pages on Apple's online store went up the same day as the October event.

But thanks for getting my hopes up, Bill!

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Nov 18, 2013 at 9:50:36 pm

Not all surprised by the price structure. Would like to know who much the new version of "X" is going to be. Time will tell.

Watched the video of how the new Tube Pro is assembled. Very interesting to see the process.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Nov 18, 2013 at 9:53:52 pm

[David Mathis] "Would like to know who much the new version of "X" is going to be."

Only a couple weeks 'til we know. But it's either going to be $0 or $299.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 18, 2013 at 10:18:55 pm

[Marcus Moore] "Only a couple weeks 'til we know. But it's either going to be $0 or $299."

Oh I'm sure it will be $299 new.

The issue is whether it's $299 for everyone including those who already own earlier versions.

As I understand it, the App Store doesn't have any system in place for renewal or upgrade pricing. It's just buy this item - at this price. Period.

I think the issue is if they offered anything like a $49 upgrade for existing users, they'd have to plumb the entire store database into some process for checking existing ownership - and the number of people who would try to scam "upgrade codes" instead of just buying the software at retail would make for a big mess.

Maybe they could have some way to "update" existing owners app code without pushing the whole new product, but I'm not technically sophisticated enough to understand if that would be more hassle than it's worth.

We'll know in a couple of weeks, I guess.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Nov 18, 2013 at 10:23:34 pm

There's no capacity for upgrade pricing in the appStore.

Developers have wanted it for a while- but Apple either isn't ready or just isn't interested.

See LogicPro9 to LogicProX. No upgrade path. It was just another straight $199.

That's why I say it's an either or scenario. It's either going to be a free upgrade for existing users (which I doubt), or $299 for everyone.

Return to posts index

Clint Wardlow
on Nov 18, 2013 at 10:28:42 pm

[Bill Davis] "Oh I'm sure it will be $299 new."

[Bill Davis] "I think the issue is if they offered anything like a $49 upgrade for existing users, they'd have to plumb the entire store database into some process for checking existing ownership - and the number of people who would try to scam "upgrade codes" instead of just buying the software at retail would make for a big mess."

I have paid well over $299 as an upgrade price for my software many, many times. For a professional NLE paying that full price for the new version doesn't seem expensive in the least. But hey, I wouldn't complain if it did only cost $49 or was even free.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 18, 2013 at 10:36:51 pm

[Clint Wardlow] "But hey, I wouldn't complain if it did only cost $49 or was even free."

I have a feeling it's going to be a free update.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Nov 18, 2013 at 11:11:05 pm

The only reason to do this is as a goodwill gesture, but I have to wonder who it benefits?

People who haven't bought X yet would still have to pay the first-time install price of $299.

People who have already bought it and are actively using it are (like me) probably happy to pay $299 again after 2+ years. I suppose it would be a good loyalty perk, but if you're making money off the software $299 isn't going to scare anyone off from upgrading.

I suppose if there's a large enough group of people who originally purchased X, found it didn't meet their needs, but decided not to seek a refund- and it's been sitting on their machine idle for a year or two. I suppose a free update might encourage those people to give it another look...

But I think Apple would be just as far ahead in that case if they just continued with the 30 day free trial for assessment purposes.

I do think it's a possibility, but a remote one.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 18, 2013 at 11:25:17 pm

[Marcus Moore] "I do think it's a possibility, but a remote one."

I just don't see anything coming down the pipe that's any more "revolutionary" than what's already there. Interface upgrade and a few tweaks that bring it more in line with the advanced features from iMovie?

It already has 4k support, remember?

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Nov 18, 2013 at 11:33:03 pm
Last Edited By Marcus Moore on Nov 18, 2013 at 11:34:38 pm

Have you read any of Alex Gollner's posts where he digs into the unreleased FCPX code that's living in the new iMovie?

http://www.alex4d.com/notes/item/imovie-2013-and-final-cut-pro-x-10-1

http://www.alex4d.com/notes/item/imovie-2013-is-consumer-ui-on-fcpx

http://www.alex4d.com/notes/item/imovie-2013-and-fcpx-10-1-part-3

The Coles Notes version is that it looks like there's a lot going on at the very least in the project/event structure and media management side. There's way... WAY more as noted in Alex's articles.

That said, not everything in code may end up working in the next shipping version- but if a good portion of what Alex has sniffed out is relevant- there's improvements in many areas. At least as much as in what constituted a Legacy FCS update.

edited to add- actually X has 5K support at this point- can't remember when that was added.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]